No announcement yet.

Growing Oaks from Acorns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am a plant nerd also. I am also a trained wetland delineator, professional wetland scientist so I must know most of my plant species. I will give you guys that like to plant trees some very useful information. The USDA plant database has every plant in North America, https://plants.sc.egov.usda.gov/java/

If you look up a plant species, say Quercus Alba (white oak), look at the "wetland status", you will see it is Facultative upland. That classification means it needs dry soil to grow. The different classification are below.

Obligate (100 % grows in wet soils only)
    Facultative Wetland (75 % mostly wet soils)
    Facultative (50 % wet and dry soils) (grows anywhere) (**** Chicken trees!)
    Facultative upland (75 % in dry)
    Upland (100 % dry soil)

You can determine where to plant a particular species on your property by the preference of their wetland tolerance. It is very accurate. Hope this helps you.

Comment

Cool Thread...ttt

Comment

Has anyone grown Sawtooth oaks from acorns?

Comment

Originally posted by Gladesgator View Post
          Has anyone grown Sawtooth oaks from acorns?
          Doing some this year, FIL has a tree and so does his neighbor, also one down the street from me at a Walmart. Going weekly to check for dropping acorns.

Comment

I've got 2 chinquapin oaks in the backyard now that I've been growing from acorns. I like this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by J&M Hamilton10 View Post
              Doing some this year, FIL has a tree and so does his neighbor, also one down the street from me at a Walmart. Going weekly to check for dropping acorns.
              My Sawtooths stared dropping acorns last week. Managed to pickup 24 acorns to pot. Ground is bare under the trees from all the deer activity.

Comment

Tagged
                Last edited by DarrellS; 09-16-2019, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                  I've got 2 chinquapin oaks in the backyard now that I've been growing from acorns. I like this thread.
                  Best oak imo to plant for deer, member of white oak family and produces acorns in 5 to 6 years or so. Will be doing a ton of these this year.

Comment

Originally posted by J&M Hamilton10 View Post
                    Best oak imo to plant for deer, member of white oak family and produces acorns in 5 to 6 years or so. Will be doing a ton of these this year.
                    Keep us posted. I have a bunch of acorns on my tree planted in the yard. I'm gona plant as many as I can this year

Comment

I pulled and potted all the bur oaks out of the garden bed. These came from acorns we collected last fall. Couldn’t believe how long the roots are. I had to flood the ground to loosen them up and still broke off a few.

There are a few live oak and red oak mixed in and will be planting all later this fall/winter on my property.

Most of the trees I bought from Nativ nurseries the last 2yrs have died. I’ve had much better results growing from acorns and replanting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Been dabbling in this for a few years now, finding highly attractive species that grow in the hill country. By far two of the best tasting species of oak are the Chinquapin & Monterrey oaks. Arguably both in the top 4 all time favorite oaks for deer anywhere. And they love the alkaline soil of the hill country. Personally have had better luck with the monterrey. Both are pretty fast producers. Still need a watering system to get them established though. Our July & August make it hard for anything to stay alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountaineer View Post

Most of the trees I bought from Nativ nurseries the last 2yrs have died. I’ve had much better results growing from acorns and replanting.
                          I have had this same experience. Wasted a few hundred dollars with those folks. Frustrating!

T

Comment

awesome post.
                            what are all you guys doing after planting in the "wild"?
                            do you water, use tubes , what kind of cages, or do you just let nature decide?

thanks for all the info. learning a lot!

Comment

I'll use tubes until I run out of them. Water when I can in the summer by hand. Growth in a tube is much better than just using a cage unless you have water available and water them regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by timoub007 View Post
                                I have had this same experience. Wasted a few hundred dollars with those folks. Frustrating!

T
                                You will always have better luck with local genetics then from a nursery. Plant from acorns close to where you will grow them.

Comment

Working...
                                X