Africa or Alaska??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Africa or Alaska??

I’m getting to a point in life where I’ve worked hard and have the resources and I want to do a big time hunt. I love to fish too so that factors into my decision as well. I want to bow hunt. The Africa thought is lots of animals and lots of opportunities while sitting over a water hole or something similar, which I am ok with, I like shooting stuff. The other is Alaska which I’ve always dreamed of but I’d think it is a one animal deal like a moose or grizzly and maybe combine a fishing option in there. Has anyone done both and have a preference either way and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Truly apples and oranges....or at least red apples versus green apples. Where in Africa? Truly different based on where..... RSA or the Selous?
    Grizzly/Brown Bear/moose versus caribou/black bear/fishing. The scenarios and prices are vastly different within each eco system.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Spend 10 days in Africa and you won't regret it. Lots of action and you will have a wall full of great trophies.

Comment

Bigger bang for your buck in Africa, and a much bigger choice of animals. That being said, most of the hunting in Africa is from blinds and is less physical. You could do the more physical Alaskan hunt now and save Africa for later in life when your physical abilities are less.

Comment

Africa or Alaska??

I’ve been to Africa 4 times, and I’d probably go back a 5th time before going on a one critter hunt in Alaska.

Now, if it was just a sightseeing/vacation trip, then I’d go to Alaska and take a side trip to catch a few of those giant flounders!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          Last edited by Bisch; 06-23-2019, 03:57 PM.

Comment

When I was a kid, I dreamed of hunting Africa. But, with all of the high fences and commercialization, it seems to have lost its 'wildness' and appeal for me. Been to Alaska a few time now, and would much rather hunt there. Given the desire to fish, I'd look hard at Alaska.

Comment

Africa hands down! You can also have some great fishing in Africa too!

Nothing in the world compares to Africa for the sheer number of animals and species and basically the cost.

Lots of people have been to Africa on here with some great PH's. If you want info on one, let me know, I can send you a brochure.

Comment

Went to Alaska and hunted caribou on the north slope in 2016. It was a hard, demanding hunt and I came up empty handed without firing a shot. With that in mind, I would do it over and over again, it was that awesome. Fishing along the rivers we camped on was also great.

Headed to South Africa a year from now. Looking forward to it for the sheer number of species available and abundance of game.

I agree with above, its really an apples to oranges comparison. Good luck with your decision. I have a feeling you'll enjoy either one!

Comment

Africa is big!! I’m not a fan of leave the USA’ ! What a decision you have. I just did the same, Boat one out ...

Comment

No brainer, you did say (always dreamed of) not sure if you ever been to Alaska but it's something to see.

Comment

Screw shooting African animals over feeders

Go to Alaska

Comment

Originally posted by Bassdeer View Post
                        No brainer, you did say (always dreamed of) not sure if you ever been to Alaska but it's something to see.
                        I did a 14 day moose and caribou and fishing trip with my now dead uncle
                        It was a blast, the experience and time we spent together was irreplaceable
                        While we both didn’t get a moose, we did get in some quality time, killing 4 caribou, lots of great fishing and some ptarmigan hunting.
                        My college roommate has been to Africa a couple of times and he says that his most favorite hunt was a leopard and buffalo the rest of his African stuff he has in storage
                        My time in north Africa was not spent hunting any animals and I doubt that I would go to Africa unless it was free
                        Argentina , or New Zealand yes

Comment

I’m not the norm. I could care less about the animals, but live for the experience. Alaska would be an easy choice for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                            Bigger bang for your buck in Africa, and a much bigger choice of animals. That being said, most of the hunting in Africa is from blinds and is less physical. You could do the more physical Alaskan hunt now and save Africa for later in life when your physical abilities are less.
                            I have been to Africa three times and they only time I ever hunted in a
                            Blind was for Leopard. Everything else was spot and stalk.

Comment

Africa or Alaska??

I’m no expert. I’ve only been to Africa twice and Alaska twice. But, Africa definitely has the numbers. No doubt about it. You WILL come back with a full bag. IMO Africa was less adventure than Alaska. Alaska is often a more expedition type hunt. Very few roads. Bush flights, tents, boats. It’s a LOT more expensive, usually chasing 1 animal, no fences. Good chance of coming home empty handed. But man, Alaska blew my mind. The sheer wildness/ruggedness of it. I felt like in Africa I was just putting animals down and checking them off the list. Still had an incredible time, but like Oscar said, apples to oranges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by Rcole1310; 06-23-2019, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X