Trying to bare shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to bare shaft

I have two Sarrels longbows and I"m trying to bare shaft a Goldtip Traditional 55/75. I thought that this shaft would work one one of them. Well I have went from a 100 gn to 250 gn tip and the results are about the same all hitting with the knock to the left. They are full length and one bow is 55# and the other is 65#. I was for sure that the would work with the 55# bow, any suggestions or tips.

Wil

I had a similar experience with some BPS Carbon Supreme 350's out of my Sarrels Teton 58#@28". I went up to 300 or 325 up front and STILL couldn't get rid of the nock left kick. I gave up on those and will just use them for stumpin and rabbits. They fly ok once fletched especially at my effective range on rabbits.

I am shooting full length GT 35/55's with 225 gr. up front and they fly decent. I just happen to have those for another bow and tried them to see. The flight isn't as much an issue as them being kinda noisy since they are lighter than I prefer. I just "borrowed" a Beman MFX Classic in 400 spine to play with and see if I can get it shooting better than the GT's...it is heavier so hopefully I can get it tuned.

Comment

I am shooting the MTX 340's in the 65# bow and the shoot great. And a ICS classic 400 with 175 gr. up front in the 55#. This is mind boggleing to me. If they were shooting alot different out of each bow I could understand, but what I have read this morning is that my center shot is off. Got Me

Comment

Mu understanding of bare shaft testing is not so much where the nocks are, but where the arrows group compared to a fletched arrow. Check the Easton Archery tuning guide, but I believe if the bare shafts are grouping left of fletched arrows they're overspined (try more tip weight and see if they shoot the same as fletched), and if they hit right they're underspined. I do it at 20 yards. Never bare shaft with broadheads. Common sense, but I always add it so nobody gets hurt!

Comment

The 55/75's are too stiff for the 55# bow. They will work fine out of the 65#, but I like the Carbon Express Terminator better for the arrow weight.

I shoot 35/55's out of a 57# Dwyer longbow, 200gr point plus 100gr brass adapter...300gr up front. They fly like darts bareshaft, group tight at 20 yards. 570gr total arrow weight. My draw is 27 1/2", the shafts are cut 30".

Comment

I was shooting 29" Eaton Axis 340s with 250 grain tips and was disappointed about my grouping so I went and bought another dozen and set 3 up to my bare shaft with my 29" arrows as I shot and made my up and down adjustments my 29" groups began to slow open up. Next I cut my new bareshafts down to stiffen them up and was suprised that I should of been shooting these arrows an inch longer. So now my easton axis 340s with250 grain points are 30" long and fly like darts people swear I am using sights. But that is what bare shafting will do for ya!!! Goodluck
            Paul

Comment

Working...
            X