Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for the hog hunters

I want to know is why I'm asking.

How do you all go about finding where you bullets hit the pig?

I shot a/at a pig 4 times tonight with my AR10 .308. Using the Remington 150 grn core lokt i sighteed the rifle in with.
    First shot was 105 yds
    Last 85 yds per huntstand app

1st shot to the shoulder.
    Bam he drops and flops.
    I watch him dance. He gets back up and does the drunken sailor going to my left. Plowing with his face. He gets up

2nd shot to the body.
    He drops and plows with his face.
    I watch him dance.
    He gets back up tries to run to my right He's got wobbly legs and can't keep his balance.
    He goes down again. I watch him dance. He gets back up still doing the drunken sailor.
    He gets up run back towards my left.

3rd shot to the head
    Possible miss.
    He was stumbling all over the place. He was up when i pulled the trigger, i watched him go down again. Not sure if he went down cause I shot him, or if he was on his way down.
    I watch him dance some more.
    He gets up and runs in my direction right at me.
    I was thinking of Jason's hot charge video by this time.

4th shot to the head.
    He stays down. I watch him twitch for a couple of minutes, or so. I walk up on him and his legs are still moving. I kick him 3x and get no response. Legs are still trembling. I shine my white light i use for blood tracking in his eyes. They're cloudy. He is still jerking evrry now and then.

I looked and could only find 2 shots on him.

Right Check
    Left neck.
    The left neck looks like it could have been my 1st shot. It looks like it could be a solid graze of my first shot it the exit of the cheek.

My bullets leave a big X

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
      My bullets leave a big X
      Yup

Comment

Bone breakage. Usually see a big ole hole on the side too.

Comment

Look for the place that they dieded from.

Comment

Should have had a 6.5 CR!

JK. I have seen them do strange things even with .270!and .30-06.
            But just shoulder shoot them with a .308 and they will be dead close by
            BTW. I use fed fusions and not coreloks.

Comment

Hit a big ol sow with a 325 grain 45-70 in her side at a little under 100 yards. She was moving around a lot while chasing other hogs away from the corn. It was getting dark and so I couldn’t wait any longer to get a better shot while hiding behind a round bale of hay. She ran and disappeared from view. Went and searched some but couldn’t find her or a blood trail. Thought I somehow missed her. Really began to doubt my shooting ability. But early that week I found her laying in tall weeds nearby. The other bales of hay and it turning dark had obscured my view of her as she ran.

I was a good 500+ yards away working when the sound of the hogs fighting became noticeable. They were up a hill obscured by tall weeds that I hadn’t had time to mow down yet. That was actually a good thing since they couldn’t see me approaching the creek that I had to cross in order to get up the hill where they were at. And the fact I had purposely left one row of round bales untouched out in the middle of the meadow and several more scattered out to block their view of anyone coming through the gate opening.
              Last edited by Worksalot; 09-08-2018, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Cheek shot

Exit or solid graze

Comment

I'm guessing that big hole in his neck is from the bullet that went in his face. I can usually tell from the sound if I hit something or not if the recoil of whatever I'm shooting prevents me from seeing the hit in the scope. Hogs are solid son of a guns. If you hit meat you can hear it pop.

Comment

Don't think I've ever shot a hog with a gun I didn't earhole.

Hogs get shot in the face. Makes it easy.

Comment

Question for the hog hunters

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                      Don't think I've ever shot a hog with a gun I didn't earhole.

Hogs get shot in the face. Makes it easy.

I’ve shot two large hogs with shoulder shots and didn’t like the results. One was with a 7 mag and it ran off 40 yards and buried into some thick brush with no blood trail. The other was with a .308 and I had a good blood trail but it crossed a property line after trailing 400 yards.

All my shots now are to the head.

22/250 in the ear hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

How was he positioned to youon the first shot? I don’t see a shoulder shot. Can’t see the other side for course.

Comment

Do yourself a favor and make the first shot an ear shot. I have never had one get up.

Comment

Sounds and looks like you missed and your gun is off.
                            If you want'em dead, pop'em in the head!!!

Comment

Shoot them right in the ear hole never track another one. Have confidence in your shooting.

Comment

Working...
                              X