Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-20-2018, 10:55 AM   #1
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon/Madsion County
Default Texas Gun Law Question

Would prefer a Texas LE response. Can I use force or even deadly force to defend my dog from assault when my dog is on leash/in my control or on/in private property?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
J Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2018, 11:48 AM   #2
4R Daddy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ranger

Good question.

4R Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2018, 11:53 AM   #3
Charles
Pope & Young

You're a grown man, you can do what ever you want

What is attacking your dog? Person, Cat, another Dog?
Charles is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2018, 11:56 AM   #4
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Sweet View Post
Would prefer a Texas LE response. Can I use force or even deadly force to defend my dog from assault when my dog is on leash/in my control or on/in private property?

Only thing I will respond with is that under texas law a dog is considered livestock (except in the animal cruelty laws) and many of the laws applying to the protection of property and/or livestock will apply.
Outbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2018, 11:56 AM   #5
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Person. Had a road rage altercation with a thug this morning. I had my dogs in the back seat and they were leaning out. He would of had to walk past them to me. It didnt come to that but it made me wonder. If he started hitting or choking one of my dogs what are my rights?

Old 04-20-2018, 11:56 AM   #6
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

I'm gonna say No. But it could depend on the dog. if the dog is capable of harming you, maybe so. but if a yorkie is attacking your yorkie, i would not risk discharging a firearm. i'd save that for when i need it.
TeamAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2018, 11:57 AM   #7
J Sweet
Pope & Young

If he puts his hands inside my vehicle as I understand it its the same as him sticking his hands through a house window.

Old 04-20-2018, 11:58 AM   #8
batmaninja
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Cant you protect your property (on your private property) with deadly force? I know you can at night in TX.
batmaninja is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2018, 12:02 PM   #9
Charles
Pope & Young

What did you do to cause the road rage?
Charles is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2018, 12:08 PM   #10
Daniel75
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Red River County & Atoka Co Oklahoma

SUBCHAPTER C. PROTECTION OF PERSONS

Sec. 9.31. SELF-DEFENSE. (a) Except as provided in Subsection (b), a person is justified in using force against another when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to protect the actor against the other's use or attempted use of unlawful force. The actor's belief that the force was immediately necessary as described by this subsection is presumed to be reasonable if the actor:

A) unlawfully and with force entered, or was attempting to enter unlawfully and with force, the actor's occupied habitation, vehicle, or place of business......

SUBCHAPTER D. PROTECTION OF PROPERTY

Sec. 9.41. PROTECTION OF ONE'S OWN PROPERTY. (a) A person in lawful possession of land or tangible, movable property is justified in using force against another when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to prevent or terminate the other's trespass on the land or unlawful interference with the property.
(b) A person unlawfully dispossessed of land or tangible, movable property by another is justified in using force against the other when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to reenter the land or recover the property if the actor uses the force immediately or in fresh pursuit after the dispossession and:
(1) the actor reasonably believes the other had no claim of right when he dispossessed the actor; or
(2) the other accomplished the dispossession by using force, threat, or fraud against the actor.

Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, Sec. 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974. Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, Sec. 1.01, eff. Sept. 1, 1994.

Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:
(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and
(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:
(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or
(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and
(3) he reasonably believes that:
(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or
(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, Sec. 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974. Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, Sec. 1.01, eff. Sept. 1, 1994.
Daniel75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2018, 12:08 PM   #11
Daniel75
Pope & Young

I would say no. You have to be able to articulate that you were in fear of serious bodily injury or death. And you had better be able to articulate it and it has to be reasonable. The first thing the officer(s) are going to ask is “why didn’t you call 911?”. If you’re road raging back and forth with someone and you shoot them, it’s probably not going to look good for you.

