TBH Kayak River Trip??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txarrows View Post
    This is definitely a 2 day trip. We started our 9 mile trip at 7am and we got to our destination at 6pm. There was a little work involved due to the river being a little low. We had to get off and drag our kayaks for a few yards. I’m glad I took plenty of water and sun block.
    I’ve done this trip multiple times in a single day. In a canoe it takes about 7 hours paddle time, and approx 4-5 in a kayak. I’ve done this stretch of river over 50 times, and the majority of them are in a loaded out canoe which drags bottom easily. I’m actually doing it next month with a bunch of buddies for my bachelor party

I do recommend two days to enjoy it more though.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
      I’ve done this trip multiple times in a single day. In a canoe it takes about 7 hours paddle time, and approx 4-5 in a kayak. I’ve done this stretch of river over 50 times, and the majority of them are in a loaded out canoe which drags bottom easily. I’m actually doing it next month with a bunch of buddies for my bachelor party

It took us forever maybe because we had stop a lot.

Comment

Depending on when the date is I’d be down. Hoping to have the new kayak rack finished for my truck in the next couple of weeks. Pretty much I’m tied up until mid July though due to wedding things.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post

I do recommend two days to enjoy it more though.
          Do you just camp on the shore on an overnight?

Comment

Yes and no. The banks on either side of the river are private land. No camping allowed. You have to find an island to camp on, then just set up on shore. Be careful and make sure you’re high enough off the water though. I’ve been through a few storms alon with the dam releasing and seen the water rise 6-7 feet in a matter of hours. Absolutely tie the rigs off every night.

Comment

I offer to help on a 33 mile wild river trip. I have not applied for the lottery weekend tags yet. You don't need tags during the week. They have nice camping at the end. You can ride the shuttle up so you don't have to duplicate trips with vehicles. Plenty of other exploration in the area.

Now that we are in drought the water flow should be really good. It's only class 3 for the last bit.

It's pretty far for most of you.

Comment

I've done the trip below PK a bunch and it would be a great place to go. Two days is all you really need if you get started at a decent time. Plenty of islands and places to camp mid-way. Rochelles runs a shuttle as well from the 16 bridge to their place 19.5 miles below....

Comment

How deep is the river in that area?

Comment

Not deep. Depending on how much they’re releasing and where you’re at anywhere from 6” to 10-15’. Most of the river is 2-3’ feet along the way, with some spots being considerably deeper.

Comment

I'm interested. Just need more details (dates, length of trip, location)

Comment

I need a kayak then I could go...

Comment

Originally posted by Boss Buck View Post
                          I need a kayak then I could go...
                          If it’s the trip below the PK dam on the Brazos you can rent kayaks or canoes from Rochelle’s. Drive up to Rochelle’s and park at their lot right on the river. Pay them $20 for shuttle, and $20-30 for the kayak/canoe depending on what you choose. They’ll shuttle you and all your gear to the ****, and turn you loose. You finish up when you arrive back at Rochelles 19.5 miles later. Your vehicle is there waiting for you to load your gear.

Comment

Originally posted by macguyverberry View Post
                            I'm interested. Just need more details (dates, length of trip, location)

X2

Comment

i would be in. i have 2 other yaks if someone needs to borrow one

Comment

Back in March we did a 2 day, 22 mile trip starting below the Whitney Dam on the Brazos, and pulled out just northwest of Waco.

Comment

Working...
                                X