Africa....talk to me about logistics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Africa....talk to me about logistics

After a great weekend at the DSC we are a step closer to finally making the leap on a trip to Africa of several outfitters we talked to it seems as though we have about a days travel from the airport to the lodge.

What I am struggling with is how much time I truly need to make a go of this. If I have 6 days hunting two days travel in Africa that is 8 days. Then do I have another 4 in flights into and back to the states
    Last edited by Austin; 01-07-2018, 10:37 PM.

To be safe yes another 4

Comment

Tagged for intel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If I ever go back I’m taking the non stop flight from Atlanta. We had a stop in Dakar and it sucked. It’s a 16-19 hour flight. You leave in the early evening and arrive the next evening, go to the bed and breakfast eat go to bed and fly to next city then on to the concession.

Comment

take more time off...stay and hunt longer.

The time flies by.

I think we will be gone for at least two weeks this year.

Comment

We are going to SA (Sun City) not for hunting but for leisure (My wife earned a all inclusive trip for 2 with her work from home gig). We are taking the Flight from Houston to Atlanta to Johannesburg and the same flight back.

Comment

I agree with what has been said above. Do the one way from Atlanta. I am in Nigeria, which is a different location than your destination but my travel plan took me from Houston to Frankfurt to Harcourt. Long 4 hour layovers in Frankfurt both ways and adds about 7-8hrs of flight time overall. Also, carry cash (separate from your normal travel money) for when you land. Not sure how it will be at your final destination and how that compares to what I dealt with but it can't hurt. Approximately $100 in 5's and 10's. Of that $100, put x amount in one pocket and x amount in another pocket. If they see the money, they will push to "earn" it, just like Vegas / New Orleans. Don't forget your shot records.

Not sure any of this will apply to your trip but hopefully something helps.

Comment

Austin,

Your travel time to, and around once in Africa can vary widely depending on the outfitter's location, and the logistics they have in place to transfer their hunting guests... Location and travel time are both important considerations in selecting your outfitter, especially if you are limited on time.

Outfitters based in the Limpopo, Free State, or the North West provinces are usually a 4-hour or less drive from Jo'burg. Outside of that, you are generally looking at another domestic connecting flight from Jo'burg to your next destination which usually means another day of travel, a lost day of hunting, or both.

There are many airline carries that will get you there, but I highly recommend avoiding all routes through Europe. These will have the lengthiest layovers, more connections, and most European countries are not hunter-friendly in regard to traveling with bows and rifles. The two direct flights offered by SAA and Delta are the fasted way to go. With Delta, it's an evening departure from Atlanta, and then an early evening arrival in Jo'burg the next day.... With SAA it is a morning departure from JFK and then a morning arrival in Jo'burg the following day... If you need to make a connection to another province, that may add another travel day to your itinerary. Same deal coming home...

Any reputable outfitter should be able to plan and offer a suggested travel itinerary for you...Feel free to PM me with your proposed itinerary. I would be glad to go over it and give you a very good idea of what you are looking at for options in travel and transfer time.
                Last edited by firehunt fish; 01-08-2018, 01:32 PM.

Comment

I have always taken the direct flight from ATL. The first time I went, I did a 7 day safari. That means I took a full work week off. M-F, but with weekends on both sides of it, it gave me 9 days to get there, have my safari and get home. Going direct from ATL will cost you about 3 days total, there and back. The rest is hunting, depending on your final destination. The other thing to consider is your outfitter. My outfitter (Limcroma) usually picks me up at the airport in Jo'berg when I arrive and drives me to camp. That's about 4 hours after the long flight, but it also means I get to camp the same day I arrive in South Africa, which means I am hunting the next morning. Many outfitters will have you stay overnight at the Afton guest house or similar and pick you up the next day. You then spend at least half of that day getting to camp and you may or may not hunt that day. I now only go over for 10 day safaris, but I plan 14 days of being gone just to be safe. Hope that helps, but there are lots of variables to consider and without all the details of your trip its hard to say for sure.

Comment

I am going June of 2019 for 10 days and am planning on being gone for 14....figure 2 days on the front and back end of the hunt. I also would second the Atlanta to Johannesburg flight. Broadheads are now illegal in a couple of the European countries that you could pass through, and with a firearm, the least amount of stops and countries you stop in the better.

