Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-30-2017, 06:09 PM   #1
trophy8
Pope & Young

Default Don't get service at the lease? Use a prepaid phone?

We get service at our ranch but I get ZERO service at the lease. I hunt by myself often and that's not a good combo. Does anyone buy a prepaid phone or a cheap phone from another carrier?

I have Verizon. Have to as it's the only carrier that gets service where I work. Lease is between Brady and Mason. I'd obviously like data and texting but don't want to spend a fortune. Anyone else have the same situation?
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2017, 06:21 PM   #2
bullets13
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion Co, Jefferson Co

I hunt a little in Brady. It's a black hole for Verizon. A guy I go with out there has AT&T and can get service
bullets13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2017, 06:24 PM   #3
ByronB
Ten Point

Same situation here. I have Verizon on my phone, iPAD, Family phones. Verizon cuts out about twelve miles from the place I hunt. I have an AT&T phone for the ranch....also for several towns in my territory I cover for work as well. Verizon is very limited out west of Llano, Junction area, etc. they claim to have the most coverage but not where I need it. Other problem is that my email and text for my business is all on my Verizon phone. I am seriously considering switching my phone and iPad to AT&T.
ByronB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2017, 06:27 PM   #4
trophy8
Pope & Young

I'd get an at&t phone but that's a lot of money for very rare use
Old 11-30-2017, 06:36 PM   #5
Sparkles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County

I used a go phone (by att) for awhile at my lease
Cheap insurance if I needed to use it
Finally switched everything over to att and ditched the go phone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2017, 06:45 PM   #6
hef187
Six Point

Hunt In: Centerville, Falfurrias, Del Rio, & Concan

I have verizon and get ZERO service in Concan where we hunt... had to buy an AT&T to-go phone for the ranch.
hef187 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2017, 06:59 PM   #7
Youngblood
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gillispie County and Benavides Texas

I hunt in Mason and have no service with Verizon. I got On Star for $20 a month no contact and now I have service while in my truck at our lease. The truck key has to remain on for it to work. Beats nothing or getting another provider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2017, 07:12 PM   #8
trophy8
Pope & Young

The ATT go phone looks interesting. My truck is an 07 Chevy classic so I doubt the wifi option is available haha. If I spend $30-40 a month I'd want to text and have data too
Old 11-30-2017, 07:15 PM   #9
Bowdacious
Six Point

Hunt In: Webb Co

Cricket uses AT&T towers and it a lot less expensive, may be an option for you.
Bowdacious is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2017, 07:16 PM   #10
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

I signed up for OnStar wifi internet in my pickup. My lease has really spotty cell service, but with the wifi I can text, email, facebook call/video call, etc...
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2017, 07:17 PM   #11
Tbull9
Four Point

Hunt In: Crawford, Brownwood

We bought cheap cheap AT&T phones from Wal-Mart for around 30 bucks and bought the pre paid cards with data for around 30 bucks a month works for what we need at the lease
Tbull9 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2017, 07:17 PM   #12
Radar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wilson County

I bought a Straight Talk mobile hot spot from walmart 4gigs, for 40.00 and you can renew it anytime. The unit was 49.99 and it has worked every where so far. That includes most of New Mexico and all of South Texas.
Walmart also has phones for Straight Talk that did not cost much. I think ATT has a stake in the company as well.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2017, 07:22 PM   #13
ByronB
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
The ATT go phone looks interesting. My truck is an 07 Chevy classic so I doubt the wifi option is available haha. If I spend $30-40 a month I'd want to text and have data too
I have an AT&T go phone. I pay $32 per money only if I use it. During the off-season it may not be in use for months so no payments are made.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:23 PM   #14
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronB View Post
I have an AT&T go phone. I pay $32 per money only if I use it. During the off-season it may not be in use for months so no payments are made.
How does that work exactly?
Old 11-30-2017, 07:27 PM   #15
bigchiefj
Six Point

I use AT&T prepaid as my main phone. When I go on hunts I carry an inactive Verizon prepaid phone as backup. If AT&T doesn't work, I can activate the Verizon phone with a credit card if it gets a signal.
bigchiefj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2017, 07:35 PM   #16
ByronB
Ten Point

Quote:
How does that work exactly?
I purchased the AT&T phone at Best Buy. $68 or something. To activate it each month it cost $32. If I do not use it then I do not pay. You can roll your Verizon phone number to your AT&T phone when you are in an area that does not have Verizon service. *72 and your AT&T number. To deactivate it you simply hit *73 and the calls revert to your Verizon phone. I do this so I can still receive my business calls, calls from Family, etc. When I drive back in to a Verizon area I turn my AT&T phone off completely.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:37 PM   #17
Duane
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady TX

Matt I was in your same situation. I use Verizon at home but AT&T gets the best service at my lease in Brady. The first two years on this lease I just went off the grid while there, but that's not always the smartest thing to do if I'm there alone. On the way to the lease one day I pulled into an AT&T store and bought a $50 Motorola go phone and auto bill it to my credit card for $40/month. I can turn it on or off month to month. It is a smart phone so I can text, email, browse etc. Makes me wonder sometimes why I pay $100/month for virtually the same service on my iphone... Not to mention $700 for the phone!
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2017, 10:02 PM   #18
gander
Ten Point

