Going on an Elk Hunt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going on an Elk Hunt!

It has been 14 years waiting to draw this tag. I will be hunting the second rifle season in Unit 76 around Creede, Colorado. This is a draw only "Trophy" unit. My Granddad was fortunate to get drawn twice in 8 years before this unit became popular about 14 years ago being his last hunt. His first hunt he killed an awesome 6x6 and his next hunt he killed a nice 4x4. He is going to be my "guide" on this hunt. The gun I am using is the same gun he used to kill his two elk. He gave it to me as a Christmas gift several years after his last elk hunt. So to say this is a special trip is an understatement. We leave for Colorado early the morning of the 18th. The season runs October 21st - 29th. I have started to gather my gear; Granddad and I sighted in the .30-06 this past weekend, and I am headed to Mason this weekend to get the 4wheeler. With this cold front coming in I almost walked out the door with my camo on and rifle in my hand going to look for elk. I will update as often as I can and wish every one hunting this season Great Luck!

Good luck

Comment

Congrats sounds like it is going to be a heck of a trip!

Comment

It's a magical time there right now. Best of luck.

Comment

sounds like a most memorable hunt in the making!!! best wishes too.

Comment

I used to go up there every summer for several years when I was younger. I am really looking forward to getting back up there! Does any one know if the brookies are still biting this time of year?

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Should be an awesome experience with your grandfather! Good luck!
                My Flickr Photos

Comment

Hunt of a lifetime right there! Good luck

Comment

Very cool! Post lots of pics!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

I am working today and then I am scheduled off until the 30th. I will pack and load everything tomorrow and hit the road early Wednesday morning. Looking to get some scouting in Thursday and Friday before season starts on Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This was earlier today it is now all in the truck. As soon as I get my little girl to bed I will be loading up the frozen goods and heading over to my granddads house to load it in his truck so we can head out first thing in the morning bright and early! I am full of anticipation and torn about being away from my little family. I know it will be an awesome trip but I can't help but be anxious about leaving them alone for almost two weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by PapaBear View Post
                          It has been 14 years waiting to draw this tag. I will be hunting the second rifle season in Unit 76 around Creede, Colorado. This is a draw only "Trophy" unit. My Granddad was fortunate to get drawn twice in 8 years before this unit became popular about 14 years ago being his last hunt. His first hunt he killed an awesome 6x6 and his next hunt he killed a nice 4x4. He is going to be my "guide" on this hunt. The gun I am using is the same gun he used to kill his two elk. He gave it to me as a Christmas gift several years after his last elk hunt. So to say this is a special trip is an understatement. We leave for Colorado early the morning of the 18th. The season runs October 21st - 29th. I have started to gather my gear; Granddad and I sighted in the .30-06 this past weekend, and I am headed to Mason this weekend to get the 4wheeler. With this cold front coming in I almost walked out the door with my camo on and rifle in my hand going to look for elk. I will update as often as I can and wish every one hunting this season Great Luck!

Might be a dumb question but does it cost money to enter the drawing each year or do you only pay when actually drawn?

Comment

Good luck to ya!

Comment

Originally posted by Biggs View Post
                              Might be a dumb question but does it cost money to enter the drawing each year or do you only pay when actually drawn?

You have to pay but if you are unsuccessful you get a refund for the cost of the license minus the habitat stamp and processing fee

Comment

Working...
                              X