Random thought of the day.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random thought of the day.

Why do hiccups even exist? I've had them for the past 30 minutes and I'm sick and tired of it. I don't understand why hiccups are even a real thing. Do you just get hiccups so everyone in a quiet crowded room can sit and stare at you? Are they designed to make you think your heart stopped while you're driving and they come out of nowhere? I had a hiccup so violent I thought I was about to have a seizure. And it just keeps going....There's not a lot that annoys me. This is annoying.

That is all.

Dangit,, I hate that too.

Comment

Hold your breath. For 2 minutes and they will go away. Or you will pass out and they they will go away.

Comment

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
        Hold your breath. For 2 minutes and they will go away. Or you will pass out and they they will go away.
        I just tried. I got to about 15 seconds,hiccuped really aggressively and started laughing. I don't think I can do it.

Comment

Ain't there some kind of condition people can get where they hiccup all day,every day? I might have just dreamed that up but can you imagine? That's just awful to think about.

Comment

From my understanding there is no conclusion or evidence for a real Benifit to why we hiccup

Charles Osborne is the record holder for having the hiccups from 1922-1990 (68 years straight)

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
              From my understanding there is no conclusion to why we hiccup

Charles Osborne is the record holder for having the hiccups from 1922-1990 (68 years straight)
              That is just.....Well unbelievable first of all. But that's sad at the same time.

Nobody ever beat that record because they probably went nuts and jumped off a cliff or somethin within the first year.

Comment

Hiccups are annoying. I typically get them after I’ve had too much to drink lol. What works for me is taking a really deep breath, then holding it as long as I can. If I hiccup during the holding, I release and take another deep breath

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
                  Hiccups are annoying. I typically get them after I’ve had too much to drink lol. What works for me is taking a really deep breath, then holding it as long as I can. If I hiccup during the holding, I release and take another deep breath
                  Chewing tobacco is the culprit I believe this time. I really don't know what triggers mine but I'm blaming that.

Comment

Here ya go.... You asked!

"Hiccups are involuntary contractions of the diaphragm — the muscle that separates your chest from your abdomen and plays an important role in breathing. Each contraction is followed by a sudden closure of your vocal cords, which produces the characteristic "hic" sound.

Hiccups may result from a large meal, alcoholic or carbonated beverages or sudden excitement. In some cases, hiccups may be a sign of an underlying medical condition. For most people, a bout of hiccups usually lasts only a few minutes. Rarely, hiccups may persist for months. This can result in weight loss and exhaustion.

Symptoms

Hiccupping is a symptom. It may sometimes be accompanied by a slight tightening sensation in your chest, abdomen or throat.

When to see a doctor

Make an appointment to see your doctor if your hiccups last more than 48 hours or if they are so severe that they cause problems with eating, sleeping or breathing.

Causes

The most common triggers for hiccups that last less than 48 hours include:

Drinking carbonated beverages

Drinking too much alcohol

Eating too much

Excitement or emotional stress

Sudden temperature changes

Swallowing air with chewing gum or sucking on candy

Hiccups that last more than 48 hours may be caused by a variety of factors, which can be grouped into the following categories.

Nerve damage or irritation

A cause of long-term hiccups is damage to or irritation of the vagus nerves or phrenic nerves, which serve the diaphragm muscle. Factors that may cause damage or irritation to these nerves include:

A hair or something else in your ear touching your eardrum

A tumor, cyst or goiter in your neck

Gastroesophageal reflux

Sore throat or laryngitis

Central nervous system disorders

A tumor or infection in your central nervous system or damage to your central nervous system as a result of trauma can disrupt your body's normal control of the hiccup reflex. Examples include:

Encephalitis

Meningitis

Multiple sclerosis

Stroke

Traumatic brain injury

Tumors

Metabolic disorders and drugs

Long-term hiccups can be triggered by:

Alcoholism

Anesthesia

Barbiturates

Diabetes

Electrolyte imbalance

Kidney disease

Steroids

Tranquilizers

Risk factors

Men are much more likely to develop long-term hiccups than are women. Other factors that may increase your risk of hiccups include:

Mental or emotional issues.*Anxiety, stress and excitement have been associated with some cases of short-term and long-term hiccups.

