Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jkelbe View Post
    I did it last year.

Show up, quick speech, long time picking units as no one knows what they want. Then go hunt. All of the gates will be unlocked so you can take your ATV. I had one guy walk past my stand at 10am on Sunday. Tried to get his attention, but he was to far away, eventually was able to yell and get his attention on his way out at 3pm. Called the warden but nothing happened. The WMA office drove around and put flyers up on cars that were parked at the WMA but were not part of the hunt.

They let you use 1 bag of corn. They want to ensure it's gone by the time the hunt is over. Their idea is that you scatter along a long open lane and it will make the deer stop just long enough for a shot.

They say there is a lot of deer, but I think only 1 doe was shot on our hunt in November. The deer seemed to shift patterns the week before, so it took me sometime to relocate them. Wish I would have had a gun the next weekend.
    I know it won't be shooting fish in a barrel, but I think I'm familiar enough with the place that if I can get one of my choices on compartments, we will have a decent chance of killing something. Also, depending on weather.

Just looking to put some meat in the freezer. Hopefully I'll have one in the freezer with my bow by then anyway.

Comment

Thank You! I still can't find the deers harvested by walk-in hunters.

Comment

Originally posted by ToddDaRealMcCoy View Post
        Thank You! I still can't find the deers harvested by walk-in hunters.
        Not posted. You can call the WMA HQ and ask if they will share that info.

Comment

Will share...

I’ll call and see. If they give me numbers, I’ll post them here.

Comment

Went out there today.... Dry, dry and more dry.... Got into a fight with a cottonmouth... He lost... [emoji58]

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HR3 View Post
              Went out there today.... Dry, dry and more dry.... Got into a fight with a cottonmouth... He lost... [emoji58]

did you stab him with a broadhead?

Comment

Originally posted by kdm015 View Post
                did you stab him with a broadhead?
                I walk with what I call a snake stick.... Stiffs, hardest stick I can find... Done killed a bunch of snakes with them [emoji1787][emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

First sit of the year. Nice and cool this morning.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Comment

2 does came in, bedded down behind some brush 30 yards to my left. The waiting game begins.

Comment

Anybody else out here this evening? I'm hoping the front coming in tonight might get them up and moving. A little warm but should be perfect after about 5pm.

Comment

Anybody been hunting besides me? I'm in stand this evening. Bumped a doe and 2 yearlings walking in. Nice and cool this evening.

Comment

how has it been going guys? may go in the morning
                          Last edited by HR3; 12-25-2022, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. Bowhunting my stand was mostly a bust. Seeing a few deer out of range moving through, but not what I used to see.

I hunted the 2nd draw for this area and was lucky enough to get to pick the area that I normally bowhunt. Didn't see anything the first day. Second day I had a doe sneek in on my right side (it was windy). What I didn't see were the 3 that had already snuck in behind me and they spooked when I tried to raise my rifle for a shot. Should have killed one of those. The last day I killed a doe about 8:30 that came to my corn spread. She had a 11" wide 7pt with her. He could be nice in a couple of years.

The doe I killed was aged at about 4-5 years at the check-in. There were 5 deer killed during that hunt (should have been one more for me). Didn't get to hunt the rest of the season because of family/holiday stuff. I got meat in the freezer so I'm good with it.

Comment

Working...
                            X