Learning Curve to Bowhunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning Curve to Bowhunt

Hi, I've wanted to pickup bow hunting the last couple years now and am finally getting a bow this Christmas to start learning how to shoot. I had two questions:

1. Does anybody have any recommendations for a good instructor in the Houston area?

2. My goal is to go on a backcountry NM elk hunt next September/October. Is it realistic to become good enough with a bow in the time period if I take shooting lessons and practice?

Thanks!

Go see Joey at Texas Archery. Welcome to bow hunting.

Yes if you shoot often and correctly, you will be ready. I would suggest hunting other animals first and get some kills under your belt. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Dlion0721 View Post
      Hi, I've wanted to pickup bow hunting the last couple years now and am finally getting a bow this Christmas to start learning how to shoot. I had two questions:

1. Does anybody have any recommendations for a good instructor in the Houston area?

2. My goal is to go on a backcountry NM elk hunt next September/October. Is it realistic to become good enough with a bow in the time period if I take shooting lessons and practice?

Thanks!
      Although I have never hunted elk, from what I've heard (friends killing them) rut elk is possibly the "easiest" archery hunt (provided that you draw a good area - AZ is almost a slam dunk), but good luck drawing the tag. If I drew that tag, I'd hire an outfitter 100% for sure. I'd also want to have a couple of years experience before taking the chance of making a bad shot on a bull.

Comment

Practice practice practice, but makes sure you’re practicing the correct way by finding an archery club or shop that someone can definitely help you and get you on the right path.

I wouldn’t say it’s unrealistic but IMO I wouldn’t try to get my first kill with a bow on an elk, big tough animals, and buck fever is through the roof just on our normal typical game here in Texas. I’d try getting a few kills under your belt before you leave as AC said above. Finding your target spot on an animal is much different than finding it on a target or 3D target.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post

Yes if you shoot often and correctly, you will be ready. I would suggest hunting other animals first and get some kills under your belt. Good luck
          this.

--- and be patient with it, you want to build those muscles necessary for the string pull itself so you don't shake when holding. A few kills, whether it be pigs, deer, etc. will help ease the buck fever somewhat, in being that close to an animal.
          Good luck !!

Comment

If you are in the position to hunt pigs that can be some of the best bow hunt training a beginning archer can get. Smaller target, more of them and it's no big deal if your shot placement isn't perfect initially. It will teach you a lot of things like patience, waiting for the right shot angle, scent control and general discipline that you will need for hunting larger game. Best of luck and welcome to the bowhunting world.

Comment

Thanks for the advice - I will go see Joey and sounds like he can get me pointed in the right direction.

Comment

Been on many, many bow elk hunts over the years and never had one that was "easy". Sure wish I could get one like that. Start small and work your way up on critters. Practice, practice, practice.

Comment

Look up Adam Guggisburg for instruction.

Comment

Get a second or possibly a third job....welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post

This. I just got my 2nd bow from there about two months ago. Texas Archery is a fantastic shop. As you are new, you will have stupid questions (Like how to hold the bow correctly so you don't get bit), and they never give condescending answers. They are truly there to help.

I would say you don't need a coach. Watch John Dudley videos on youtube, and be able to film yourself, and you will be set. As far as hunting an elk first, your whole first hunt will be nothing but learning. Learning calls, learning wind, learning how your body acclimates. So just go in with low expectations, and everything becomes a win after that.

Good Luck!

Comment

Glen at west houston archery

Comment

Working...
                        X