Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-20-2018, 08:21 PM   #1
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default Primos Double Bull and Ameristep Element Ground Blind material questions...

Looking to buy a few ground blinds for next year to upgrade.... more for turkey season but I figured I'd go ahead and get them before deer season too. I will eventually go find somewhere that has them on display or where I can open a box and feel the materials but I figured I'd ask to see if some TBHers had any experience with them before I can get there...... I'm intersted in what you thought of them, their materials and how they held up.

Three blinds I am interested in at this moment are......

Primos Double Bull Deluxe...
Primos Double Bull bullpen..

The new Ameristep Element...

I've read some great things about all three but my biggest concern about the double bulls is I've heard rumblings that their materials post Primos aren't what they used to be and that some of the lower end models are cheaply made (like the bullpen). I don't know personally, as I've only hunted in DBs made before Primos took over. ClayW had one of the smaller Primos blinds when he was up hunting with us, but I never hunted out of it or was able to touch it.

Can somebody confirm or deny this material rumor about Primos Double Bulls? and how well they hold up?

I have read that Ameristeps blinds are pretty light made material-wise until you step up into the $150 plus models. Sounds like the Element is a much better material and blind than the other AS's and folks seems to like it much better. Anybody have any experience with the Element in the last year or so and how are they holding up?.... comparable to the new double bull materials? Anybody with any Ameristep blind experience at all they'd like to share ?

I guess the bottom line is I don't want to spend old Double Bull money on substandard newer Double Bull materials if that's the case.....I like the Double Bull and the Element's window layouts so I'm neutral there.

Now all that said......These will not be out much. 9-15 days tops in turkey season....as we are usually done after the first two weekends and there will just be spot days/weekends after that initial 9 days. Deer season I don't plan on leaving it out that much since we have four permanent box blinds at our pens..but its possible they will see some away from the feedpen duty. I take real good care of my stuff so I'd like to buy something that will last. I have a Cabelas Predator Den GB, I bought in 2007 for $100-110 and that sucker is still going strong although it's fading a bit. Had it out for a full deer season in 2007....and then just spot deer and turkey weekend duty after that like described above. I used it the first two weekends this year with good success but the corner windows are way to low for me to see well to my sides, so I'd like to upgrade it.

If you zoom in you can see just how low the corner windows are.

Name:  IMG_1379.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  149.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1381.JPG
Views: 586
Size:  167.3 KB

Name:  Decoys2.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  66.9 KB

Any experiences or confirmation/denial of the above would be mucho appreciated. Thanks fellas.

Last edited by Smart; 04-20-2018 at 08:23 PM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2018, 08:26 PM   #2
canny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston & Zavalla

I have an ameristep and the material is kinda thin, but itís not so thin that you can see the small pin holes around the stitching. I honestly donít remember what model it is but I paid around 100.00 for it at Academy. I will concur that the material of the DB post primos is not as thick as it used to be. I donít think you can go wrong with either IMO. The next one I want to try out is a Rhino or a Baronett Iíve heard good things about them but never hunted in one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
canny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2018, 08:31 PM   #3
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

I have the DB double wide. It's been very durable.
oktx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2018, 08:45 PM   #4
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktx View Post

Is that a Primos DB oktx?
Old 04-20-2018, 08:51 PM   #5
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by canny View Post
I have an ameristep and the material is kinda thin, but itís not so thin that you can see the small pin holes around the stitching. I honestly donít remember what model it is but I paid around 100.00 for it at Academy. I will concur that the material of the DB post primos is not as thick as it used to be. I donít think you can go wrong with either IMO. The next one I want to try out is a Rhino or a Baronett Iíve heard good things about them but never hunted in one.

I think as little as I am going to use them, you are right... but I've also read reports of folks tearing or having them rip at the seams on some of the more economical AS's the first few times out..
Old 04-20-2018, 08:52 PM   #6
ClayW
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Karnes County

Find you a DB Darkhorse. Best blinds ever made IMO

As a matter of fact, find a few so I can buy another one or 2
ClayW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2018, 08:53 PM   #7
canny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston & Zavalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
I think as little as I am going to use them, you are right... but I've also read reports of folks tearing or having them rip at the seams on some of the more economical AS's the first few times out..

