Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Herbicide Applicators: Has anyone dealt with duckweed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Herbicide Applicators: Has anyone dealt with duckweed?

I’m looking to eliminate duckweed in a small pond. The entire surface is covered in the stuff. Pond is no more than 1/8th of an acre and ~8ft deep on average (generous estimate). I have treated this pond twice now in the last couple months with Sonar Genesis, using a higher concentration than I thought was necessary, with no luck. Pond is still covered.

Has anyone tried granular Clipper herbicide?

Do I just need to give the Sonar more time to be absorbed?

I know this topic is “out there” but would love any input from any applicators we may have on tbh.

Thanks.

Diquat works pretty good for me

Comment

Google "Shore Clear".....

Comment

When all else fails go to the eaters. Meaning next spring mucho early say End of February depending on season temps, call overtons and get some Tilapia. They do eat the duck weed, but may not be able to get enough of it before the cooler weather sets in. May be worth a shot?? Also my wife keeps Duckweed in an enclosed water container and feeds it to our Muscovy's. Like crack to them.
        I know you would like a faster more complete solution, but just passing along the little that I know.

Comment

50 tilapia will clean it out before temps get to cold!

Comment

I've dealt with a few in my life. It really sucked but you just have to know how to talk to people like that.

Oh.....duckweeds....No I've never seen one.

Comment

Diuron + Aquastrike= Dead

I use this in our irrigation canals and reservoirs.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                I've dealt with a few in my life. It really sucked but you just have to know how to talk to people like that.

Oh.....duckweeds....No I've never seen one.
                It took me a second.......

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                  It took me a second.......
                  Lol....I come up with some real doozies sometimes. I have my moments.

Comment

Round up custom should knock it out

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
                      I’m looking to eliminate duckweed in a small pond. The entire surface is covered in the stuff. Pond is no more than 1/8th of an acre and ~8ft deep on average (generous estimate). I have treated this pond twice now in the last couple months with Sonar Genesis, using a higher concentration than I thought was necessary, with no luck. Pond is still covered.

Has anyone tried granular Clipper herbicide?

Do I just need to give the Sonar more time to be absorbed?

I know this topic is “out there” but would love any input from any applicators we may have on tbh.

Thanks.
                      Clipper is what I use to control water meal in our farm pond. Last year I did a surface application using 3/4 lb of clipper with a nonionic surfactant. The biggest problem was I had to wait till all of it was windblown to one side so I could reach it with my sprayer. Well it came back this year, instead of waiting like I did last year I ordered 3lbs and added the 1/4lb I had left over so 3 1/4lb lbs total. This time I did a subsurface application which by my calculations should have resulted in a 350ppb concentration. Killed it all in a week and it hasn't shown any signs of returning after about 1.5 months.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve tried diquat with a surfactant and it wouldn’t kill it quick enough before it multiplied. Same thing with glyphosate weed killer.

Sonar worked great for me. Takes about 3-4 weeks to start seeing real results but it should be turning white within 4-5 days in this heat.

Did you use the RTU sonar or the concentrated? How much did you use and did you space your applications out.

Comment

Good info guys, thanks.

The pond is deep so thus far I have only treated around the edges as far as I could walk in with my chest waders. Surface and subsurface. Probably covered 40% of the pond’s surface each time. Concentrated sonar genesis in ~12 gallons of water total. I treated once two months ago and again last Wednesday. Both times it seems I killed what I hit with the surface spray and the duckweed simply grew to cover the area I killed in a few days. Subsurface didn’t seem to do anything. Last Wednesday I used more chemical. I’m glad to hear it can take time to work but shouldn’t I be seeing some signs of the sonar working?

Do y’all think I would have better success finding a John boat and treating the whole surface with clipper?

Comment

Working...
                          X