Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

where to get barn wood for picture frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where to get barn wood for picture frame?

Not sure where to look. My parents had an awesome map made for the wife and I for our wedding and I want to make a frame for her out of barn wood for it. We got married in the Stock Yards and the distressed wood would look great with the map. Hoping to be able to get some and have it made by July for when we get our first house as a gift to the ol lady.

Anyone know a good place to get wood or does anyone on here make them?

I mean i could prob make you one. It's pretty simple. I am not sure how big you want the wood on the frame to be but on all the frames I build its with the collection of old fence pickets I collect at random times. The 3/4" ones are gold and work the best.

Comment

I would try an old barn first.

Comment

Find some one tearing down a privacy fence or there is always craigslist.

Comment

Originally posted by Deathrow Jethro View Post
          I would try an old barn first.
          Good tip

Comment

There was some for sale here in the classifieds about a week ago.

Comment

Originally posted by ramrod View Post
              Find some one tearing down a privacy fence or there is always craigslist.
              I saved several sections of my old fence when we had it replaced, makes an excellent barn wood look.

Comment

If you are OK with using cedar fence pickets, try a local fence company. Some of them when they do a tear down will just stack the old stuff near their business where the public can come get it. It saves them from having to take it to the dump.

Comment

Not sure what you're looking for, but I've got a mess of it and you're welcome to a few pieces if you ever get North of 380 around Denton. Send me PM

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                    If you are OK with using cedar fence pickets, try a local fence company. Some of them when they do a tear down will just stack the old stuff near their business where the public can come get it. It saves them from having to take it to the dump.
                    X2 on the fence pickets. I've built a ton of stuff with them. All these bad storms have a tendency to blow or knock down wooden fences. I'm sure you could find someone with a busted up picket fence somewhere

Comment

How much do you need? Going to be tearing down a barn at the lease in the next few weeks.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. A couple pm's sent. Not looking for much. Just making a 21" x 19" frame

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                          Thanks for the replies. A couple pm's sent. Not looking for much. Just making a 21" x 19" frame
                          Hobby lobby and michaels will make them with glass for a reasonable price. I just happened to come across them one day and had them frame a wedding picture for me.

Comment

if you cant find old wood use new wood. 1st.Hit it with a hammer, drag nails on it scratch it up pretty good.2nd in a bucket add vinegar and steel wool let it set for a day 3rd add water 50/50 mix 4th. paint it on the wood 5th instant barn wood. the longer you let the mixture set the darker it gets. Google it make new wood look old

Comment

weathered cedar fence pickets make awesome frames. I've made dozens of them and never had a complaint.

Comment

Working...
                              X