I set my Ameristep up in the mesquite at our Zavalla County property in Sept and left it all season. When I took it down in January it had no holes or any signs of damage. Iíd definitely buy them again. If your wanting heavy duty fabric the Rhino blinds have material very similar to the original DB blinds, but they are more costly than the AS.

canny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2018, 08:59 PM   #8
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayW View Post

Sounds like an impossible task.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:04 PM   #9
ByronB
Ten Point

Name:  175C56D1-8223-4A4B-90BF-CA82F00EA9E3.jpeg
Views: 541
Size:  139.7 KB

Jason, I bought the Double Bull Double Wide when they were on sale through Rogers Sporting Goods. I used it three times last deer season. My son arrowed a doe out of it during one sit. Plenty of room. The material is very durable in my opinion. I do not leave it up for more than a few days at a time. Great blind. I would not pay full price for a Double Bull but thatís just me.
ByronB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2018, 09:19 PM   #10
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by canny View Post
I set my Ameristep up in the mesquite at our Zavalla County property in Sept and left it all season. When I took it down in January it had no holes or any signs of damage. Iíd definitely buy them again. If your wanting heavy duty fabric the Rhino blinds have material very similar to the original DB blinds, but they are more costly than the AS.

That's good news. A few PMs are telling me I need to look at Rhino and Baronett blinds too. I'll give them a look as well...thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronB View Post
Attachment 905412

Jason, I bought the Double Bull Double Wide when they were on sale through Rogers Sporting Goods. I used it three times last deer season. My son arrowed a doe out of it during one sit. Plenty of room. The material is very durable in my opinion. I do not leave it up for more than a few days at a time. Great blind. I would not pay full price for a Double Bull but thatís just me.
Byron....Very nice!

Would you mind telling me what Roger's had them on sale for so I can hope lol..? I used to buy duckshells from them all the time. I am hoping to run into something like that this offseason since I'm in no hurry to buy these.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:28 PM   #11
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Byron....Very nice!

Would you mind telling me what Roger's had them on sale for so I can hope lol..? I used to buy duckshells from them all the time. I am hoping to run into something like that this offseason since I'm in no hurry to buy these.
Oh hell I just saw. I think I'mma be sick for missing those...son of a ....LOL..
Old 04-20-2018, 09:49 PM   #12
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

Quote:
Is that a Primos DB oktx?
Yes.
oktx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2018, 11:00 PM   #13
ByronB
Ten Point

Quote:
Oh hell I just saw. I think I'mma be sick for missing those...son of a ....LOL..

Ya, It was one of those.....once in a lifetime deals. They may go on sale again though. Normally someone will post about it on here. That was the only way I caught it. I had never heard of Rogers Sporting Goods before that. There were a few guys on here that bought a couple at a time. Maybe someone will sell one.
ByronB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 11:42 AM   #14
talltexasshoote
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent and garza counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayW View Post

This. They are still made of the old fabric grade. I bought a ďsmasherĒ from Cabelaís last year. It is primos/double bulls lower class. Definitely thinner material. It made it up on that tower from August through March when the winds split it. It was 89.00. I guess the big question is whether to buy a 300 blind that should last 3-5 years or 3 89.00 blinds that only last one.
talltexasshoote is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 01:35 PM   #15
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by talltexasshoote View Post
This. They are still made of the old fabric grade. I bought a ďsmasherĒ from Cabelaís last year. It is primos/double bulls lower class. Definitely thinner material. It made it up on that tower from August through March when the winds split it. It was 89.00. I guess the big question is whether to buy a 300 blind that should last 3-5 years or 3 89.00 blinds that only last one.
I don't think the Dark Horse is available anymore Keith...or I probably wouldn't have posted this..
Old 04-21-2018, 04:30 PM   #16
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion co, Navarro Co

I have had several DB and I like my rhino blinds better
KactusKiller is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 04:31 PM   #17
Smart
Pope & Young

Default Primos Double Bull and Ameristep Element Ground Blind material questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KactusKiller View Post
I have had several DB and I like my rhino blinds better

Why is that? Specifically I mean? Iím all ears.

