No announcement yet.

What do you let kids shoot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't shot a deer in 10 years and don't plan to do I get my kicks from watching my kids hunt

Comment

My youngest missed a huge deer in Mex at 125 yards when he was too little and that deer was a "once in a lifetime lowfence". I wont forget that deer. I have no regrets but I doubt he remembers. Maybe I should have shot? I was just hoping for the best

Comment

My son is 5 and he’s waiting for a 272” on the neighbors place after dark j/k

Comment

My only trophy buck is in my avatar killed at 19. I'm 30 now and its still the only one I've been able to pull the trigger on.

I think it's good for the heard to let them hammer a big one early. Then they won't kill everything that walks out with antlers. I kill does/cull bucks for meat and always chasing 140+ bucks now.

Comment

Anything that I’d be willing to shoot.

Skinny

Comment

Anything that's legal my son can shoot. Big, small, need another year, all is good.

Best thing is that he wants to hunt hogs. I have a lot coming in so next weekend we may stay in the stand until after dark and see what shows up. His 6.5 Grendel needs to go to work

Comment

What do you let kids shoot?

It goes both ways

I had my brother and nephew out this weekend. We saw several deer but none were really in range. He was getting discouraged and pretty much lost interest. He got sleepy and we started to lay on floor of the box stand.
                Not 5 minutes go by, and a very nice 10pt bigger than anything me or my brother have killed steps out 60 yards in spot we didnt expect. Long story short, we were there for my nephew to hunt. He made too much noise getting set and the buck moved off. Me or by brother could have easily shot him but we let him try and get his first deer.

It didnt work out, but he has a memory of his weekend at his uncle's (my) property

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Anything under 140 .....he has not suffered enough long cold miserable days.

Comment

We are hunting youth season now for my sons first buck and the buck that is showing up most is the buck that was my target this year as well as my neighbors target.

He has been on cam at 830am 3 out of the last 4 days, and we plan on being out there tomorrow.

I'm a little torn, there are 3 other bucks that I would love to see him get, but if ol big boy steps out it's gonna be tough to watch him walk away. I've been trying to kill him since 2013 and he has declined a bit from last year, he has proven to be pretty difficult to get close to during the season.

Brock said he wouldn't shoot if we see him, he wants to leave him for me next year...

Comment

Kids shoot anything they want/first thing that steps out. I couldn’t imagine telling a kid that they couldn’t shoot a particular deer due to a made up “rule”. That seems like a good way for kids to lose interest.

Comment

I was just thinking about this in bed last night (my wife is currently pregnant with our first). My old man let me shoot the first deer we came across ended up taking ten years to beat it! It would have been good to shoot a smaller animal first up and work my way up to big deer. We kinda got brought up with the mantra if a deer isn't as big as something you already have don't shoot. In that respect it sucked because there's so many deer other kids where shooting I wasn't allowed.

Would I take it back though? No way!

I think the thing is though, does a kid appreciate what they're shooting or would they be just as happy with a spike or something small?

I'll probably end up letting mine shoot anything but I'd like to think I'll start em small and fet them on the track of learning to appreciate the challenge and drive to shoot something more mature as time goes on.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

Nope...does, then spikes, then they work there way up. If one of my Kids killed a 150" at 10 they would be ahead of their 45 year old father and I'm not sure they would be "driven" to keep hunting....but that's just me

Comment

When mine were young I let them hunt with me, I tried to get them big deer, my 10 year olds first deer was over 140 inches, when he was 10 i meant to say. Anyway i had them hunt pretty much like i did, mature deer or culls and does.

Comment

I’ve never told my kids no, if they are hunting then they get first shot, but of course I’ve never seen a really nice buck with them around so, I do always say if it’s a bigun, it’ll be mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We are MLD and have a limited amount of Buck tags. In our family, 6 that hunt and each family get “one” trophy tag. But if a big deer stepped out I would probably let Riley shoot it. She has put forth the work around the Ranch and all. It would just mean I don’t get to a big deer that year.

Comment

Working...
                                X