I would also look at a company like gracytravel.com. I had originally planned on hunting this August, but had to push it back. That said, I will be booking my trip through Gracy, mainly because they will walk you through the firearm checkin upon arrival in Johannesburg.

Comment

Going there you loose 8 hrs and coming home you gain it. Last time I went I left on Thursday morning and hunted Saturday morning, Then I left on Friday morning to come home and got home lunch time on Saturday. Not sure where you are planning to hunt but the last place I hunted was less than 2 hrs from the Port E airport. I don't know what you plan to hunt, but if you are hunting plains game you don't need much time but if you are doing a big 5 hunt you might need more. I hunted 6 days and killed 12 animals and could have killed more if I had the budget and wall space.

Comment

Originally posted by tommy1005 View Post
                        I am going June of 2019 for 10 days and am planning on being gone for 14....figure 2 days on the front and back end of the hunt. I also would second the Atlanta to Johannesburg flight. Broadheads are now illegal in a couple of the European countries that you could pass through, and with a firearm, the least amount of stops and countries you stop in the better.

I would also look at a company like gracytravel.com. I had originally planned on hunting this August, but had to push it back. That said, I will be booking my trip through Gracy, mainly because they will walk you through the firearm checkin upon arrival in Johannesburg.
                        I would not recommend hunting with a bow if you are plains game hunting. For me sitting over a water hole for a week while in Africa is not a fun idea. All of the hunting I did last trip was spot and stalk and most of my shots were over 200 yards and several over 300. I love to bow hunt in Texas because gun is not much challenge but in Africa the challenges are much different.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter Dan View Post
                          I would not recommend hunting with a bow if you are plains game hunting. For me sitting over a water hole for a week while in Africa is not a fun idea. All of the hunting I did last trip was spot and stalk and most of my shots were over 200 yards and several over 300. I love to bow hunt in Texas because gun is not much challenge but in Africa the challenges are much different.
                          Every time I go to Africa I do some spot and stalk hunting with my bow. The amount of it depends on me and what I'm hunting, but I've never spent my entire trip in a blind. I enjoy chasing them with my bow. Love the challenge and the accomplishment. Just because you are hunting with a bow doesn't mean you can't get out of the blind and go after them. I'll be going back in July 2019 and chasing Bushbuck. Very rare to see one at a water hole. I'll be out walking the rivers looking for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter Dan View Post
                            I would not recommend hunting with a bow if you are plains game hunting. For me sitting over a water hole for a week while in Africa is not a fun idea.
                            I don't want to hijack the OP's thread and get too far off subject, but I did want to comment on the statement above... I suppose I feel the same way about shooting an animal with a rifle, but I would never discourage any rifle hunter from hunting with one if that is what they enjoy...Bow hunting from a hide over water, food, or a mineral block is not the ideal situation for everyone, but it is absolutely the most effective way to provide the most opportunity for most first-time hunters visiting Africa with a wish list of trophy animals and a set amount of time to hunt. And, even though it is not my preferred method to bow hunt, it still can be lots of fun. Challenge and reward is very subjective among hunters, and every hunt doesn't have to be the stalk of a lifetime to be enjoyable in my opinion.

I have hunted Africa 6 times now, and I haven't sat in a hide more than a couple occasions with my wife unless it was at night hunting for predators. I prefer to spot & stalk but I am also realistic about my expectations of success. I know going in that my opportunities will be much more limited. A good outfitter will conduct the hunt any way the client prefers, but the client must also understand that opportunity will be different than committing the same amount of time hunting from the hides.

Rlander and I have both hunted with Limcroma Safaris multiple times. One of many reasons is because the owner and PHs are all experienced bow hunters themselves. They understand the special challenges and account for all of the small details necessary for their bow hunting clients to be as successful as possible. They will hunt any way the client prefers, and they encourage spot & stalk as much as possible as conditions dictate provided the client is up for the challenge.

In my opinion, Africa is a bow hunter's paradise, and I would encourage every bow hunter to make the trip at least once in their lifetime.

Comment

Thank you all. I don't have much time to check in during the day but that helps a lot.

I would love to make a longer trip but at this stage with work and little kids it is hard to grab more than a week for just myself.

I would like to take a Friday and the full next week off giving me 10 days total with 6 being hunting days and and 4 total travel days which should work as long as I get direct flights and can get to camp the same day we arrive in Jo-berg

Comment

Working...
                              X