Elk Outfitter Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elk Outfitter Suggestions?

I am looking at booking an elk hunt for next year for me and another guy. Any outfitters yall hunted with and recommend? I only want to hunt private land, have wasted more than my fair share of time on over-hunted BLM. I care more about the experience than anything, I really want a fun exciting hunt and we are in great shape so we are willing to put in the work.

We had great success last October in Wyoming with a guide from Dallas who hunts in this camp...saw lots of bull elk

Comment

Originally posted by 32drawlength View Post
      We had great success last October in Wyoming with a guide from Dallas who hunts in this camp...saw lots of bull elk

https://www.bearbasinadventures.com

That looks awesome. What size bull did you kill? Is the riding tough? I dont think the guy going with me has much experience.

Comment

The until we hunted requires special tags so there’s typically big bulls in the area, 6x6 for my buddy.
        The horses are easy going, they pack everything or you & our guide met with us a few times last summer near Grapevine lake to get in some practice rides.

Comment

In Wyoming, you are gonna have to draw a tag.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
            In Wyoming, you are gonna have to draw a tag.
            It looked like they had some private land. Does that need a draw tag?

Comment

Originally posted by 32drawlength View Post
              The until we hunted requires special tags so there’s typically big bulls in the area, 6x6 for my buddy.
              The horses are easy going, they pack everything or you & our guide met with us a few times last summer near Grapevine lake to get in some practice rides.
              How hard are they to draw? Did y'all get them first time? Thanks.

Comment

IF you want AZ I can help you My next door neighbor is a guide when I lived there pack horses base camp etc . We hunted together as well One heck of a guide . No idea on cost and its a draw in AZ most every thing is HA HA

Comment

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
                  IF you want AZ I can help you My next door neighbor is a guide when I lived there pack horses base camp etc . We hunted together as well One heck of a guide . No idea on cost and its a draw in AZ most every thing is HA HA
                  I know most public land hunts are by draw. This and the fact public is way over hunted is why I only wanted to hunt private. On private you can by OTC in some states or you have to buy a landowner tag from the landowner and that can get expensive.

Comment

We hunted with Mangas Outfitters in New Mexico a few years back. They have private land and hunt public so you can choose either. We were pretty impressed with the hunting 3 of our 6 killed and all were with bows.

Comment

I believe NM is the only state where a non-resident can legally purchase a landowner tag. There may be another state but I don't think so. I know in some other states the landowners receive tags, but they can't be legally sold. They have to be used by the landowner or their family.

Comment

Many 300-400 class elk are taken off public lands every season. It can be difficult. Do you have a budget in mind?

Comment

Every tag in Wyoming is a draw and some of the biggest bulls here come off of public lands not private.
                          Colorado has landowner vouchers and some RFW ranches sell hunts for good bulls but are pricey.

Comment

I agree the amount of public in AZ is impressive and its not over hunted , not unless you are just barley walking in . If you get on horse back and get back a 8-10 miles you will not see any one

AZ is like 40+ % public something like 320,000 + to hunt

where as TX is like 1% . I lived there for 10 + years if you are willing to hike in then you will be in great elk county

Comment

There are plenty of public land giants killed every year if that's what you're looking for. If you care "more about the experience than anything" then just do some research and find a pocket of public land that isn't over hunted and have backup plans and don't worry about giants until one walks in front of you.

Comment

Working...
                              X