Did I make a mistake with GR Whitetail Special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I make a mistake with GR Whitetail Special

Fairly new to bowhunting. Last season was my first year and yet to take a deer. Last year not knowing any better I bought the Grim Reaper 2" Whitetail Special. Had seen lots of good reviews on Grim Reaper and my son used the 1 3/8 and it did well so when I was at Bass Pro and saw the 2" I thought bigger is better. Now that I am learning a little more I am beginning to question if this is too big for my bow. I found in the faq on GR website that they recommend 65 foot pounds of kinetic energy. I have a Mission Riot set for 60lb and 27" draw. Measured speed yesterday and weighed arrow and it looks like my KE is around 48. Last thing I want to have happen is have my first shot at a deer not be able to do the job. I don't want the joy of first shot at a deer turn into misery and more important don't want to do that to a deer. Any thoughts or experience with the 2" Whitetail Special on lower energy bow setups. I have no doubt that it is a good broadhead but hope someone has experience good or bad to share so I can decide if I should change. I have taken the blades off and sharpened with my Lansky to get them razor sharp.

I would take GR suggestion seriously.
    I shoot 68 lbs of K.E., and the largest mechanical I shoot is 1 1/2 inch cut, and it is a rearward opening blade mechanical.
    I shoot the GR Hog Head, which is 1 1/4", and cheaper that the WS.

Comment

I think the GR Hog Head would be a better option for your set up!

Comment

I just want to say whole heartedly. I feel sorry for the people with draw lengths under 28" or so. It would be nice if there was a way tk maintain KE and momentum better. Unfortunately it doesnt really go along with short draw lengths.

Comment

Mjjust you look like a big tall fellow in your avatar pic.How in the world are you a 27" draw!

Comment

What is your speed and what does your arrow weigh?

Comment

Speed about 240 and weight 375

I'm only 5'10. I had it set for 28" when I started and was all over the place. Half my shots would go way left. Happened in stand at a doe last year and missed left. Set it to 27" and now have pretty tight groupings and feel confident with my accuracy. It made a huge difference in accuracy and speed means nothing if I can't hit the target. I've thought about experiment changing hold or stance or something to lengthen draw but not in the middle of season. Nice thing about the Riot is I can adjust it myself.

Comment

With your set up I would be shooting a nice fixed blad like a Slick Trick Magnum. I'm not a huge fan of mechanicals but I'm not one of these that thinks it's a sin either. I just simply wouldn't shoot any mechanical with your set up.

Comment

I was thinking about getting some too. 29" draw PSE bow madness 3G 70# 29" arrow arrow weight is 275.5 I shoot the beman NFC bone collector 29" 340. Not sure what my kinetic energy is?

Comment

Originally posted by Mjjust View Post
                    Speed about 240 and weight 375

I'm only 5'10. I had it set for 28" when I started and was all over the place. Half my shots would go way left. Happened in stand at a doe last year and missed left. Set it to 27" and now have pretty tight groupings and feel confident with my accuracy. It made a huge difference in accuracy and speed means nothing if I can't hit the target. I've thought about experiment changing hold or stance or something to lengthen draw but not in the middle of season. Nice thing about the Riot is I can adjust it myself.
                    You would be well served to switch to a coc broad head like a Viper Trick or a Stinger. I wouldnt rule out a Ramcat either. But I would not be shooting a mech.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                      You would be well served to switch to a coc broad head like a Viper Trick or a Stinger. I wouldnt rule out a Ramcat either. But I would not be shooting a mech.
                      X2! I think this would better!I'm a fan of the Magnus Stinger and the Viper tricks! I think sooner or later a mechanical would leave you in anguish!I have real close to the same set-up 63# 28"draw and I have complete confidence in my 100gr Stingers!

Comment

Working...
                      X