New to traditional.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to traditional.......

I have been wanting to get into traditional archery for a while. I have a chance to purchase a new Impala Heritage by PSE for $100-$120. Is this bow worth it. Draw weight is 40lbs at 28" draw length. My draw length is 38" with my compound. Thanks up front for your help.

I don't know much about that bow but if you shoot it and it feels good, I say go for it. I recently bought a PSE Coyote and really didn't like it. I let a buddy shoot it that is getting into trad and he loved it and is now shooting it. I also posted some questions about that model on Tradgang and most of the responses were more favorable toward the Impala as a hunting bow (my Coyote was LOUD and heavy). By the way, that bow would make a great backups or bowfishing rig when you move on to bigger and better trad bows. Good luck with your decision and have fun with the trad gear.

Comment

"My draw length is 38" with my compound". You must have some really long arms. ( I'm just teasing.) Seriously, I agree with duck'n, Try the trad thing and if you like it and upgrade at a later time you still have a good backup/bowfishing bow.
      Good luck and if you hang out on this site you can learn a lot, as there are some very knowledgeable folks on here.

Comment

thanks for the info. Now I am just waiting for a response from the seller. I know I will have more questions once I get a bow pertaining to arrows and everything else. thanks again.

Comment

if you have a 38 in. draw you will only lose about 2 or 3 in. when you go from compound to trad. so let say you have a 35 in. trade draw , that bow needs to be about 66-70 inches or you are going to pinch your fingers really bad.

Comment

My draw length is 28" it was a typo.

Comment

Just another thing to think about...I sold my used Coyote for $100 (what I bought it for used) so I would imagine you can recover most of your investment as long as you don't beat that thing up too bad. My guess is you won't want to though. I still have my first "real" trad bow...a Bear that isn't worth much other than sentimental value but it still shoots great and if someone called me right now to go shoot pigs, that is the bow I would grab. Keep in mind, a bow doesn't have to cost alot to shoot good. Keep us posted, we like having new blood around here! I used to hunt Dripping Springs area by the way...heck I was out there last year with a buddy. Nice area.

Comment

Get a martin or a bear I beleive it would be a better boe to get into trad archery. I started out with a Coyote and killed 3 deer my first season with it.
                Paul

Comment

One thing to consider is if your are planning on hunting with this bow your poundage may not be legal if your draw length is not 28" Most people lose 2 -3 inches of draw length from what they shoot with a coumpound. I would consider maybe something just a little heavier if you can pull it comfortably. A general rule is most stick bows will lose between 2 -4 lbs. of draw weight for every inch under the 28 " standard. I would measure your actual draw weight and then you can decide. Most adult men can shoot 45 -50lb. bows with no problems.

Comment

It lists for $189, so the price is good if it's new like you said. I've not seen one, but it's a nice looking bow, and you can take it apart to transport if needed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SUNP0143 (Medium).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	24727277

To get into traditional shooting and learn good shooting form it should do you well, but you'll probably be wanting to get a second bow that's higher poundage for hunting in the future, remember a lot of deer have fallen to 40# recurves. My first recurve is 41# and I use it to take some lessons on form and gap shooting. My second recurve is 54# which I shoot all the time and hunt with. Longbow is 63#, not doing much with it (won it at club event).

I'd recommend you invest a couple of $ and get real lessons from an instructor, more than pointers from a buddy at the range. I've been friends with the owner of the local archery shop for years, and the difference in how he worked with me was big when I paid $15/hour for lessons. It only took 2 lessons to make a big difference in my shooting with trad gear.

Comment

I would love to find a pro...especially for $15/hour!

Comment

The owner of "my" local archery shop in Gilroy, CA (the garlic capital of the USA!) is a NAA Level 5 coach, has coached people at national level. That's what Mike charged me. I'd look at the NAA web site, see if there is anybody who's an instructor in your area.

If somebody is beginning traditional, honestly having somebody who is NAA Level 1 or 2 will probably suffice to go over stance, mechanics, release, etc. I've been shooting the 41# Red Wing Hunter I mentioned on and off for 39 years (I feel old) and I learned enough to let me practice the "right" shooting technique. I'm also lucky in that the club I belong to is 80+ percent traditional archers, and the best shooters are very generous with their time/ comments.

Comment

I would also remeber that if it is 40@28, your draw length is most likely going to be about 26 inches and you are only going to drawing like 34 or so Lbs. But that is good because you shouldn't be over powering yourself and get proper form.
                          Chris Kiefner

Comment

Working...
                          X