Surgery.*Some people develop hiccups after undergoing general anesthesia or after procedures that involve abdominal organs.

Complications

Prolonged hiccups may interfere with:

Eating

Sleeping

Speech

Wound healing after surgery

Causes

Eating too much

Hiccups that last more than 48 hours may be caused by a variety of factors, which can be grouped into the following categories.

A cause of long-term hiccups is damage to or irritation of the vagus nerves or phrenic nerves, which serve the diaphragm muscle. Factors that may cause damage or irritation to these nerves include:

Gastroesophageal reflux

A tumor or infection in your central nervous system or damage to your central nervous system as a result of trauma can disrupt your body's normal control of the hiccup reflex. Examples include:

Encephalitis

Meningitis

Multiple sclerosis

Stroke

Traumatic brain injury

Tumors

Alcoholism

Anesthesia

Barbiturates

Diabetes

Electrolyte imbalance

Kidney disease

Steroids

Tranquilizers

Diagnosis

During the physical exam, your doctor may perform a neurological exam to check your:

Balance and coordination

Muscle strength and tone

Reflexes

Sight and sense of touch

If your doctor suspects an underlying medical condition may be causing your hiccups, he or she may recommend one or more of the following tests.

Laboratory tests

Samples of your blood may be checked for signs of:

Diabetes

Infection

Kidney disease

Imaging tests

These types of tests may be able to detect anatomical abnormalities that may be affecting the vagus nerve, phrenic nerve or diaphragm. Imaging tests may include:

Chest X-ray

Computerized tomography (CT)

Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)

Endoscopic tests

These procedures utilize a thin, flexible tube containing a tiny camera, which is passed down your throat to check for problems in your esophagus or windpipe.

Treatment

Most cases of hiccups go away on their own without medical treatment. If an underlying medical condition is causing your hiccups, treatment of that illness may eliminate the hiccups. The following treatments may be considered for hiccups that have lasted longer than two days.

Medications

Drugs that may be used to treat long-term hiccups include:

Baclofen

Chlorpromazine

Metoclopramide

Surgical and other procedures

If less invasive treatments aren't effective, your doctor may recommend an injection of an anesthetic to block your phrenic nerve to stop hiccups.

Another option is to surgically implant a battery-operated device to deliver mild electrical stimulation to your vagus nerve. This procedure is most commonly used to treat epilepsy, but it has also helped control persistent hiccups.

Lifestyle and home remedies

Although there's no certain way to stop hiccups, if you have a bout of hiccups that lasts longer than a few minutes, the following home remedies may provide relief, although they are unproven:

Breathe into a paper bag

Gargle with ice water

Hold your breath

Sip cold water

If you have chronic hiccups, lifestyle changes may help:

Avoid carbonated beverages and gas-producing foods

Eat smaller meals

Alternative medicine

When long-term hiccups don't respond to other remedies, alternative treatments, such as hypnosis and acupuncture, may be helpful."

Comment

Stick your thumb up your..... that will get rid of them.

Lmao just kidding

Comment

Originally posted by boh347 View Post
                        Stick your thumb up your..... that will get rid of them.

Lmao just kidding
                        Ahahahahahahahahahahahahabahahahahaha I think I'm just gonna wait it out.LOL

Comment

Originally posted by nursejenn View Post
                          Here ya go.... You asked!

"Hiccups are involuntary contractions of the diaphragm — the muscle that separates your chest from your abdomen and plays an important role in breathing. Each contraction is followed by a sudden closure of your vocal cords, which produces the characteristic "hic" sound.

Hiccups may result from a large meal, alcoholic or carbonated beverages or sudden excitement. In some cases, hiccups may be a sign of an underlying medical condition. For most people, a bout of hiccups usually lasts only a few minutes. Rarely, hiccups may persist for months. This can result in weight loss and exhaustion.

