Slug gun??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
    Cool. I bought that gun just for hunting in LR. My lease is South of Kountze on 326 and almost backs up to LR.
    so I have a smooth bore rem 887 what slugs would you recommend trying?? ima fool with it this week sometime. any chance you wanna sell that moss 695 lol
    Last edited by EastTxHog; 11-10-2018, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
      It would be for another custom slug gun build.
      What is the reason for the particular serial number?

Comment

Originally posted by EastTxHog View Post
        yeah I hunt there bro, man ive seen some big deer in there and enough hogs to fill a skyscraper. I bow hunted it seen deer all day just not in range. then I started rifle hunting my lease I have in Saratoga for a nice 7 point I have coming in. but bout to get back in that LR unit this week. I drive the blue Silverado youll see in there every now again
        Is this the unit with the Bat tower. First time I saw it I had no idea what the heck it was.

Comment

so I have a smooth bore rem 887 what slugs would you recommend trying?? ima fool with it this week sometime
          A box or Remington, a box of Winchester, a box of Fiocchi, a box of federal, and an IC choke.

I have heard the rifles chokes can be beneficial.

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
            Is this the unit with the Bat tower. First time I saw it I had no idea what the heck it was.
            I don't think so ive never ran into a bat tower out there just a bunch of stinky pigs a lot of rattle snakes and some deer

Comment

so I have a smooth bore rem 887 what slugs would you recommend trying?? ima fool with it this week sometime. any chance you wanna sell that moss 695 lol

Not sure as I dont shoot slugs in smooth bores. Never could hit much with them. Yea, there's a chance but it's extremely slim.

Comment

"N" designates a 3" 20ga receiver on the standard weight frame (12 ga frame). It was before they came out with the "LW" models. "X" at the end also designates the same, except it is a 2-3/4" receiver made from the standard weight frame. I have a custom barrel that was made for the "X" or "N" receivers. Older 870 barrels will not fit the newer LW 870 receivers of that time.

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
                  Not sure as I dont shoot slugs in smooth bores. Never could hit much with them. Yea, there's a chance but it's extremely slim.
                  Pm me a fair price and we can make something work lol

Comment

I don't think so ive never ran into a bat tower out there just a bunch of stinky pigs a lot of rattle snakes and some deer
                    This is it but it’s all covered in vines now. It’s just out in the middle of the woods.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
                      This is it but it’s all covered in vines now. It’s just out in the middle of the woods.
                      wow its very possible man that unit is huge could be I just never ran into I think its 27,000 acre unit.

Comment

Tagging this thread. Got drawn for a slug only hog hunt. In for advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                          Because most barrels are removable via barrel nut, barrels have a tendency to shift when shot, even though they may seem tight in the receiver. If you have a scope mounted to a receiver, and the barrel shifts, the point of impact shifts to where the barrel is pointing, not where the scope is looking. That changes the point of impact at longer distances. But still works with shot shells because shot shells spread. With a cantilever scope mount, the scope is always pointing where it was sighted in at, even if the barrel shifts in the receiver of the shotgun. You can even further increase the accuracy of the gun by "pinning" the barrel or making it permanent. This is what specialty slug guns do such as the Savage 212 and 220. The barrel on those are fixed in place. Hope that makes some sense to ya.
                          Thats why my last two slog barrels were cantilever, I got sick of resighting it in. Now we just shoot one to make sure its still on.

Comment

opinions on the Mossberg 500 with the rifled barrel? I was looking at them for the public land I hunt says you can shoot a slug 100-150 accurately with them. wondering how true that really is!
                            What guage you talking about? I have a the 12ga 500 with a rifled barrel, 100 yds yes but 150 eh not real confident with the heavey sabot I use, I've killed deer with it at lake waco PHL.

Comment

wanna sell a rifled barell mossy lol
                              Naw I'm all set lol

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                                If you’re serious about hunting with slugs, I would definitely go with a cantilever rifled barrel.

My mossberg 930 shoots Fiocchi 7/8oz reduced recoil around 2” at 50 with Williams fire sights.
                                agreed on getting a cantilever

Comment

Working...
                                X