• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cant post pics of big deer???????

Well those you posted arent exactly small

Nice deer

Rob

Comment

Doc always makes things right in the world!!!!
      Junco is just incredible!!! Ghost pics?

Comment

Well, I'm not saying those aren't big. They are plenty big to me and are in the range I hunt, but the B I G deer dwarf these.

Good thing this year is that we have almost all the up and comers on protein. I think we have 1 or 2 that are being hard headed, but by and large most are in good position to fight the drought with the supplemental feed. The black brush is blooming now and they'll hit those blooms HARD. We'll probably have a heavy mesquite bean crop if if continues dry during the mesquite bloom time. Mesquite will have it's highest protein level in the leaves when spring green happens. Later in the summer with the pear drawn up and maybe poor pear crop will be when the dry conditions come into major play. All the deer are in great shape right now, so it's looking good.

Comment

lotta gd pics ion there, gotta thin those coons out though huh

Comment

awesome pics and tutoral as usual Doc .... thx

your hunting life is never boring

Comment

Here's another buck that'll be in our range. He's wide, average mass and tines. Beams don't look all that long. He's trying to be a typical 12. This deer is one of those that we can't get on protein and it shows in his body. This is mid January and he looks like a 3 1/2 yo body wise. He'll be 6 1/2 next year. I like wide bucks, but I've killed two typical 12's and my brothers haven't killed one, so I'll defer to them on this one if either one o them likes him. He's a pretty easy deer to find according to my middle brother, so he may be one we don't care to hunt. He's a real corn head. He'll feed to within feet of the feed pen in his area, but won't get in. He looks hungry enough in these pics and maybe that'll be an incentive for him to get his lazy rear over the hog panel. I think he was mid 90's down and mid to upper 50's , including that kicker at the base, up getting him into low 50's this year. What do you think?

Click image for larger version

Name:	LJ away.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	23872675

Name:	LJ feeding.jpg
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	23872676

Name:	LJ late.jpg
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	23872677

Name:	LJ late 2.jpg
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	23872678

Comment

This is what I had to sit around and watch all morning. We were after exotic does and not a single one showed.
                Attached Files

Comment

Nice. I have a white fallow, but I want to get a chocolate and spotted to go with him some day,

Comment

I'm looking forward to seeing Ghosts LDP's.

Frying some crappie right now. Practicing for a fish fry at the Axis lease.

Comment

nice pics

Comment

James, did you get all your stuff done on the ranch or do you have to go back again?

Comment

AJ might be one of those deer that blows up into the high 70's as a 7 year old...

Comment

YEah, he could easily grow above my level. He was a super heavy 10 the year before. He LOVES protein. His 4's have been his weakness.

Name:	AJ at Caliche.jpg2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	23872687

Name:	AJ at Caliche.jpg3.jpg
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	23872688

Comment

Here's an example of a deer growing out of my range. I had this deer on my list for this past season. I found his sheds. His right side was busted up pretty badly, but the left side was in fairly good shape. Some beam broken. I had him at 153 to 156. Had never been much better than that but had double drops most seasons. He was 5 1/2 and it was the end of his first year on protein. Pencil horned but double drops would negate that for me

Last year

Name:	DP 1.jpg
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	23872690.

Name:	DP 3.JPG
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	23872691

Name:	DP 5.jpg
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	23872692

Name:	DP 6.jpg
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	23872693

Here he is this year. Second year on protein. BOOM! Blew up! Out of my range. He was shot while in velvet and scored just under 190 before deduction of velvet.

Name:	DP.jpg
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	23872694

Name:	DP2.jpg
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	23872695

Name:	DP3.jpg
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	23872696

Name:	DP4.jpg
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	23872697

You guys wondering about protein taking a long time and whether it's worth it or not, this deer and MLD a couple years ago are the kind of blow up that can happen quickly.

Comment

[quote=tuthdoc;1273589]Here's another buck that'll be in our range. He's wide, average mass and tines. Beams don't look all that long. He's trying to be a typical 12. This deer is one of those that we can't get on protein and it shows in his body. This is mid January and he looks like a 3 1/2 yo body wise. He'll be 6 1/2 next year. I like wide bucks, but I've killed two typical 12's and my brothers haven't killed one, so I'll defer to them on this one if either one o them likes him. He's a pretty easy deer to find according to my middle brother, so he may be one we don't care to hunt. He's a real corn head. He'll feed to within feet of the feed pen in his area, but won't get in. He looks hungry enough in these pics and maybe that'll be an incentive for him to get his lazy rear over the hog panel. I think he was mid 90's down and mid to upper 50's , including that kicker at the base, up getting him into low 50's this year. What do you think?/quote]

Just by my guess from the pic...I have him around 149ish. With that kind of frame I'm having a hard time with his tine length. So, I may be short changing him. LOl. He is definitely a cool looking deer.

Comment

Working...
                                X