Symptoms

Hiccupping is a symptom. It may sometimes be accompanied by a slight tightening sensation in your chest, abdomen or throat.

When to see a doctor

Make an appointment to see your doctor if your hiccups last more than 48 hours or if they are so severe that they cause problems with eating, sleeping or breathing.

Causes

Eating too much

Gastroesophageal reflux

Encephalitis

Meningitis

Multiple sclerosis

Stroke

Traumatic brain injury

Tumors

Alcoholism

Anesthesia

Barbiturates

Diabetes

Electrolyte imbalance

Kidney disease

Steroids

Tranquilizers

Risk factors

Men are much more likely to develop long-term hiccups than are women. Other factors that may increase your risk of hiccups include:

Mental or emotional issues.*Anxiety, stress and excitement have been associated with some cases of short-term and long-term hiccups.

Surgery.*Some people develop hiccups after undergoing general anesthesia or after procedures that involve abdominal organs.

Complications

Prolonged hiccups may interfere with:

Eating

Sleeping

Speech

Wound healing after surgery

Causes

Eating too much

Gastroesophageal reflux

Encephalitis

Meningitis

Multiple sclerosis

Stroke

Traumatic brain injury

Tumors

Alcoholism

Anesthesia

Barbiturates

Diabetes

Electrolyte imbalance

Kidney disease

Steroids

Tranquilizers

Diagnosis

During the physical exam, your doctor may perform a neurological exam to check your:

Balance and coordination

Muscle strength and tone

Reflexes

Sight and sense of touch

If your doctor suspects an underlying medical condition may be causing your hiccups, he or she may recommend one or more of the following tests.

Laboratory tests

Samples of your blood may be checked for signs of:

Diabetes

Infection

Kidney disease

Imaging tests

These types of tests may be able to detect anatomical abnormalities that may be affecting the vagus nerve, phrenic nerve or diaphragm. Imaging tests may include:

Chest X-ray

Computerized tomography (CT)

Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)

Endoscopic tests

These procedures utilize a thin, flexible tube containing a tiny camera, which is passed down your throat to check for problems in your esophagus or windpipe.

Treatment

Most cases of hiccups go away on their own without medical treatment. If an underlying medical condition is causing your hiccups, treatment of that illness may eliminate the hiccups. The following treatments may be considered for hiccups that have lasted longer than two days.

Medications

Drugs that may be used to treat long-term hiccups include:

Baclofen

Chlorpromazine

Metoclopramide

Surgical and other procedures

If less invasive treatments aren't effective, your doctor may recommend an injection of an anesthetic to block your phrenic nerve to stop hiccups.

Another option is to surgically implant a battery-operated device to deliver mild electrical stimulation to your vagus nerve. This procedure is most commonly used to treat epilepsy, but it has also helped control persistent hiccups.

Lifestyle and home remedies

Although there's no certain way to stop hiccups, if you have a bout of hiccups that lasts longer than a few minutes, the following home remedies may provide relief, although they are unproven:

Breathe into a paper bag

Gargle with ice water

Hold your breath

Sip cold water

If you have chronic hiccups, lifestyle changes may help:

Avoid carbonated beverages and gas-producing foods

Eat smaller meals

Alternative medicine

When long-term hiccups don't respond to other remedies, alternative treatments, such as hypnosis and acupuncture, may be helpful."
                          I actually read all that. You learned me about hiccups. All of the things they say not to do to avoid hiccups are exactly things I love to do.lol Well not exactly. Carbonated drinks and eating a lot. Emotional or mental stress....Not so much.
                          Last edited by okrattler; 03-21-2018, 07:07 PM.

Comment

It may sound stupid but this method works. Say your ABC s. Out loud. Say them again faster. Then say them again even faster. Do this at least 4 times, each time getting faster. When you're done the hiccups will be gone. If not repeat the process but do it more times than you did before.

Comment

Rub an ice cube on your neck. Adams apple area, not back of neck.

Comment

Working...
                              X