My Davy Crockett 9 pt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Davy Crockett 9 pt

I'm only 18 and been hunting the national forest for a couple years. I've had luck with my rifle but have been trying hard with my bow. Since my dad (Chew) got on a hog lease with not many deer, I knew I had to step up my game.

Me and a buddy did some scouting and found a great spot about a mile and half off the road in the DCNF. Lots of rubs and scrapes and a narrow firebreak where pines turn to oaks.

Sunday I walked in with my climber and my Strothers SX-1 bow and got set up about 20' up a tree. About 6:30 or so I had a doe come through. I was getting ready to try and get her to use my doe tag when i saw a buck coming in behind her. I drew back my bow and when he got in the right spot I gave him a loud "maaaaaaa". He stopped and I shot him with the Rage. I haven't practiced much from 20 foot up so the shot was high and back.

I waited a while and got down. No blood. I started getting disappointed and walked the way he ran. White belly in the creek bottom! I started yelling and jumping up and down like a 'tard. The shot looked bad but the rage took out a lung going in and did a bunch of damage.

I had to gut him there and then spend the next hour and half dragging him back to the road. I guess I need to get back to my fightin weight because it dang near killed me.

Not the biggest buck in the world but I'm proud of him and will be getting a skull mount.

Thanks for reading. I'll try to post pics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	joshbuck1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	24932099

Click image for larger version

Name:	joshbuck2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	24932100

Congrats. He is about the size of my only buck with a bow I got a couple of years ago.

Comment

Man that is Awesome! Congrats on your success!

Comment

Way to go

Comment

Good deer!!

Comment

Nice. Congrats

Comment

congrats on a good buck

Comment

Congrats Great Buck

Comment

Nice buck!

Comment

Way to go!!

Comment

Nice buck, congrats

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Chew crew domination. Congrats on a great buck and public land no less.

Comment

Nice!! Congrats!!

Comment

Congrats again Josh! Great job on the do-it-yourself hunt. That's hard hunting. May need you to guide me around the DCNF since I'll probably get skunked this year in east Tx!

Comment

Working...
                              X