X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trim the neck and flank on larger deer that meat will add up

Comment

Originally posted by Jason85 View Post
      I believe in nose to tail butchery. Use anything that is worth keeping! One of the best things you can do with the carcass or bones is to roast the bones and make stock!
      Yup!

Being of asian descent we dont let anything go to waste.

Neck trimmings, flank and even the meat inbetween the ribs get cut out and thrown into the ground pile.

Guys usually give me a hard time for "wasting my time" cutting that stuff out but they shut their mouth when I end up with a few lbs more.

Same story when I take my time cutting out the sinew and deboning like a surgeon.

Comment

Here is a great video from a guy across the pond that does a lot of game butchery. He is cleaning a Roe Deer, but the anatomy is almost identical... simply a smaller animal. Next year I plan on processing one as close to this way I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't forget the tongue, heart, and liver!

I usually only leave bones only at the kill site (live in Nevada so I can debone at the kill site) along with GI tract and lungs. Everything else is used somehow. From all the trim pieces here and there I get around 5-6 pounds of ground meat, which is the only ground meat I get off the animal. Everything else is used in different cuts.

Comment

I bone out the neck for grind meat. The ribs I usually smoke for a few minutes and let the guard dog enjoy.

Comment

Yep. We eat the ribs too.

Comment

Big buck, I will take the neck meat. Otherwise it is quarters, straps, and loins. Sometimes on a doe I do not grab the loins as I do not gut my deer. It is worth the trouble on a buck for that pound of meat.

Sent from my BLU Advance 5.0 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunterchris View Post
                  Big buck, I will take the neck meat. Otherwise it is quarters, straps, and loins. Sometimes on a doe I do not grab the loins as I do not gut my deer. It is worth the trouble on a buck for that pound of meat.

How is a pound of meat not worth it???

Comment

normal size deer u will get about 1 pound of meat from rib cage.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
                      How is a pound of meat not worth it???
                      Read what I wrote again then comment.

A small doe does not have a pound of loins. Ounces....

Comment

After removing the shoulders, I saw the ribs off leaving the brisket on. Then take each side of ribs and saw those into three racks of short ribs on the bandsaw. Then I take the back straps off. And work my way down or up depending on which way it's hanging. After every thing else is removed, I cut the deboned skeleton at the neck to remove it. Then debone the neck meat last if it's a head up job.

Comment

Processing Question

I've never understood why people don't take the whole carcass in when paying at least the basic processing fee anyway.

Comment

I will take everything I can between the ears and tail, especially the liver and heart. But thats when I have time to. Most of the time it goes to the processor which for me is only once or twice maybe a year.

Comment

Originally posted by hchntr View Post
                              I've never understood why people don't take the whole carcass in when paying at least the basic processing fee anyway.

That's my point. I want sure if most processors butcher/grind the ribs or just toss them.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunterchris View Post

Do you hang and skin the deer to
                                Remove straps, loins and quarters? Or do you cut it up skin on ?

Comment

Working...
                                X