Hogboy's Cotulla mosquito doe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hogboy's Cotulla mosquito doe

I headed down to Cotulla on Friday morning to hang out with Rsatt and shoot some critters. I knew it was going to be warm, so brought some lighter camo and the thermacell, Thank God. Ronnie had been down there since Tuesday and the only things on his shopping list, were another thermacell to replace his broken one and a 12 pack of Smurf juice. A few bags of corn and I'm rolling south.

We saw alot of game, Ronnie was hunting a nice 11 point he had on trailcam, and anything but a buck was on my list. Saturday night Ronnie dusted a big javi boar and I had about 20 pigs stream by the popup, by but no shot.
    Sunday morning would be the last hunt, and I hand corned, then climbed up in a tripod called Windmill #1. Sitting by one of the few water sources, the mosquitoes were eating me alive. I busted out the thermacell and settled in. I could see a few deer cruising by, but couldn't make them out in the dark. By 7:30 I had a couple of small bucks and 2 does, nervously eating my hand corn. After about 15 minutes of cat and mouse, I was able to get drawn on one of the does, and let it rip. They tore out of there and I noted the direction she headed as the arrow plopped out on the ground.

I climbed down to check the arrow, and didn’t find the good blood I was looking for. I started trailing the little blood I could find, until 50 yards out, when I found about 5 feet that looked like it was pouring out, then nothing again. I know my mature eyes are not that great, but I couldn’t even find another speck of red. Knowing the general direction she headed, I started checking the trails leading away and finally found a big pool of blood where she must have stopped and stood for a minute. The doe was piled up in the brush, not 10 yards from there. She made it about 150 yards from the stand. The autoposy showed the 100g Muzzy entered near the back rib and exited out her offside armpit. I couldn’t believe there wasn’t a better blood trail considering the drain hole I put in her.

I’ve never had the chance to hunt south Texas much, so it is a treat to go down there and see some of that country, and of course it’s always a pleasure to be in camp with Papa Smurf.

Thanks again Ronnie from the Hogboy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012 Cotulla doe tbh.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	24929182

Congrats!!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Good eatin' right there. Congratulations.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats hogboy!!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Congrats on the doe.

Comment

Way to go Leon, nice little write up sir!

Comment

Very nice. Congrats.

The mosquitoes are absolutely horrible down south right now.

Comment

Good Job

Comment

Good job Leon

Comment

Way to go Gary!!

DJ

Comment

Atta Boy Gary! Stack'n em up ain't ya!! Congrats buddy.

Comment

Congrats Gary!!!! A fine So Tx doe!!!!!! That area is quite beautiful!!!! Did you see any of the godzilla turkeys?

Comment

Working...
                              X