Boat guys / Boat value question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like to buy my late dads boat from my mom but having a hard time trying to find out its value . It is a 1978 Glastron bass boat with a `78 115 hp Johnson and a `78 shoreline trailer .
    What I know is it has not been started in 5 years but is not froze up . I`m sure all the batteries should be replaced , and the tires have dry rot cracks in them . Many ends of the wires to the main start battery are corroded and need to be replaced . I know the gas was run out of carbs the last time used but I`m sure there is a possibility they will still have to be rebuilt/replaced . The boat is in pretty good shape outside , and although it has been stored under a shed is faded and has the usual scratches and dings that come from use in a boat this old .I`m sure the water pump impeller should be replaced . I have tried to do a search for like boats that have sold to get a estimate of a like style boat , I even tried contacting a Marine surveyor to have him look and give a price of value in the condition it`s in , but I guess I`m too small of a client to even get a response from him . So I`m asking you boat guys , if you were looking for a used boat and ran across this , what do YOU think it would be worth in said condition ? Or where could a person find out the value of a boat like this ? Thanks guys for any replies .

Need to know model of boat and motor, and number of axels and length of trailer. . You can look at Boat NADA online and get an idea of price.
    Last edited by ColinR; 05-24-2017, 09:44 AM.

Comment

500 tops

Comment

Originally posted by Mambajeep View Post
        500 tops
        I was going to say $1k because it's Mom.

Comment

The boat, trailer and outboard are almost 40 years old, it's not a collector's boat, so what would you pay for the rig?

It's one of those it's worth what you can get for it deals and if I wanted it I wouldn't pay more than 4 or 500 dollars for it.

Comment

I just spent $2584 getting my 1989 boat, motor and trailer back up and running. Basically fixing the trailer with new tires, wheel, springs, spare tire, led lights etc $1048,
            then the motor for $1277 ( rebuild carbs, new stator, water pump clean out, new solenoid, clean fuel tank out, new gas cap installed.

all totaled, $2584

I personally wouldn't pay more than about $750 - $1000 for your dad's boat.

Good Luck, RD
            Last edited by ranchdog; 05-24-2017, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Forty year old boat and motor that will need some TLC, I'd say $500-$750. All she can do is say no....or cut you out of the will. There's a reason why BOAT stands for - Bust out another thousand

Comment

I'm with the $500-1000 range also. Old boat, needs money in it you will never get back out.

Edit: I bought a 94' kenner tunnel hull and 94' yamaha on a aluminum coastline trailer for $2000. Seemed like a great deal at the time, about 6K later i'm finally about to go fishing on my own custom rig. The 6K was with a LOT if DIY work also. Looking back I wish I only offered a $1000, and that was for a 1994 boat. A 78' is getting older in a hurry.
                Last edited by Leaverrite; 05-24-2017, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Ya, I agree. Its really not worth much. It's one of those deals where you can probably get more value out of the motor and the trailer separately.

Comment

500.00 max because it has sentimental value. Gonna take a lot of cash to get it going.

Comment

No more than $1k, but I lean more towards $500 just knowing it's a project and doesn't sound like it's in take an hour down the road and fish all morning kind of shape. You will likely get up in cost of repairs quickly, so don't over price the purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Whiskers View Post
                        500.00 max because it has sentimental value. Gonna take a lot of cash to get it going.

I'm with this.

Going to cost a whole lot more to get that boat back on the water than what it's actually worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Last edited by Mayhem; 05-24-2017, 10:36 AM.

Comment

I agree with a comment above. You could get rid of that motor and trailer in a heartbeat....its the boat itself that nobody wants.

Comment

Originally posted by shaft_slinger00 View Post
                            I'm with this.

Going to cost a whole lot more to the that boat back on the water than what it's actually worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Yep, as I quoted above I am at $2584 to get mine back in the water and I bet mine was in better shape than your Dad's. Mine is a 1989 Cobia Center Console with a 1994 Johnson outboard and I think it was worth getting it back up to towing and fishing capability. But I won't ever get the money back out of it since it is a 1989 boat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	boat.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	24497331

Comment

Pics? Status of floor and transom? I'm leaning worth more than some of the above depending on boat condition.

Comment

Working...
                              X