Left Eye Dominant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Left Eye Dominant

I am wanting to get my very small 7-year old grandson a bow for Christmas. He is right handed doing every thing except he is clearly left eye dominant. I want to get him started on the right foot, just not sure if I should get him a left hand bow or a right hand bow. Are there any tricks to coaching him to shoot?

My kid was the very same setup and I went with a shooting instructors advice and set up everything to the dominant left eye. He's now 20 and shoots guns and bow left handed very well. I'd go to the dominant eye everytime.

Good luck.

Comment

Right hand bow and put patch on left eye EVERY time he shoots gun or bow. Won't take long and he will be good to go. My son was the same way and fixed him up right away. Good time of year to find patch at store, Halloween.

I would never try and change him to be right handed, would only change eye dominence.
      Last edited by red-fin; 10-16-2017, 05:07 PM.

Comment

My sister's the same way. 34 now and writes right but shoots everything left.

My son 6 is the same. I tried an eye patch and it works so far.

Comment

Pirate patch

Comment

I started out shooting right handed for about a 1 1/2 years. Fought the left eye dominate thing for all that time . I'd shoot great on some shots then have one way off. Finally I gave in & switched to left . Consistency went way up ! I also think having my stronger right arm to hold the bow up has given me an advantage. I'd let him shoot both ways for a while see what he does. Hopefully you have a good bow shop that'll let him try both for several times before you buy one. Lefty equipment is harder to get sometimes depending on your shop. Good luck with him & if you need any help pm me.

Comment

I’m right handed and left eye dominate, I can shoot everything well except a shot gun.

Comment

So let him shoot left handed. He will be holding his bow with his “strong” arm and should be very steady once he learns how to properly draw his bow

Comment

Go with the dominant eye. Teach him to shoot with both eyes open. It will help with all shooting disciplines. But eye dominance does have a tendency to change in kids.

Comment

Dominate eye always - I don’t care how much you train or adjust: that’s what was intended... I speak from experience. Left eye dominant but right handed (had some great experiences dealing with that in the military)

Comment

I'm the same way as is my son. Never shot anything but Lh. Only downside is selection and availability of bows is slim

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
                        I’m right handed and left eye dominate, I can shoot everything well except a shot gun.

Same here. If bird flys right to left with both eyes open I crush them, because I automatically lead the target with left eye shooting right handed.

With a compound I shoot right handed and close left eye. Same with scoped rifle.

To original question, my daughter is right handed, left eye dominant. We got her a left handed compound and she loves it. She did not have to unlearn shooting right handed.

BTW when my son was learning to play t ball, he asked which side do I stand? I told him the first base side and hit lefty. He played ball throwing righty and batting lefty through high school. 2 steps closer to first base than batting right handed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm the same way. I do everything right handed except shoot a gun. Shoot my bow right handed

Comment

Go left handed on the bow and guns. I fought it for years not knowing any better andcan shoot either handed with bow, rifle , handgun, shotgun, slingshot... But it has taken lots of work to get that way and while my left eye is dominate it is not as strongly dominate as a lot of people I work with. Worked with a 6 year old yesterday and he shot the left handed much better than the right. Set up 2 identical bows 210 inches and 12lbs for him and spent about 30 minutes on the range with him, bno doubt he was shooting the LH bow much better as I expected he would. Now a Left handed bow is on his Santa wish list.

If a person is very strongly cross side eye dominate to the point they cannot close the dominate eye independently they will never shoot a strong hand bow well. If the eye dominance is not as strong they might shoot ok from the non dominate eye but will usually still shoot better from the dominate eye.

Diamond Infinite Edge Pro bow is available in LH or Rh and only weighs .2 lbs I think. If a kid can hold hat up at arms length the bow can be set to fit them.
                            In the last 4 days I have set up 5 left hand bows and only one person of the 5 was left handed. Those 4 each shot at least one bow with each hand and bought the lefty after seeing how much easier it was to group shots using their dominate eye.

Believe it or not Cabela's keeps a pretty good selection of Diamond, Bear and PSE bows for lefties in stock in the stores.

Comment

Since he is just starting out I would have him start left handed. Switching from right to left is not easy. I tried it and gave up after 3 months.

Comment

Working...
                              X