Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THOUGHTS ON **HUNTING APPS** Experiences? Barometric Pressure/Moon Phases Etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recently downloaded the Drury DeerCast and have used several in the past years. How many of you believe in deer movement is aligned with the weather conditions/barometric pressure/moon etc. Have you experienced this to be correct or incorrect? I will chime in later on this topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't care. I just hunt when I want to hunt. But I'd wager they do not work...at all.

Comment

I know a lot of people swear by it but in my personal experiences, it’s never been accurate. At the peak hunting times, I would get skunked. The days/times that predicted no movement, I would be covered up.

Comment

When I had a lease up in OK the one i had was pretty accurate and then when we moved to Olney it was all over the place

Comment

I've seen deer when the moon phase said I was suppose to. Does that mean it worked? I don't know. I do think there is something to it. I have witnessed more deer activity during what should be peak hours. Could just be a coincidence though. I don't base my hunts around it. I hunt every chance I get. I don't think any of us will be staying home opening weekend if the moon or barometric pressure isn't favorable

Comment

I've seen lots of deer moving at night during full moons, and had them in hiding when the weather was real bad. Beyond those major ends of the scale, I think deer move whenever they feel like. Hunger and survival are a much better motivator than minor weather changes.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
              I don't care. I just hunt when I want to hunt. But I'd wager they do not work...at all.
              My thoughts exactly. I have tried the moon phase hunting aspect and where I hunt, it ain't worth a flip!

Comment

Haven't noticed anything with the moon but I have noticed that deer are up and moving during the day more in my area before a significant front, barometric pressure change, is moving in. I do always try and hunt before and after the fronts that pass through.

Comment

Chance of killing something while you’re hunting - major

Chance of killing something while you’re not hunting - minor

Comment

Originally posted by nimrodajh View Post
                    Chance of killing something while you’re hunting - major

Chance of killing something while you’re not hunting - minor
                    you sir...are on to something here.

Comment

Yes, weather and moon play a factor. Deer are always moving, but if a front is moving in, they generally go one direction, if it's going to be nice, they move another. Read the weather, go where they are going to go. As far as the moon, its how much light is it actually producing. So a full moon, seen only during the day, means it will still be really dark at night, and deer come out earlier. A full moon, but at night, means deer will come out later, when it's finally dark enough.

Comment

Originally posted by 4dog View Post
                        you sir...are on to something here.

Love it! My thoughts exactly

Comment

Here are my two cents. I know fish are very sensitive to this and this applies well to them. You can fish a stock pond that you know are full of bass and get skunked if the conditions are wrong and in turn catch them on a hook and gum wrapper when they are. My grandfather once told me to watch the cows during high/low pressures and look for them laying down or actively feeding. He also says the cows will be needed or feeding farthest point from incoming front. He states this is true with deer behavior as well to some extent. When the cows or deer get hungry they will eat however as far as more or less can be influenced by conditions. My conclusion is that the weather apps work however they are defiantly not tale all! As one of you said it best. “Chances of shooting a deer in the stand (Major) Chances if shooting one when not hunting (minor)! My buddy logs deer sightings and compares to the charts and they are 85% accurate it seems. Now as far as the conditions kicking off of the rut RUT that’s a whole another chapter. PS I believe that the weather or moon phases have very to do with when a deer/cow/dog/human come into cycle. I believe this is done based off of timing of birth cycle and area. My experience is the RUT happens same time same place year after year (give or take few days).

Last edited by ghost; 09-21-2018, 07:55 AM.

Comment

I think animals are much more attuned to our environment/conditions than we are. They respond to fronts moving in, etc. (heck - even my collar bone that was broken 40 years ago responds to that!).
                            However, there are lots of other stimuli that impact them and keep the solunar tables, etc. from always correctly predicting movement - feeders, for example.
                            Also, animals need to feed, sleep, water, etc. at particular intervals. If something interferes with that, their schedule gets off. For example, a deer is going to browse in a field and cows come in and cause the deer to stand and wait in the brush for a long time. The deer's feeding schedule has been impacted and he must feed even if the tables say it is a bad time.
                            The tables are a tool to use and be considered. But I hunt when I can even if the tables say it isn't the best weekend for it.

Comment

I think it’s all a bunch of crap for the most part. Had a buddy stumble on the solunar tables and ending up shooting a nice buck the exact minute the tables showed as a major the first time out. He is convinced its is the gospel even though that was 10yr ago. He never had an answer when I ask him if the chart would have still been magic if he had not of forgotten his harness and had to hunt a stand on the other side of the property that morning. Wouldn’t have seen the deer where he was suppose to hunt.

Comment

Working...
                              X