Deer feeders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer feeders

I've got some 55 gallon drums at my disposal and thinking about adding a few feeders to the ranch. What do you guys do to build feeders from these drums?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Decide on what kind of feeder you want? Buy spin feeder w/ timer and go from there

Comment

Go to academy and buy the moultree leg kit, and then get the spin unit you like and then put together

Comment

Is the moultree leg kit pretty sturdy?

Comment

It is a good mounting system but I opted to replace the legs with the galvanized chainlink fence posts from Home Depot after the neighbors cows wrecked one of my feeders. They are one piece and very sturdy.

Comment

galvanized chainlink fence posts 8-10ft
            Belly Band - Buccee's or feed store
            Digital spin feeder - What you can afford
            SOLAR PANEL secured the belly band and barrel

I'd make sure you SEAL all the bung holes
            Depending on the condition of the barrel I'd rattle can it with rustoleum or bed liner.

Comment

This is the way I build them. 2" angle iron, legs set at 22.5 degrees using 1" schedule 40 steel pipe. Bullet proof feeders.

Comment

Originally posted by Okiehunter View Post
                This is the way I build them. 2" angle iron, legs set at 22.5 degrees using 1" schedule 40 steel pipe. Bullet proof feeders.

What did you do about a varmint cage?

Comment

Elininator Plate

I would recomend biting the bullet right off and getting a West Texas Feeder with the Eliminator plate and "The Timer" and you will not have to worry about a varmint cage.

We started off with the Remington 6volt feeder with academy cage. The cage just gave them something to hold onto while they spun your corn out. Then i built some heavy duty cages out of angle iron that made it 18" to the spin plate. This kept the coons from getting to the corn but what we noticed was the majority of the corn dropped straight down. So as soon as the dominate animal showed up and planted himself right under the feeder the others left. The eliminator throws corn way out and the sucks up to the funnel.

Comment

What did you do about a varmint cage?
                    No need a cage, we run Eliminator plates on all our feeders. I build all my own that look kind of like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Okiehunter View Post
                      No need a cage, we run Eliminator plates on all our feeders. I build all my own that look kind of like this.

Nice set up.

Couple of questions:

Seems like the coons might hang on the panel wire and mess it up ? Panel underneath catch plenty sun?
                      Last edited by Big pig; 06-21-2016, 09:44 PM.

Comment

I have used the Moultrie feeder attachments and the only time I have ever had a problem was before I put up pens around all my feeder 2 cows decided to go underneath at the same time.
                        The result was the attachment bent into my barrel and after some banging around and readjusting, 3 years later it is still up and working.

Comment

Nice set up.

Couple of questions:

Seems like the coons might hang on the panel wire and mess it up ? Panel underneath catch plenty sun?
                          Yes the coons will sometime be a problem with the wire, you can fix that easy enough. Yes enough sun put they stay cleaner if you mount them above the feeder.

Comment

This is what I rigged up 9 bolts, nuts, washers three short bent poles and three legs and then seal it up with silicone.

I took the top of and put in a funnel and a plastic top.

Bought a spinner off Amazon, sunslinger, with an attached solar panel and I have loved my feeder. I am about to add something to it to keep the coons off.
                            Attached Files

Comment

nice

Comment

Working...
                              X