Youth hunting license question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Youth hunting license question

Maybe not a question, more like an observation.

I went online today and purchased hunting licenses for myself and my younger son Jake. Jake turns 17 next week on August 23. I just assumed that I would be purchasing an adult license for him this year, but the online system would only give me the option of purchasing a youth license. I thought this couldn't be right, so I checked the TPWD website and read the following:

Youth Hunting License
    Type 169:$7
    Valid for any person, resident or non-resident, under 17 years of age at the date of license purchase... blah blah blah...

So even though the license won't be valid until Sept 1 and Jake will already be 17, he still hunts with a youth license this year. Seems like a loophole but saves me some bucks. The part I'm struggling with is that a game warden can't tell by looking at his license the date it was purchased. I guess I can let him carry the receipt, and they could always look it up online.

So I guess finally the question part. Does this seem right? I think the answer is no, it doesn't seem right. But somehow it is.

Nothing wrong with it. This is his last year to get a cheap license. He was lucky enough to be born after the sale of licenses begin, and before the current ones expire.

Comment

yes, a GW can tell when it was purchased. Their computer system will tell them that. They bust a lot of people who tell them they shot a deer on such and such date, then find out they bought their license a day after. Busted.

And to answer your question, yes, it seems right. Think the plan is that you need an adult hunting license by the time you're 18. Hard to do that when your birthday falls during the license period. Can't make you buy a new one so they simply go by date of birth when purchasing. Easiest and simplest way to do it. Adding exceptions and stuff just add to more administrative work, which costs money. This way is simple.
      Last edited by rladner; 08-15-2018, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Does he have the Hunters Ed. Certificate also.

God Bless
        Bish

Comment

Originally posted by Bish View Post
          Does he have the Hunters Ed. Certificate also.

God Bless
          Bish
          Yes, the regulation on Hunters Ed is pretty clear, the requirement starts the day of your 17th birthday.

Comment

I had this exact same conversation with two game wardens back in the winter.

They said there was no clear answer for this situation and said they weren't going to write a kid a ticket for it.

Comment

Had same situation with my son. His bday is Sept 6. The year he was turning 17 we bought his licence before his birthday so we were able to use the youth license one more time. Your son is able to use the youth license this year since he was under 17 at time of purchase.

** On a side note-- we ended up buying our son a Lifetime License for his HS graduation present. Money well spent IMO..

Comment

I have been wondering about this exact question. My son is in the same situation, he turns 17 on September 6.

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Comment

Enjoy the discount. He will need a fishing license at 17. My oldest was in that situation last year. I checked just to make sure I couldn't sneak him by again but looks like his went up significantly.

Comment

Originally posted by JackRyan View Post
                    I have been wondering about this exact question. My son is in the same situation, he turns 17 on September 6.

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk
                    I think the birthday after Sept 1 is pretty clear, he is entitled to hunt on a youth license if purchased before his 17th birthday. He is also still 16 when the license becomes valid. What had me scratching my head is that my son will turn 17 after I purchased the license, but before the license is even valid (Sept 1, 2018 through Aug 31, 2019).

Comment

have him take the hunter ed to be safe never can have enough education. Both my girls got hunter ed before I allowed them in the woods. my youngest took the class the day she was old enough. Also had them both do the bow hunter ed also never hurts to have it early

Comment

Originally posted by mooney_ag View Post
                        Enjoy the discount. He will need a fishing license at 17. My oldest was in that situation last year. I checked just to make sure I couldn't sneak him by again but looks like his went up significantly.
                        This is another goofy thing. The system would not allow me to purchase a fishing license for him because he hadn't turned 17 yet. The adult fishing license becomes a requirement as soon as you turn 17, it doesn't matter what time of the year it is. If I bought his fishing license on his birthday, it would expire a week later, unless I paid $7 more for the year-from-purchase all water package. We have no fishing plans before Sept 1 so I'll just wait until then.

And yes, it's a big jump from youth hunting license and no fishing license, up to a super combo! But it's still a bargain.

Comment

Working...
                        X