Last edited by Daniel75; 04-20-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:14 PM   #12
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

why cant your dogs defend themselves? get more masculine dogs.
if hes walkin to your window, you arent doin road rage right.
are you ready to kill a human over your dog getting punched?
did he look like a minority? yes it matters apparently.
carry some slapyomomma hot sauce in your console... squirt to the eyes makes peeps forget all about you cuttin em off... and when the police come.. you were eatin when he walked by your winder.

no charge.
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2018, 12:17 PM   #13
dbaio1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bienville and Jackson Parish Louisiana - Union Community area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel75 View Post

Sec. 9.31. SELF-DEFENSE. (a) Except as provided in Subsection (b), a person is justified in using force against another when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to protect the actor against the other's use or attempted use of unlawful force. The actor's belief that the force was immediately necessary as described by this subsection is presumed to be reasonable if the actor:

A) unlawfully and with force entered, or was attempting to enter unlawfully and with force, the actor's occupied habitation, vehicle, or place of business......

Sec. 9.41. PROTECTION OF ONE'S OWN PROPERTY. (a) A person in lawful possession of land or tangible, movable property is justified in using force against another when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to prevent or terminate the other's trespass on the land or unlawful interference with the property.
(b) A person unlawfully dispossessed of land or tangible, movable property by another is justified in using force against the other when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to reenter the land or recover the property if the actor uses the force immediately or in fresh pursuit after the dispossession and:
(1) the actor reasonably believes the other had no claim of right when he dispossessed the actor; or
(2) the other accomplished the dispossession by using force, threat, or fraud against the actor.

Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:
(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and
(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:
(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or
(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and
(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or
(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

Tyical law created in this country. Full of wording to create loopholes and generate revenue for the legal industry.
dbaio1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2018, 12:20 PM   #14
35remington
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the dark

I typed out a response but am not going to post it. There's too much going on here. I would suggest that the OP read the Texas Penal Code, including but not limited to Sections 9.31 and 9.41, and 9.42.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaio1 View Post
Tyical law created in this country. Full of wording to create loopholes and generate revenue for the legal industry.
I hate how laws always have words in them.

Write a better one. We'll wait.
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2018, 12:23 PM   #15
batmaninja
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
If he puts his hands inside my vehicle as I understand it its the same as him sticking his hands through a house window.
Not an apples to apples. And it is in Louisiana. But the guy that shot Joe McKnight got convicted of manslaughter.

Gasser, who did not take the witness stand in his own defense, told investigators that he shot McKnight from the driver’s seat of his car as the former NFL player stood at Gasser’s open passenger-side window on Dec. 1, 2016.

According to Gasser, he feared for his life when McKnight made an aggressive movement, or lunged in such a way as to attempt to get inside his vehicle. Gasser’s lawyer argued that his client was justified in defending himself with lethal force under Louisiana’s so-called “stand-your-ground” law.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-l...-idUSKBN1FG05I
batmaninja is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2018, 12:27 PM   #16
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mc Culloch County since 2015 Van Zandt County since 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post
carry some slapyomomma hot sauce in your console... squirt to the eyes makes peeps forget all about you cuttin em off... and when the police come.. you were eatin when he walked by your winder.

no charge.
Not trying to stir the pot Systemnt

They way I read the OP post was he anticipated his dog defending him. So he was wondering what he could legally do to defend his dog.

Here's how I've decided for myself when I'd draw my weapon.

1) My life or my Families life is in eminent or immediate threat of death.
2) Our Church is MY Family.

Things are things and can be replaced.
Lives and souls can't be.

Last edited by Pushbutton2; 04-20-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Pushbutton2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2018, 12:29 PM   #17
systemnt
Pope & Young

I was being facetious...

I'm not sure i could put a bullet in someone for punchin my dog.. but I'd have no problem letting him think i would
Old 04-20-2018, 12:41 PM   #18
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:
I was being facetious...

I'm not sure i could put a bullet in someone for punchin my dog.. but I'd have no problem letting him think i would
That is the use of Deadly Force. The threat of deadly force to make someone do something is the use of deadly force.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:52 PM   #19
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Quote:
Person. Had a road rage altercation with a thug this morning. I had my dogs in the back seat and they were leaning out. He would of had to walk past them to me. It didnt come to that but it made me wonder. If he started hitting or choking one of my dogs what are my rights?

I would think if he would attack your dogs you could easily assume you were next and thus...the right to defend
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2018, 12:52 PM   #20
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbreaker View Post
That is the use of Deadly Force. The threat of deadly force to make someone do something is the use of deadly force.
(*nwi)

Pick a retort:

Not forcing someone to do anything - they have free will.

