• Show
Clear All

ants in my hummingbird feeders

How do I keep them out
    Feeders are suspended by little wire
    Stands about 3 foot tall
    Terrible drought here in brown co has everything hungry

Poison around base?
    My dad put diesel on the hanging string?

BP

Put grease on the wire to prevent them from climbing down on it.

Comment

I sprayed the raid ant/roach killer / preventative at the hanger and where it attaches to the fence and have had luck

Comment

Mine hang on a "shepard's hook" and I was having the same problem. I sprayed Ortho Home Defense on the ground for about two feet around the base and it has solved the problem

Comment

Good suggestions. My hummingbirds didn't show up this year.

Comment

Search the internet for a hummingbird ant bell or guard. You hang the feeder from it. The bell has a pesticide disc to repel the ants and not harm the hummingbirds.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
              Mine hang on a "shepard's hook" and I was having the same problem. I sprayed Ortho Home Defense on the ground for about two feet around the base and it has solved the problem
              I use the same stuff. Ours hangs from a tree and I just spray the tree for about a foot in each direction from where the hook attaches to the tree. This seems to work really well.

Comment

I spray demon around the hook I have them hanging on. The Hummingbirds do not like those ants...they will not stay long at a feeder with the ants there.

Comment

Get a cap off a paint spray can & put a small hole through it. Run a coat hanger through it and bend a hook on each end. Put some silicone around the hole on both sides & let it dry. Hang it & fill the lid with water. Hang the feeder below it. Super easy & works.

Comment

We started getting ants in our humming bird feeders a couple of weeks ago. Sprayed the bottoms of our deck poles with permethrin and the ants are gone.

Comment

We coated the base of our shepard's hook with a gooey insect stopper called 'Tanglefoot'. It works. We previously had ants in the feeder problems as well.

Hear how people just like you dealt with their annoying (and gross) ants, spiders and more in and around their home. It's easy with the help of Ortho.

Comment

I hung mine with thin monofilament fishing line instead of wire. No ants.

Comment

Thanks guys
                          I spread poison around the bottom of the post and then put an ant poison “feeder” nearby

Poor birds and ants are starving. Zero rain for a month.

BP

Comment

The moat-type ant trap is what we use: https://www.amazon.com/Hummingbird-F...a-877260267277

Comment

Working...
                            X