Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idaho OTC archery elk

Fellas,
    I will be going to Idaho this year with a couple of friends from my fire station to hunt elk OTC for the first time this year. I have guided on about 6 West Texas free range bulls on private land but have never chased them on public. We have done our research on gear and fitness. We are in the process of trying to dial in some areas to hunt. I am not asking anybody for their hunting spots but would appreciate any advice on what to look for when picking out an area to concentrate. We will be driving up from San Antonio and hunting September 9-19th. As of right now we are looking at the Lemhi zone. Thanks and I appreciate any advice that you are willing to share.
    regards,
    Zach

I’ve had a ft of snow on opening weekend in central Idaho before. Be prepared for the extreme. Buy a wolf tag. Also remember your elk tag is also good for a bear or lion or wolf.

Comment

I would do research on the area you are looking at for fires, wolves in the area and if they run bear dogs there.

I hunted in McCall last year and all of the above happened, went from hot to snow so be prepared for weather change.

Best of luck to you guys and be safe !

Comment

Thanks guys. We are also looking at the Pioneer Zone.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda2525 View Post
          Thanks guys. We are also looking at the Pioneer Zone.
          More wolves but I bet it gets really pounded this year.

Born and raised outdoors kind of screwed it un-intentionally when they where doing thier gohunt preview of Idaho and basically highlighted it as the top Archery success unit in the state. Note that pioneer a has a bunch of dirt bike trails. Don’t be suprised to almost get ran over 8 miles back. Now 99% are cool guys and ladies though, but they will eat some dirt when they get going.

Comment

In for replies. I'm also looking to do a diy hunt in Idaho in the near future but it wont be this year.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Comment

I've hunted Idaho OTC Unit 51 (Lemhi) before and it went pretty well. I could have killed a cow but held off for the big bull behind her. I see that you're in Seguin and I'm not far down the road. I would be glad to share my knowledge to help you out.

There is also another TBHer that looks like he is going up this year. You could also include him in the group as he may be by himself.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=690862
              Last edited by dtu11; 05-23-2018, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Pack a fly rod and small assortment of dry flies. The last 4 times I’ve wemt I spent more time tossing flies than hunting.

Comment

Working...
                X