Rage 4 Blade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rage 4 Blade

I'm missing Ragin's BH threads which were always interesting so I thought I'd start my own...

I've been thinking of shooting the Grim Reaper 4 blade this year just for fun and something different. Then a friend sends me this pick from the Big R. I haven't shot a Rage in years but must admit this is interesting.

I've been shooting 125 grain Ramcats with a 1.5 inch cut for the past four years and have zero complaints just looking to switch things up a bit.

So here's the big R and the Grim Reaper. I know many of you will say expandable this and that or arrow weight this and that. I'm shooting a 475 grain arrow at 21% FOC / 290 FPS at Texas WT within 30 yards so I think I'm okay horse power wise.

Which one will it be?
    Attached Files

Call me old fashioned, but i think that rage is just marketing hype. what was Feredyne thinking coming up with that? I think its a little over the top. And looks like the Dirt Nap BMF (both mechanical and fixed)

If i were to choose between the two you have listed, i would try the Carnifour. The regular Reapers are great heads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Here's my two cents, if you have been shooting ram cats with no problems, you should be able to shoot about any head with out problems. By problems I mean broad head failure. Ram cats and American Broad heads are two of the worst heads I have used and seen many others use and lose blades , brake off inside the animal. I am not a huge mech. head fan,either, but have shot quit a few animals with the rage hypo and seen a lot of others also use them. And I am amazed how well they have worked. I would not shoot them at every animal, but small thin skinned, up to deer sized animals, I have been impressed ( probably 75-100 animals that I have seen killed with them) no failures on the broad heads part what so ever. I would be hesitant to shoot those that you show with out trying them first on smaller very thin skinned animals and work my way up, to see if they are durable, and if I have enough behind it, to get pass throughs consistently. Buy them, try shooting them through milk jugs filled with sand, and various other things to see if you have confidence in them. Then if you do ,send them through turkeys, javelina, small pigs, coyote, and see what ya think. I also had the carnifour when they came out lose blades, on an animal so I don't use them any more either. There are so many good heads out, there's no reason to use one that's even questionable. Good luck, let us know if you try them.
      Last edited by critter69; 06-23-2018, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Wow, my only complaint and it's minor about the Ramcats is that the blade tips will sometimes bend. Other than that they've performed perfectly for me.

I always replace the blades after a kill as I don't shoot that many critters and it's a cheap part of the hunt. Too cheap to skimp on IMO.

Comment

GR’s are clutch. Nuff said.

Comment

In on this one as I am the one that sent this to slick 8 for his opinion. I hope to try them on some piggies very soon.

Comment

I dont like the looks of the Rage and ive read plenty that the Carnifour is a bad mofo. So id go with the carni.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

[ATTACH]912767[/ATTACH] here's a carnifour, that became a carni three.

Comment

It looks cool but I personally feel that aluminum was the wrong choice for the ferrule. A lot of mass has been removed from that area to make room for the 4 blades. I’ve seen 2 blade aluminum ferrules bend. That would be a good setup if the ferrule was titanium. Other issue I see is potential for delayed deployment of the expandable blades. The leading blade will open the hide before the expendables have a chance to catch. I’m sticking to my ram cats. If your wanting to try a 4 blade expandable stick to the reaper. They have a longer track record.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I agree about the ferrule, never was a fan of the Rage aluminum ferrules and will likely be loading 2 Ramcats, 2 Reapers and the ole trusty Magnus stinger.

Comment

Working...
                    X