Last edited by Smart; 04-21-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:44 PM   #18
Bh_liberty
Ten Point

2 years ago I bought a rhino blind and a db. Theyíve been out every since. When we moved to our new lease I havenít set them up yet but the db still looks new. The rhino is sun faded bad and the back wall ripped all the way across the bottom mice thought it tasted good.

Bh_liberty is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 10:22 PM   #19
thehairlessone!
Ten Point

Hunt In: <---- Top Secret!

i have a rhino in the garage i'm going to sell. Used a couple times. I got the new double bull today. Surround 180. Cant wait to get it out in the field. The DB material has changed from years ago but it is better than the rhino. Love the view from the new DB surround

rick
thehairlessone! is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 07:33 AM   #20
WCB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Grayson

What about the Xenek? Are they any good??
WCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 08:06 AM   #21
Ag_Attack
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sutton/Val Verde/Edwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktx View Post
X2. Iím impressed with it. Especially how quiet it is to get into and out of and how the windows secure on the inside.
Ag_Attack is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 07:29 PM   #22
tiberiuswade
Four Point

I have two DB with the better material (thicker than) and 1 AS. The rhino is ok, but for the $$$ Academy may have some on display to see and feel. This what I do during the off season...shop smart...sales going on never pay full price.
Now when I get mine I set it up in yard and spray 2-3 coats of Thompson water seal all over the outer shell (well before deer season), help weather proof and keep from fading if left out. Today's DB (see label...made in...wait for it---China ). Material thinner and you may see pin holes once set up...not what I pay for. The water seal helps the material (much like waxing your bow string). Each blind are different size I have and all still look new. The poles on the DB are thinner than older models.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
tiberiuswade is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 09:35 PM   #23
Throwin' Darts
Ten Point

I have two Double Bull Deluxes and one Bullpen. The Deluxe is an awesome blind and I have no complaints. I hate the Bullpen. The door is freakin awful. So bad you want to light the dang blind on fire getting in and out of the thing. I'd buy any other deluxe in a heart beat. The bullpen is crap though.
Throwin' Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 10:38 PM   #24
Fishcat91
Eight Point

Hunt In: Secret Spot

I had a couple of the primos double bull blinds before. I was bad about leaving them out after season. So the sun tooks its toll on the materials and it dry rotted over time, but that's a lot of my fault for leaving them out year around. Good blinds overall. My last one the cows had fun with it and broke a bunch of the rods. Ended up just building a permimant ground blind last year out of 2x4's and paneling. Double bulls are spacious they are hard to beat. If I do need to buy another portable blind it will be out of the primos line.
Fishcat91 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 11:35 PM   #25
Kdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, TX/Wisconsin/Canada

I bought a double bull recently. I am not sure what model it is, I got the "deal" from cabelas that also came with 2 chairs. I have to say it is an awesome blind. Time will tell on how it lasts, I do know I paid a pretty penny for it.
Kdog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2018, 09:24 AM   #26
mev002
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX

I have the DB bullpen and a Rhino blind. The rhino blind is about 3 years old, and its on its last leg. The DB bullpen is about a year old and is still in excellent condition. Both are great blinds, but for the money Id go with the DB bullpen. The material is about the same, but the DB hasn't faded yet. The hubs are much better on the DB IMO as well.
mev002 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2018, 06:44 PM   #27
XENEK
Four Point

