Colorado bull down ! ( the story )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colorado bull down ! ( the story )

This morning I woke up at 5:00 Am . Made coffee & took my binos out on the back porch to glass the hay field. To my surprise there was two elk about 120 yards from the house. I hadn't seen any elk here for the last week with the full moon. So I watched & drank coffee till it got light enough to see if they were bulls or cows. I got my dad up because he has a cow elk private land tag good for September 1 - January 31. As it got light I could see antlers so my dad was bummed. They weren't the big 360" bull that I had seen the week before but they were bulls so I took off for the edge of the woods on the south west side of the field. When I got set up they both started to go the other way. Ranged them at a little over 850 yards. I cow called a few light calf calls with no response so used my " Imakadabullcrazy" one time & the little bull took off at a run straight to me. The bigger one kept going away. So I bugled & stopped him. Cow called again followed by a longer bugle & here he comes running wide open from almost 1000 yards. He went around the hill & up over the pond dam then jumped in & started pawing, splashing & hooking the mud , moss & cat tails up in the air! Put on a heck of a show. At this point he's 100 yards. He started walk toward me but angling away. Cow called soft now he's on a string . Hung up at 65 looking for that cow. I bugle , he answered me walks broad side to 22 yards, I draw as he passes some brush & softly said mew. Shot him with the old trusty Grim Reaper . Got a complete pass through. He ran about 40 yards before I called & stopped him. He stood there about 5 minutes then made a death run about 150 before he laid down. Probably my most successful call in so I was pumped it all worked out textbook. Good Lord has been good to me hunting & I give Him all the Praise & Glory !

I enjoyed the story, the calling him in part was awesome. Your post would get a 9.5 out of 10 if there had been pics.

Edit: Since you gave our Father the glory, I'll still give you a 9.5....just add pics later.

Comment

Sounds like one heck of a hunt. Big congrats on the bull. God definitely blessed you with a good one.

Comment

Pictures?? Congrats! That sounds exciting!

Comment

Awesome, felt like I was right there! Can't even begin to know how that feels. And giving all praise to our Holy God tops it off. Congrats on your bull and mostly on the experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Pictures were in the previous post. I'll have to add them with Tapatalk.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Brett C View Post
                Pictures were in the previous post. I'll have to add them with Tapatalk.
                Ok, searched your posts and saw the pics. Awesome story, amazing animal, gave thanks to God...and packed it out with a Kubota. I can now give the post an 11.

Comment

Bet that was awesome for your dad to watch

Comment

Originally posted by Shinesintx View Post
                    Ok, searched your posts and saw the pics. Awesome story, amazing animal, gave thanks to God...and packed it out with a Kubota. I can now give the post an 11.

Comment

Good story!

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by perow View Post
                        Bet that was awesome for your dad to watch
                        Yes sir ! He & my mom watched from the back porch with binos. They couldn't see me but could hear me calling & watched the elk react . Awesome morning for sure.

Comment

Awesome, Brett! That sounds like a FUN hunt. Congrats!!

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Heck of a hunt right there! Just awesome.

Comment

Working...
                              X