No announcement yet.

6.5 CM, 300 WIN, or 300 RUM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creedmoor is more than enough gun for all the animals listed....personally know of 3 elk killed and I killed an oryx with 1 shot using a Creedmoor. Today's bullets make a caliber like a 6.5 more lethal with less recoil.

Comment

I would go with the .300 Win Mag if elk size animals are on the agenda. My .300 Win Mag has been my goto rifle since I bought it in 1978.

Comment

If those were my three choices I'd buy that Weatherby Vanguard 300 Win Short Mag in the classifieds, and then find me a good 6.5 to go with it. Two guns and that would cover a whole lot of bases.

Comment

Of your 3 cartridge choices it's a no brainer.....the 300 Winchester Magnum

Comment

300 Win Mag...Last thing I want is my elk to run a mile before dying..Especially in the mountains.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

300!

Comment

How far are you comfortable shooting on a live animal?

400 yards and under... 6.5 cm will kill everything listed.

Beyond 400 there are lots of factors that come into play and the magnums begin to shine

Comment

I had a “do all “ rifle built for me this past year. I settled on a .300 win mag I’m mark v ultralight with a muzzle brake.

A 6.5 creedmoor is about like a .270. A .300 ultra is too much imo.

Elk, moose and African game is more than I wanna shoot with a 6.5. It will work for elk but not ideal.

Comment

30 cal bullet coefficient is not near as good as the 27s. If you are shooting 300 and less get the 30 cal. If you are gonna stretch out some look at others than what you listed is my opinion. 7mm mag- 7 RUM are good places to look and also look at the 29 Nosler. impressive but not enough for me to drop the dime on one over he 7s since I have a 7
                      Last edited by glen; 11-15-2018, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                        300WM hands down
                        No doubt. Don't get on the 6.5 band wagon. For paper punching they're good, but nothing worth talking about as far as a hunting round.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
                          No doubt. Don't get on the 6.5 band wagon. For paper punching they're good, but nothing worth talking about as far as a hunting round.
                          I strongly disagree. Everything has it's place. That said, I have a 300 WM, a 7 mag, a 6.5 CM, and I mainly shoot a bow. But if I ever need a rifle I am set!

Comment

Disagree as well! Not sure if you have ever shot or owned one, but at least my research and test shooting PLUS the minimal recoil helped me make the choice to try/go with the CM. As I only hunt Texas game these days, my 1st preference (not in the OP) is the Grendel with the CM as my primary backup.

Not trying to start an argument, but the casing set up on the CM, when you research the history of the round was primarily designed for longer distances with reduced recoil. My 3 son's also love the round...just saying.

Comment

This is a joke, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

300 wm

Comment

Working...
                                X