Hang On vs. Ladder Stand. Advice!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do all of you prefer to hunt out of?

I am wanting to put a bow stand in a big oak tree at one of my spots, but am having a hard time deciding if I want put up a ladder stand or a hang on. I want to be at least 20-25 feet in the air because the oak is pretty bare until you get up to about 30 feet or so. I figured that 20-25 foot range would be plenty high enough without ample cover from the tree. I tried hunting from a ground blind last year, but the best places to put it is where all the deer come from so I didn't really hunt the spot much last year.

Anyways, any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

With a oak I would do climbing sticks and a lock on.
    Oaks can be tricky with a climber.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

When I was younger, I used hang on stands. Now it's ladder or ground blinds.

Comment

Ladders for me. Haven’t hunted out of a lock on except for once or thrice in prolly 10 years or so.

Skinny

Comment

Millennium Lock Ons for me...but their ladder is the bomb too. Just pricey

Comment

Like both. Prefer lock ons.

Comment

Lock on with 20ft ladder sticks

Comment

Ladders are soooo much easier.

Comment

Seems like it would be difficult to find a ladder stand that went 30 ft. Lock on and steps would work. BUT use a safety harness!!!!!

Comment

I use both. Hard to find a good 20'+ ladder stand. Climbing sticks and a hang on is a good option. Or you could get a 20' tripod and put it right up against the tree.

Comment

I like hang ons. But don't get caught up on 20'. I shot two bucks last year out of two "bare" trees from 12' up. Had 5 bucks in range on the first one and the 2nd one was right under me at one point. Lots of people shoot deer out of a 10' millennium tripod. Being 20-25' up only makes your target surface area smaller.

Comment

2 man ladder for me, I like the extra room for comfort.

Comment

Ladder

Comment

Originally posted by SunsUpGunsUp View Post
                            I like hang ons. But don't get caught up on 20'. I shot two bucks last year out of two "bare" trees from 12' up. Had 5 bucks in range on the first one and the 2nd one was right under me at one point. Lots of people shoot deer out of a 10' millennium tripod. Being 20-25' up only makes your target surface area smaller.
                            That wouldn't work to well in E TX . E TX deer look up I'm trees all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
                              That wouldn't work to well in E TX . E TX deer look up I'm trees all the time.

Lol I assume this is sarcasm.

Comment

Working...
                              X