Or

"Stop or I will shoot you in the legs and arms and then stomp a mudhole in your ***."

Last edited by systemnt; 04-20-2018 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:05 PM   #21
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:
(*nwi)

Pick a retort:

Not forcing someone to do anything - they have free will.

Or

"Stop or I will shoot you in the legs and arms and then stomp a mudhole in your ***."
Either way you are using the threat of deadly force to "Try" for force them to do what you want (look at your second response)

Last edited by Outbreaker; 04-20-2018 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:10 PM   #22
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
Either way you are using the threat of deadly force to "Try" for force them do do what you want (look at your second response)
It's hard to take anything you say seriously when you say "do do".
Old 04-20-2018, 01:13 PM   #23
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:
It's hard to take anything you say seriously when you say "do do".
Sorry for the typo. I fixed it.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:13 PM   #24
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
Sorry for the typo. I fixed it.
keep fixin.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:18 PM   #25
lanceodom
Ten Point

Hunt In: LaSalle County

why not roll up the windows to keep one from the other.
lanceodom is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2018, 01:19 PM   #26
Hawkpuppy 1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

So....after all the guesses and assumptions, what is the real, legal answer LEO's?
Hawkpuppy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2018, 01:25 PM   #27
Daniel75
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
So....after all the guesses and assumptions, what is the real, legal answer LEO's?
I posted it for you.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:50 PM   #28
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What did you do to cause the road rage?

Some ****** was honking his horn at me so gave him the bird. He rolls down his window to inform me “**** you bitch” so I smiled and gave him the bird again. He must of been having a bad morning.

Old 04-20-2018, 01:52 PM   #29
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
Some ****** was honking his horn at me so gave him the bird. He rolls down his window to inform me “**** you bitch” so I smiled and gave him the bird again. He must of been having a bad morning.

That was you?

man..knew i shoulda punched that dog.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:52 PM   #30
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Quote:

no charge.

Not over getting punched. Getting killed.

Old 04-20-2018, 01:54 PM   #31
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Default Texas Gun Law Question

Let me simplify this. If someone is using deadly force against my dog can I whoop his *** and or shoot him in the mouth? I know for a human passenger I can. If someone sights a weapon down on my dog can I shoot him first?

By can I mean not violating law.

Old 04-20-2018, 01:56 PM   #32
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
Let me simplify this. If someone is using deadly force against my dog can I whoop his *** and or shoot him in the mouth?

Can't answer the "Can" question...thats gonna depend on how big a boy you think you are.....and what you are prepared to pay for doing so...
but you should...

btw..all this constitutes pre-meditation for the ride home in case you're wondering
Old 04-20-2018, 02:06 PM   #33
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Quote:

I think this is it. My dogs are my property. He attempts to destroy said property while on private property (my vehicle) I am justified to knock his teeth out. I have no want to rid a family of their father but if a weapon is used by the ****** than it is what it is.

Old 04-20-2018, 02:08 PM   #34
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
I would think if he would attack your dogs you could easily assume you were next and thus...the right to defend

My word against his and he isnt very talkative anymore right?

Old 04-20-2018, 02:12 PM   #35
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Quote:

no charge.

These are my dogs. There are many ones like this but these ones are mine. Without me my dogs are useless. Without my dogs I am useless. So be it

Old 04-20-2018, 02:14 PM   #36
systemnt
Pope & Young

Might sound a little racist, but I am more afraid of the white one than the black one.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:16 PM   #37
yotethumper
Six Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

While this is a good question and I do not have a response I think there are also other questions that should be addressed.

1) How could you have de-escalated the situation? Did you roll the windows up? Did you ignore the person? Did you give vocal commands to de-escalate the situation?
2) Did you try to evade? Always evade if you can, when in doubt hit the gas and get out of the area.
3) Did you call 911? If the person is threatening you and pursuing you, call 911.

While we should ask these questions as law abiding citizens that carry firearms, its equally important to ask how can we avoid situations like this and get out of them before we have to use lethal force.

