Flat bed trailer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I currently have a 20 foot flatbed trailer that I use to haul blinds. Had it made. Angle Iron 20 footer. All other 20 footers are pipe trailers. I do not haul heavy stuff, just alot of blinds.

question, Does anyone know if there is a max length for bumper pull flat beds. I would like to have a 26ish foot trailer so that I can get more blinds on it.

Anyone?

45' max trailer length
    65' overall (tow vehicle and trailer)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by slabnabbin View Post
      45' max trailer length
      65' overall (tow vehicle and trailer)

Yep.

Just make sure the combined GVWRs of the truck and trailer don't exceed 26,000 lbs. doesn't matter how heavy it is (unless you're over that number), but you'll need a CDL if those #s add up to more than 26k.

Comment

I have built 30’ bumper pull pipe trailers and never had a problem with inspection. Lots of bumper pull campers longer than that.

Comment

Also, don't cross state lines either way...the DOT writes rules on the spot then.

You can also register the trailer for any GVWR you want, regardless of what the tag says, but you cannot exceed the registered weight.

Comment

Dale makes good points.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
              Also, don't cross state lines either way...the DOT writes rules on the spot then.

You can also register the trailer for any GVWR you want, regardless of what the tag says, but you cannot exceed the registered weight.

good info. I pull a 31 foot bumper pull camper that weights 9k. So having a big flatbed trailer made should not be an issue. 28 foot would hold 10 blinds. Would love to be able to haul that many at one time. I would still want it to be an Angle Iron trailer. Pipe is just to heavy and too dang hard to connect straps too. PITA for sure.. would probably use heavier gauge angle Iron.

Thanks for the responses..

Comment

Mitch, i would go to a gooseneck, flat deck.

How many feet of deck would be optimal for what you want to do?

Comment

Mitch, i would go to a gooseneck, flat deck.

How many feet of deck would be optimal for what you want to do? And would you ever want to haul a tractor or vehicle on it?

Sorry, that was supposed to be an edit. Not a quote.

Comment

dont want to buy a 3/4 ton truck. like my half ton Yota

Comment

Buy a real truck, Mitch!

You should be able to get a 28' flat deck that will do that easily, but it's gonna be rough on a 1/2 ton on the bumper. Put a gooseneck hitch on that yota and you'd like it a lot better.

If you aren't going far, you could get by on the bumper, but it will steer you as much as you steer it...and I'd guess that trailer will weigh 6000-7000 empty.

Comment

I'm probly over guessing that on a bumper pull...probly 5500. Still not gonna be fun loaded.

Comment

I'm probly over guessing that on a bumper pull...probly 5500. Still not gonna be fun loaded.

10 blinds weights about 1200lbs. so 6500 lbs is not that big of a deal.... prob have electric brakes put on this trailer.

Comment

Yep, I was over estimating the weight of the blinds.

Comment

Originally posted by Krivoman View Post
                              10 blinds weights about 1200lbs. so 6500 lbs is not that big of a deal.... prob have electric brakes put on this trailer.
                              You’ll be close to the limit gvwr with truck and you’ll definitely need brakes on trailer.

Comment

Working...
                              X