Hunt In: Beaumont

I have Verizon and in South Texas and the hill country have almost zero service. I bought an At&t go phone that I pay a monthly plan on for the soul purpose of being able to be in contact with my friends out there. One of the places I hunt is 25k acres and 45 minutes to the nearest dirt road. For $45 a month I have the peace of mind that if something was to happen to me I could at least get in touch with someone to attempt to save myself. I keep it activated from August til February. It’s one of those things that seems like an unnecessary expense until you actually need it.
gander is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2017, 10:17 PM   #19
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

I had that situation once for work. I just bought an AT&T phone and paid for my minutes. It didn't hurt that the girl I had to get my minutes from was really hot.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2017, 10:58 PM   #20
WhiplashTX
Eight Point

Hunt In: Menard

As others have said AT&T works in that area. Consumer cellular is cheap and has access to all their towers, that's who I use. I even started getting 4G when they put a tower near my lease which is in the middle of nowhere.
WhiplashTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2017, 01:19 AM   #21
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

I had to buy a 10 dollar tmobile prepaid phone to use at my place in centerville. Rolled a tractor over and almost got stuck under in it. Went and got the phone soon after. Now my att contract finally ended and I switched to tmobile.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2017, 01:31 AM   #22
TxnRunner
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas

I used to love that about my lease in Hamilton. Service absolutely dropped to zero at our gate. You just drive through the gate and leave the rest of the world behind. I'd walk to the other side of the gate for the evening call to wifey.
TxnRunner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2017, 02:01 AM   #23
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Weatherford/Childress

Quote:
We get service at our ranch but I get ZERO service at the lease. I hunt by myself often and that's not a good combo. Does anyone buy a prepaid phone or a cheap phone from another carrier?

I have Verizon. Have to as it's the only carrier that gets service where I work. Lease is between Brady and Mason. I'd obviously like data and texting but don't want to spend a fortune. Anyone else have the same situation?
Buy a delorme that hooks up to you iphone. Best thing i have ever bought. Sucks mine got stolen.
JTeLarkin08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2017, 03:27 AM   #24
Jimbo47
Six Point

Hunt In: The last LF ranch in S. Texas

ATT Go Phone, I've been using for years, without a problem.
You pay $25.00 to refill your account, and it's .25 cents a minute. You can roll over unused minutes if you refill before expiration date, so it usually runs me $25.00 a month on average if I use it a lot. It's not for you if you like to chat, only use it for a minute or two and hangup.
I've been all over and never lost service yet.
It's saved my bacon a few times personally as well, and when wife had an emergency and needed me back pronto.

Last edited by Jimbo47; 12-02-2017 at 03:31 AM.
Jimbo47 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2017, 05:32 AM   #25
220swift
Ten Point

Hunt In: South, East, and Central Texas

I have an AT&T go phone. I can put money on the account and get charged $2 per day if I use the phone that day. No charge if I donít use it the days Iím not there.
Itís only text and phone, no internet.

Itís been great
220swift is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2017, 05:45 AM   #26
MisterSanders
Ten Point

Hunt In: Chambers, Bandera, Batson, Sonora

I got an at&t smartphone gophone for $30 and paid $60 for unlimited everything for a month. Used it in barksdale while I was up there last week.
MisterSanders is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2017, 06:35 AM   #27
tminc
Eight Point

Hunt In: burnet county,mexico

been thru t mobile,version and my att, now works in burnet county and mexico!
tminc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2017, 09:49 AM   #28
Arrowsmith
OTD - Older than Dirt

Hunt In: Erath County and Davis County Iowa

I hunted about the first 30 years of my hunting career with no cell service anywhere. The reason we didn't have any service is because cell phones didn't exist.

We would leave home for two weeks headed to Colorado or Wyoming, kiss the wife goodbye and except for maybe a long distance phone call..... if we could find a pay phone in town....we would not talk to her or anyone else back home until we got home.

I remember driving 30 miles one way to use the pay phone in Alcova, Wyoming. There was only one pay phone in town and sadly I found it was out of order. Ended up going to the little one man police station. The officer there let me make a collect call on their old dial phone. Sixty mile round trip for a 5 minute call. Luckily I got an answer because we did not have voice mail or answering machines back then either.

Man. We have gotten soft. Now we can't go five minutes without texting someone or checking the internet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Arrowsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2017, 09:55 AM   #29
MadHatter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowsmith View Post
I hunted about the first 30 years of my hunting career with no cell service anywhere. The reason we didn't have any service is because cell phones didn't exist.

We would leave home for two weeks headed to Colorado or Wyoming, kiss the wife goodbye and except for maybe a long distance phone call..... if we could find a pay phone in town....we would not talk to her or anyone else back home until we got home.

I remember driving 30 miles one way to use the pay phone in Alcova, Wyoming. There was only one pay phone in town and sadly I found it was out of order. Ended up going to the little one man police station. The officer there let me make a collect call on their old dial phone. Sixty mile round trip for a 5 minute call. Luckily I got an answer because we did not have voice mail or answering machines back then either.

