Officer shot in Atoscocita

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Officer shot in Atoscocita

ATASCOCITA, Texas (KTRK) -- A man is charged with four counts of aggravated assault on a public servant after he reportedly opened fire and injured a Precinct 4 deputy constables in a shootout in Harris County.

Wesley Smith, 31, is charged with four counts of aggravated assault. Smith's charges range from five to 99 years in prison if he's found guilty.

Authorities say one deputy was shot and three other deputies were injured during the shootout.

Harris County Precinct 4 Constable Mark Herman has identified the deputy that was shot as Christopher Gaines, a 2-year deputy assigned to the East District Patrol Division in Humble.

Deputy Thomas Gilliland told ABC13 that deputies responded to a suicide call around 2 a.m. at a home on Saratoga Woods Lane in the Eagle Springs subdivision.

Authorities said six deputies arrived at the home, and Smith came out of the house with a shotgun and started shooting at deputies, who fired back. At least 3-4 deputies shot at him. The suspect was hit.

Gaines was shot in the lower half of his body multiple times. He was flown to Memorial Hermann Hospital Downtown, where he had surgery.
    Mark Herman, Harris County Constable Precinct 4
    @Pct4Constable
    UPDATE ON OFFICER INVOLVED SHOOTING!!

Constable Mark Herman and his staff are currently at Memorial Hermann Hospital. Our Constable Deputy is in stable condition and is expected to undergo surgery at any time.

Please keep our hero in your thoughts and prayers!!

4:59 AM - Apr 17, 2018
    A deputy wounded in a shootout Tuesday has been identified.
    Constable Herman gave an update at the hospital saying that Gaines is in a lot of pain.

He has several buckshots lodged in or near his bones, so doctors are trying to determine whether to remove the shots. Gaines will likely have a long road to recovery.

His family has been notified.

Officials say a second deputy, Deputy Faniyi, was hit in the head with what they believe to be a shot gun pellet. He was taken to a hospital in Humble where he received nine stitches to his head.

A third deputy received minor injuries while ducking for cover during the gunfight. He was evaluated and released from a Humble hospital. A fourth deputy took cover during the shooting and was treated for minor injuries as well.

"I am very humbled and honored to work with these heroes who bravely stood together and not only protected a fallen deputy, but also put down this suspect when he engaged them in a gun battle," Herman said.

Smith was also taken to Memorial Hermann where he was being treated in a room right next to Deputy Gaines.

"The suspect ironically is in the same room right beside him. The suspect was shot, I believe the nurse said 22 entry and exit wounds. He is still alive," said Herman.

Smith is being held on a $50,000 bond.
    I approve of the 22.
    I dont understand the $50k.

I never understand low bonds on murder/attempted murder/aggravated assault and the like. Prayers for a full recovery for Officer Gaines. Pull the plug on the POS in the room next to him.

Comment

Prayers for DC Gaines and the other officers involved. I know a few LE's in that area.
      My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
        I dont understand the $50k.

2 words...........

KIM OGG

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
          2 words...........

KIM OGG
          At least she's nice to look at.

Comment

How does a DA
            A) not charge a suspect who shot Law Enforcement officers with a shotgun with anything less than attempted murder?
            B) not ask for something more for bail than $5000.. (10% ..thats all hes gotta come up with...)

Comment

Originally posted by ACCURACYINC View Post
              At least she's nice to look at.

Ive always liked the lumberjack gals too

System, unfortunately as the law is written he is charged correctly. He caused seriously bodily injury (buckshot to the groin) = agg assault. For a murder case theyd have to prove he was trying to kill the officers. Now you and I both know that's garbage and may not agree but that's how it is. I mean why else do you shoot at someone with a 12ga?
              Last edited by Quackerbox; 04-18-2018, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Way to go on the 22 hits on the suspect. Can't believe that didn't "do" it though.

Comment

i am sure its a $500,000 bond which is too low itself....

II have spoke with Officer Gaines before when my son was riding his dirt bike on the ditch line....he was cool about it...

Get well soon Sir

Comment

hopefully with 22 holes in him he wont be able to reproduce. We don't need people like him

Comment

Originally posted by ACCURACYINC View Post
                      I never understand low bonds on murder/attempted murder/aggravated assault and the like. Prayers for a full recovery for Officer Gaines. Pull the plug on the POS in the room next to him.
                      amen!

Comment

Low BONDS???? If the suspect can't come up with $100 then what difference does it make if it's set at $1M? The bond amount does not reflect the value of life of the officers involved. It's based on suspect's ability to pay or make financial arrangements. Gotta remember there would be a bond company on the hook for that bond money for the duration of the trial. We used to have to provide bonds for our clients and that money came against our $1M note help by the courts,,, in laymen terms.

Comment

Bond amount seems low, but it sounds like the slimeball is in pretty bad shape. Not sure he'll be able to go anywhere anytime soon.

Get well soon, officers!

Comment

Prayers for the officer

Comment

Originally posted by HdFilmmaker View Post
                              Low BONDS???? If the suspect can't come up with $100 then what difference does it make if it's set at $1M? The bond amount does not reflect the value of life of the officers involved. It's based on suspect's ability to pay or make financial arrangements. Gotta remember there would be a bond company on the hook for that bond money for the duration of the trial. We used to have to provide bonds for our clients and that money came against our $1M note help by the courts,,, in laymen terms.
                              The guy just shot at 6 cops with a shotgun.. you think he gives a **** about his family members forkin over $5K to get a $50K bond paid through a bond company..much less the $50K the bond company will be out of if he skips..?

what common sense reason is there for allowing him to be free at any price when he shot at cops?

Comment

Working...
                              X