Bashing Mailboxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bashing Mailboxes

While on the stand this morning, wife sent me a pic text, saying they got all of them. Mine and 5 neighbors mailboxes are laying on the ground. Guess they came by with a baseball bat!!
    This is about the 6th time now and I'm tired of it. I want to put something up that will break the bat instead. Can I do that?
    What's the law on putting up a mailbox?

I’d say have one welded up out of some steel, paint it white like it was a thin metal one. Let them take a whack at it.

Comment

Can’t put anything up to cause harm. However if you bought a nice heavy duty mailbox (Fort Knox) and put it up on a piece of drill stem filled with concrete I would bet it would total a teenagers lifted truck so a baseball bat would probably fail
      Last edited by glen; 12-30-2019, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Fill a dummy box with cement.

Comment

1/4" steel box ought to hold up!

Comment

Wait... I change my answer to what TN_Boy said Lol though, a trail cam may still be a good idea if you dont know who's doing it.
            Last edited by BlackHogDown; 12-30-2019, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Purchase new mailbox, stand upright, place 4 inch pvc inside and fill remaining space with concrete. Install as normal. They will on hit it 1 more time.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                Can’t put anything up to cause harm. However if you bought a nice heavy duty mailbox (Fort Knox) and put it up on a piece of drill stem filled with concrete I would bet it would total a teenagers lifted truck so a baseball bat would probably fail
                This, and the reason for such an overbuilt mailbox is the regular ones kept getting blown over somehow. Its a dang mystery...

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                  A nice 1/4” made box with drill stem isn’t made to cause harm. It’s made to stand up to the elements long term

Comment

You can be held liable for building one that causes harm during an accident. So you could build a Super heavy duty box but the post still has to meet USPS safety guidelines. But a 1/4 plate box would sure vibrate a bat!!!!

Comment

My neighbor has a tpost drove in the ground beside his. He painted it the same color as his mailbox and it's hard to see it, if you don't know it's there. Haven't had anyone mess with mine in several years, but they hit us 3 times in a row the last time they did.

Comment

Originally posted by K_Wittenburg View Post
                        I’d say have one welded up out of some steel, paint it white like it was a thin metal one. Let them take a whack at it.
                        x2

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
                          Purchase new mailbox, stand upright, place 4 inch pvc inside and fill remaining space with concrete. Install as normal. They will on hit it 1 more time.
                          This will take care of all of your problems. Growing up, ours got bashed about once a month until my dad did this. Then there were a few marks on it for a couple of months. Then nothing. Problem solved.

Comment

I know someone on Georgetown, years ago, who welded the post to a plow disc for a stand. If it got ran over, imagine the damage to the underside of a pickup truck.

Comment

Lived in Minnesota for 16 years and there are a lot of different ways people protected their mail boxes from snowplows. Might do the same for a baseball bat. The diamond plated one can be mounted on a swivel.

Comment

Working...
                              X