Arrow XENEK's Apex Ground Blind

You may want to look into our Apex ground blind. XENEK offers a lifetime warranty on the frame and 2-year warranty on the fabric. The patented window system uses 4-way stretch fabric and allows you to manipulate the size, shape, and location of the window to maximize your shooting opportunities. If you'd like more information, you're welcome to email me - jake@huntxenek.com. Good luck in your search.

https://huntxenek.com/
Attached Images

XENEK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2018, 07:05 PM   #28
Hoss163
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

I’ve hunted out of double bulls every kind they have made almost every ameristep made and by far the double bulls are way more durable the primos xxl is a good blind to look at too for durability it is made out of the same fabric as the double bulls but the windows are a little different and they are a lot cheaper then the double bulls the only thing I do not like about the double bulls if your tall you need a short chair are you will have a hurting neck all hunting season !
Hoss163 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2018, 07:45 PM   #29
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss163 View Post
I’ve hunted out of double bulls every kind they have made almost every ameristep made and by far the double bulls are way more durable the primos xxl is a good blind to look at too for durability it is made out of the same fabric as the double bulls but the windows are a little different and they are a lot cheaper then the double bulls the only thing I do not like about the double bulls if your tall you need a short chair are you will have a hurting neck all hunting season !

Have you hunted out of the Ameristep Element that was released 10/2016??

Thanks for the heads up on the XXL.....I'll give it a look. Same to you Xenek!

Last edited by Smart; 04-23-2018 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:24 PM   #30
XENEK
Four Point

Quote:

Here's an article from last year that lays out a few options for you.
http://www.bowhunter.com/gear-access...turkey-blinds/
Old 04-24-2018, 09:24 PM   #31
thehairlessone!
Ten Point

xenek,
can you post more photos of the inside and hub system? cant tell much by the outside photo. That might help you out

rick
Old 04-24-2018, 09:29 PM   #32
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehairlessone! View Post
xenek,
can you post more photos of the inside and hub system? cant tell much by the outside photo. That might help you out

rick
Their website videos are pretty informative
Old 04-24-2018, 09:33 PM   #33
thehairlessone!
Ten Point

i looked at it but i think more photos would be helpful. I know they have good reviews but alot of people probably dont know about them

rick
Old 04-25-2018, 10:20 AM   #34
XENEK
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehairlessone! View Post
xenek,

rick
Happy to get some additional photos for you!
Old 04-25-2018, 10:26 AM   #35
Ag_Attack
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sutton/Val Verde/Edwards

Quote:
Iíve hunted out of double bulls every kind they have made almost every ameristep made and by far the double bulls are way more durable the primos xxl is a good blind to look at too for durability it is made out of the same fabric as the double bulls but the windows are a little different and they are a lot cheaper then the double bulls the only thing I do not like about the double bulls if your tall you need a short chair are you will have a hurting neck all hunting season !
I fount this to be very much the case for me, I am 6'2". Almost forgot about that. Any Ameristep I have hunted out of in the past has been the opposite, most have tall windows.
Ag_Attack is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2018, 12:23 PM   #36
thehairlessone!
Ten Point

Am I the only one that is not a fan of the new double bull Hub system? It is so hard to set up and take down it's ridiculous they said it will get easier with time but I don't know why they had to change it I love the old Hub system
Rick
Old 04-25-2018, 12:34 PM   #37
Hoss163
Ten Point

Just saw amazon has the double bull 180 view on sale for 299
Old 04-25-2018, 12:39 PM   #38
Hoss163
Ten Point

Quote:

Yes I have itís a good sized blind but no better made then the brick house which is usually 50 bucks cheaper then the element the problem we have had with the ameristep is the corner seems rip way to easy !
Old 04-25-2018, 01:03 PM   #39
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Just saw amazon has the double bull 180 view on sale for 299

That blind config has the low corner windows like the Cabelas one I'm trying to replace.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:08 PM   #40
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yes I have itís a good sized blind but no better made then the brick house which is usually 50 bucks cheaper then the element the problem we have had with the ameristep is the corner seems rip way to easy !

Thanks for that feedback....