Man. We have gotten soft. Now we can't go five minutes without texting someone or checking the internet.

Ain't it the truth.
MadHatter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2017, 10:45 AM   #30
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowsmith View Post

Gotten soft? Not hardly. I'll be just fine on my own. But it's worth the piece of mind.

Also, folks used to build scopes that didn't break all the time. Welcome to 2017. Cell phone needed and vortex is here
Old 12-04-2017, 03:09 PM   #31
Tomkat70
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason ,Brady,Menard
Default Cel phone service

My AT&T phone works almost everywhere on the place
Tomkat70 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2017, 03:51 PM   #32
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Verizon pretty much sucks West of Austin. AT&T has better signal out there. Verizon has the best service for East Texas.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2017, 03:57 PM   #33
DJM
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills Co,Coryell Co,Lampasas Co

I'm on my 2nd year of Trac Fone.It works everywhere.Total for 2 years is about $300 including the cost of the phone.Add voice text and data as needed.I'll never have another cell contract.

DJ
DJM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2017, 03:58 PM   #34
220swift
Ten Point

Hunt In: South, East, and Central Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
Verizon pretty much sucks West of Austin. AT&T has better signal out there. Verizon has the best service for East Texas.
We have property in Hemphill 60 miles west of Lufkin. My Verizon cellphone is worthless there......
220swift is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2017, 04:02 PM   #35
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Man AT&T for the win. Should make a commercial using this thread.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2017, 09:15 PM   #36
Kdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, TX/Wisconsin/Canada

Another option is to get an InReach, but honestly the GoPhone sounds like the way to go unless the service is still spotty even with AT&T. I have used my InReach on remote hunts but leave it active year round, both places I hunt don't have great service although there is some signal.
Kdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 12:20 AM   #37
TX35GTR
Four Point

Believe it or not Tmobile is the only thing that works at my lease in Carta Valley. No Verizon or AT&T, but 4g LTE across the whole lease with the prepay Tmobile.

I dont care to have it really other than to let my wife I am ok, but in a sad reality its more so the office can get ahold of me on vacation.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
TX35GTR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 05:21 AM   #38
8pointer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher county

My primary phone is with Verizon. I have a hot spot through AT&T. Between the 2, I can text, call or FaceTime pretty much from anywhere I need to go.
8pointer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 05:34 AM   #39
trippletap
Spike

Hunt In: Mason

I get service at the lease with Att, I think I’m hunting pretty close to you!!
trippletap is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 07:17 AM   #40
Swampa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Quote:

Same problem for me in Coleman. Work provides Verizon and it sucks out there. I bought a $30 smart phone and a $30 prepaid card at Walmart. You can pay for different levels of data. The plan I got is unlimited talk/text and 1Gig data through AT&T. Works perfect out there. LTE signal.
Swampa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 07:38 AM   #41
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippletap View Post
I get service at the lease with Att, I think Iím hunting pretty close to you!!
Yeah pretty close

I called AT&T. The told me I have to pay every month for the phone. I can cancel at any time but it's $25 to activate it. And I have to buy the phone. $30/$40/$60 per month depending on the plan. I'm still looking around. May run a giant string and 2 soup cans
Old 12-05-2017, 07:43 AM   #42
CrookedArrow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tamplias Chiwawa, Mejico

I bought a 15 dollar booster off Amazon. Works great
CrookedArrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 08:04 AM   #43
Huntsman27
Four Point

Hunt In: Brownwood, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swift View Post
I have an AT&T go phone. I can put money on the account and get charged $2 per day if I use the phone that day. No charge if I donít use it the days Iím not there.
Itís only text and phone, no internet.

Itís been great
This is what I use. My company phone is Verizon and doesnít work in Brownwood. $2/day for unlimited text & calls. If not used no charge.
Huntsman27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 08:10 AM   #44
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedArrow View Post
I bought a 15 dollar booster off Amazon. Works great
There's a booster at the cabin. Doesn't help my phone at all
Old 12-05-2017, 08:10 AM   #45
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman27 View Post
This is what I use. My company phone is Verizon and doesnít work in Brownwood. $2/day for unlimited text & calls. If not used no charge.
How did you get that agreement? See my post above about what at&t said
Old 12-05-2017, 08:35 AM   #46
texan4ut
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can, Terrell County

Funny I hunt in Terrell County no AT&T service at all. Verizon is spotty but better than nothing. I used a cheap phone last year pay with a card on Verizon. Went ahead and went with a regular good phone and regular service this year. If you go to Walmart they all kinds of phone service providers and they will shoe coverage areas. The lesser known carriers are using Verizon or AT&T towers and are cheaper.
texan4ut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 08:51 AM   #47
hogdoggintexas
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
I bought a Straight Talk mobile hot spot from walmart 4gigs, for 40.00 and you can renew it anytime. The unit was 49.99 and it has worked every where so far. That includes most of New Mexico and all of South Texas.
Walmart also has phones for Straight Talk that did not cost much. I think ATT has a stake in the company as well.
Straight talk is run by Verizon. Even uses Verizon customer service.
hogdoggintexas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top