Last edited by yotethumper; 04-20-2018 at 02:20 PM.
yotethumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2018, 02:24 PM   #38
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:
I think this is it. My dogs are my property. He attempts to destroy said property while on private property (my vehicle) I am justified to knock his teeth out. I have no want to rid a family of their father but if a weapon is used by the ****** than it is what it is.

Quote:
I posted it for you.
I would like both of you to show me where you are finding "he attempted to hurt my dog" in the enumerated actions of PC 9.42.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:32 PM   #39
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Quote:
Might sound a little racist, but I am more afraid of the white one than the black one.

Your assumption is correct. He belongs to a girl who is 15 and she has had him since 3. He will bite your fingers or ankles off if you get to close to his to protect. Ha!

Old 04-20-2018, 02:34 PM   #40
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
I would like both of you to show me where you are finding "he attempted to hurt my dog" in the enumerated actions of PC 9.42.

I didnt find “my wife” either but we know thats applicable. Guess it will be up to the judge and god but someone would be much better off swinging on me than someone or thing who cant defend itself.

Old 04-20-2018, 02:35 PM   #41
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
Your assumption is correct. He belongs to a girl who is 15 and she has had him since 3. He will bite your fingers or ankles off if you get to close to his to protect. Ha!

got crazy eyes...
Old 04-20-2018, 02:36 PM   #42
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotethumper View Post
While this is a good question and I do not have a response I think there are also other questions that should be addressed.

1) How could you have de-escalated the situation? Did you roll the windows up? Did you ignore the person? Did you give vocal commands to de-escalate the situation?
2) Did you try to evade? Always evade if you can, when in doubt hit the gas and get out of the area.
3) Did you call 911? If the person is threatening you and pursuing you, call 911.

While we should ask these questions as law abiding citizens that carry firearms, its equally important to ask how can we avoid situations like this and get out of them before we have to use lethal force.

1. I didnt join into his verbal tirade. Im sure thats what he wanted. It ended there.

2. Stuck in traffic

3. See 1.

Old 04-20-2018, 02:39 PM   #43
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:
I didnt find “my wife” either but we know thats applicable.
No, 9.42 is NOT applicable to your wife. Your wife is covered under 9.31. Try again.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:39 PM   #44
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Quote:
Can't answer the "Can" question...thats gonna depend on how big a boy you think you are.....

6ft 4. 245 lbs and I can deadlift a house. Of course people never know who they are yelling at when they feel all so powerful in their car.

Old 04-20-2018, 02:40 PM   #45
systemnt
Pope & Young

Ok.. gotta ask... why you dead lifting horses?
That seems like an odd hobby...
Old 04-20-2018, 02:41 PM   #46
yotethumper
Six Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

Quote:
1. I didnt join into his verbal tirade. Im sure thats what he wanted. It ended there.

2. Stuck in traffic

3. See 1.

Right but earlier in the post you said "Some ****** was honking his horn at me so gave him the bird. He rolls down his window to inform me “**** you *****” so I smiled and gave him the bird again."

The exact opposite of what you should have done my friend. Why not try to calm him down instead of firing him up more?

Somebody flipping you off in traffic is far from a legitimate threat. De-escalate, ignore, and go about your day.

Last edited by yotethumper; 04-20-2018 at 02:44 PM.
yotethumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2018, 02:44 PM   #47
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
No, 9.42 is NOT applicable to your wife. Your wife is covered under 9.31. Try again.

No. Dont think I will. You arent to pleasant right now.

Old 04-20-2018, 02:44 PM   #48
flyby
Ten Point

Hunt In: Parker County

The correct answer is no, you cannot. I can't even use deadly force to protect my K9 partner.
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2018, 02:44 PM   #49
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Quote:
Ok.. gotta ask... why you dead lifting horses?
That seems like an odd hobby...

Houses.

Old 04-20-2018, 02:45 PM   #50
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotethumper View Post
Right but earlier in the post you said "Some ****** was honking his horn at me so gave him the bird. He rolls down his window to inform me “**** you bitch” so I smiled and gave him the bird again."

The exact opposite of what you should have done my friend. Why not try to calm him down instead of firing him up more?
This. This is why people should NOT buy Prius.