Unique Hunting Rules/Regulations, by State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lonestar_HOYT View Post
    I don't remember the state but I read about one that you have to shoot a doe to be able to shoot a buck. That's a good idea I think, would help reduce the doe population.
    Used to be that way in Wisconsin.

Another one, not being able to shoot 100% albino deer in WI. But an albino with some dark patches, you are all good.
    Last edited by WItoTX; 10-19-2017, 06:28 AM. Reason: .

Comment

Texas has some crazy ones for turkeys. Rifles, feeders, fall hunting. That stuff will get your poaching arse thrown under the jail in most states.

Comment

Originally posted by toledo View Post
        Texas has some crazy ones for turkeys. Rifles, feeders, fall hunting. That stuff will get your poaching arse thrown under the jail in most states.
        So...just poaching itself wouldnt?

Comment

13" rule.

Comment

A significant number of states don't allow drones. In Alaska, you can't hunt the same day you fly in. Also, if you fly a drone, you can't hunt the same day.

Comment

Massachusetts state law allows you to hunt on the land of another without permission so long as the land is not posted. I believe they offer a property tax break for not posting your land, which incentivizes open access to private lands. State law also protects landowners from liability should somebody be injured on their property, which also promotes open access by keeping potential liability from being a disincentive to allowing access to your land.

Hunting leases are practically unheard of and are discussed with disdain as ruining hunting. In fact, the landowner liability shield mentioned above actually goes away if you lease your land. This makes landowners think twice about leasing and thus promotes open access to private lands.

However, local law often thwarts this pro-open-access and hunter-friendly state policy. Towns are not allowed to ban hunting, but most have effectively done so through "no discharge" laws (which arguably cover archery as well). Some also require written landowner permission. The eastern half of the state is so densely populated that this takes away the vast majority of available hunting opportunities.

It is also a very expensive, complicated, and time-consuming endeavor to get a permit to own a gun up there (especially so for handguns, but even still for rifle/shotgun). When I lived in Boston, I had to take a gun safety course, do an in-person interview at the local police department, and pay about $400 in fees over the course of several months to get my rifle/shotgun permit when all was said and done. Most of these regulations are driven by local requirements, rather than state requirements.

Interesting dynamic they have up there. I'm an attorney and even I was worried I may be breaking the law given the patchwork of regulations and often (and arguably, intentionally) unclear language used in those regulations.
              Last edited by FeetDown; 10-19-2017, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by yostepdaddy View Post
                You might want to double check that. I been surveying up here since the beginning of the year and I think they have changed that rule sometime this year. There are some stipulations to the new rule but I do believe you can now hunt at night for pigs and coyote. I'm not 100% on this but it's worth looking into since you are a resident and do quite a bit of hunting here.
                As far as I know only landowners can get a depredation permit to hunt hogs or anything else at night. Other than that only using a .22 at night while you're coon huntin with dogs is acceptable.

Oklahoma ain't very serious about controlling a hog problem.

Comment

Many states do not allow baiting deer.

NC is also in on the no hunting on Sunday rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                    A significant number of states don't allow drones. In Alaska, you can't hunt the same day you fly in. Also, if you fly a drone, you can't hunt the same day.
                    Seriously? Any idea what the reason is for this rule?

Comment

Originally posted by Buckley99 View Post
                      Seriously? Any idea what the reason is for this rule?

Because it's unsporting to see the game from the air then land and shoot the animal(s).

Comment

Originally posted by Army of Dad View Post
                        Because it's unsporting to see the game from the air then land and shoot the animal(s).

Nailed it.

"Hey check out that grizz running! Land there and keep the engine running, this'll be quick."

Comment

Ahhhhh...makes sense. I was thinking more of flying commercial vs float/bush planes.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                            NM don’t allow hunting after flying in for 24 hours. But you see small planes over the good units during the hunts all the time.
                            You can get a 100k fine if you get convicted of using a drone to hunt in CO.

Comment

Many states do not allow baiting deer.

NC is also in on the no hunting on Sunday rule.

You can hunt on Sunday on private land in NC.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                                As far as I know only landowners can get a depredation permit to hunt hogs or anything else at night. Other than that only using a .22 at night while you're coon huntin with dogs is acceptable.

Oklahoma ain't very serious about controlling a hog problem.
                                Yeah I believe your correct but if I'm not mistaken the landownercan select one person to help them. At least that's what I was told by a landowner by gene autry. I agree their hog problem doesn't seem to bemmuch of a bother to them. In southern oklahoma I've seen groups larger than 100 pigs in broads daylight. I walked up on some the other days with at least 50 pigs. The next day I walked up on the same group in the exact same spot. I'm surprised with all the farmland that they are not more relaxed on keeping the pigs in check.

Comment

Working...
                                X