X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a muller rep on this site. I can't remember his name though

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I built mine it is a 60x40 for $94 sqft and custom is around $110-$125 around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Gbird View Post
        I’d like to keep it around $115/ sq ft. Thinking about stained slab floors and some other cost saving measures. We will be willing to pay for certain aspects like closed cell spray in insulation and a really nice tub for my wife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        I can get you in one like your wanting for $90 or less a square foot.

Comment

I'm not Mr. Know-it-all but I have a few does & don'ts.
          Don't use the yellow vinyl backed insulation it's no very efficient especially for living quarters. Use blown on foam insulation if you can afford it. If you can't afford that or you want to do it yourself use roll out insulation . Some cheap nylon netting will help hold it in place temporarily. If it's going to be permeant use chicken wire. Use a small nail or piece of ?? to twist the chicken wire together about every 18" so it will be real tight.
          I built metal buildings and a few Star houses years ago is the only reason I feel I'm 95% correct on this insulation issue.
          Metal houses used to be less expensive but now a convention home is usually less expensive to build.
          Put in as many BIG good quality windows as you can stand and or afford. There is something about a metal structure that makes them feel 'stuffy' for lack of a better word if they don't have plenty of light.
          Sky lights? They are over rated. They will break down & leak! Also a skylight panel will 'sweat' and it doesn't expand & 'breath' the same as the metal panels. Plus will kill your electric bill.
          Good luck.
          God bless.
          Semper fi.
          PS: A welded building will be better and less expensive than a 'kit building" by Mueller, Butler etc. Wood framing will save A LOT of money. I'm talking about the structural part not wall studs and such.
          Last edited by texaspacker; 03-05-2018, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by howzitbra View Post
            Oh ok. I always just call it a pole barn home. It is very nice on the inside. They live in Tahlequah, Ok.

Pole barn....post frame...same thing. We are getting ready to start one on our farm in Iowa. This is what we are planning to build. You ask about a metal frame building in Iowa and they act like they have never heard of one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Brother in law had one built, they sub contracted it themselves. They ended up doing the pole barn style building. They did sheet rock, floors, paint, and everything else. Ended up with $117k for a 1800sqft, custom cabinets, all grade a wood floors, and granite throughout the house. The route I will go once I am ready to build.

Comment

Originally posted by Brett C View Post
                OP I would pick his brain if I were you....

Comment

Originally posted by Brett C View Post

Tell me more, please. You have my attention. Feel free to PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesotto View Post
                    I built mine it is a 60x40 for $94 sqft and custom is around $110-$125 around here.

We are looking at a 60x40 as well. Where are you located? Did that include the slab and frame?

Comment

Well guys, it’s official! I sold my house today! I’m going to be kicking this whole metal home thing into high gear now!

I’ve sent a few PM’s to some of you guys who said you can build and finish one out for $90 or less. I’d be real interested in talking to you! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Gbird View Post
                        Well guys, it’s official! I sold my house today! I’m going to be kicking this whole metal home thing into high gear now!

I’ve sent a few PM’s to some of you guys who said you can build and finish one out for $90 or less. I’d be real interested in talking to you! Thanks!

Also realize your non living is only $17-24/ft, so the shop part is cheap compared to living area. I built about 4 years ago, but my living was about 71.21/ft and non living insulated under roof with concrete 15.33, under roof no slab, 9.33/ft. Custom conventional at the time was 125/ft and was based off under roof.
                        Last edited by BrianL; 03-06-2018, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                          Also realize your non living is only $17-24/ft, so the shop part is cheap compared to living area. I built about 4 years ago, but my living was about 71.21/ft and non living insulated under roof with concrete 15.33, under roof no slab, 9.33/ft. Custom conventional at the time was 125/ft and was based off under roof.

Yeah... I’m going to investigate over pouring my slab for a garage/shop if I can afford it. First, I’m going to have to figure out a cost of everything and figure out exactly what my budget is, although I already have a good idea of it.

Comment

There are a bunch of options that make the cost cheaper. Concrete slabs can be cut and stained to look like tile. I know a guy that cut his after they poured the slab. Then he covered the floor with heavy plastic for the rest of the build. He went in with a garden sprayer and sprayed and glopped the stain. It looked bad arse to say the least. A comparable tile would have cost over $5. a sq ft.

Open cell vs closed cell spray foam insulation. Big difference in price. We moved from a slab to pier and beam. It was $2800 to spray open cell under the house. I opted for open cell because if we ever had a leak, water would eventually (Quite a long time) pass through the open cell. If I had sprayed closed cell, the water would never have a chance to escape. The difference was $3800 for closed cell and $2800 for open cell.

Windows. There are a lot of windows out there today. You can buy a decent energy efficient window for not a lot of money. I installed my own twice on the same house. I have 19 windows and spent $3300 on custom windows that I installed myself. I cheated as my cuz owns a window company. However, normally that install would have been $11000. There are way cheaper options.

It is examples like these, plus many more, that can run the price of a custom build through the roof or save you a ton of money.

Comment

There are advantages to both conventional and barndo. One of the biggest advantages of the barndo is low property taxes. That is becoming a bigger issue with me every year. I pay as much in taxes as I do in mortgage on a house Georgetown and it drives me nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by sasqy View Post
                                Their fabrication doesn’t line up very well, bolt holes and plates.
                                They span maximum distances with small material.
                                They use Zpurlin for their roof lathes which is flimsy.
                                They rely on the sheet metal to give the frame strength.
                                A good frame should not sway around before sheathing.
                                The price for pre engineered buildings doesn’t justify their product.
                                Find yourself a good contractor and just have one made from scratch without a kit.
                                I’m just saying there are better options IMHO.
                                They have several levels of "kits" you are probably taking the cheapest kit and comparing it to a full blown beam building. Not much info here really more emotion. Did you have a bad experience?

Comment

Working...
                                X