School me on tasers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on tasers

What kinds are there? What works best? Price? Brands?

same ones the police carry...Legal for all Texas residents.

Comment

Originally posted by niceg3s View Post
      What kinds are there? What works best? Price? Brands?
      Taser is a brand name so there is only one... Taser brand.

There are several models and although they are all legal to own and carry, a couple are intended for law enforcement and a couple are intended for civilian use.

The more civilian models run for a 30 second cycle before the unit turns itself off. You can stay and hit the person again with another cycle if needed. I believe the intent from Taser is to shoot the attacker, leave the Taser on the ground and flee. I think that Taser still replaces the unit free if a person uses it in self defense and escapes AND makes a police report of the incident.

The law enforcement geared units are way more expensive and made to run on a 5 second cycle. Cops aren't expected to flee but to use it as a tool to take a person in custody, to disarm someone, etc. When the police use the Taser (or almost any other self defense tool) it isn't usually to escape. Therein lies the difference between the models.

The civilian models are made to use and flee. The police models are made to use and then go hands on with the suspect.

They both can shoot darts (barbed straight fish hooks) out to about 15 feet but some police models go up to 21 or maybe even more. Mine has 21 foot leads.

The police models cost over $1,000 and the civilian geared units cost around $400 or so.

There are other brands out there but to say that Taser corners the market might be a huge understatement.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
        Taser is a brand name so there is only one... Taser brand.

There are several models and although they are all legal to own and carry, a couple are intended for law enforcement and a couple are intended for civilian use.

The more civilian models run for a 30 second cycle before the unit turns itself off. You can stay and hit the person again with another cycle if needed. I believe the intent from Taser is to shoot the attacker, leave the Taser on the ground and flee. I think that Taser still replaces the unit free if a person uses it in self defense and escapes AND makes a police report of the incident.

The law enforcement geared units are way more expensive and made to run on a 5 second cycle. Cops aren't expected to flee but to use it as a tool to take a person in custody, to disarm someone, etc. When the police use the Taser (or almost any other self defense tool) it isn't usually to escape. Therein lies the difference between the models.

The civilian models are made to use and flee. The police models are made to use and then go hands on with the suspect.

They both can shoot darts (barbed straight fish hooks) out to about 15 feet but some police models go up to 21 or maybe even more. Mine has 21 foot leads.

The police models cost over $1,000 and the civilian geared units cost around $400 or so.

There are other brands out there but to say that Taser corners the market might be a huge understatement.
        This is all you need to know right here.

Comment

Working...
        X