Buddhism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
    Please, no Christian advice or endless bible phrases please.

Was in a really interesting conversation today regarding Buddhism and Christianity and it got me thinking....
    Anyone on the Green Screen practice Buddhism or keep it as a side belief ?
    Hmm. I do not. Although I drive past a Buddhist place and often wonder what lies beneath their teachings. I was involved in an interesting conversation today also between the teachings of the Catholic Church and Christianity. I am often curious as how different religions practice their beliefs. I believe Religion to be a base of teachings that are adapted to a certain groups beliefs and am often curious the root of such. I would have liked to seen this thread take on an educational tone and not one of hate and hypocrisy. I have faith in a God who has shown me undeniable reckless love. I apologize the same has not been shown here.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
      I need a shot of Holy Water to wash all this down! [emoji41]

Skinny
      I see what you did right there!

Comment

This nice to see all y'all hugging and making up. Making me feel a little sick

Comment

Our sin problem is the result of an Authority problem. Take a look in Genesis 3 and you will see God referred to as “Lord God” showing his ultimate authority over all. Then the serpent comes on the scene and asks did “God” really say that. Right there he tries to remove God’s authority (Lordship) & ever since many have questioned God’s authority as Creator & Lord.
          God told Jeremiah “I am the Lord, the God of all mankind”

Comment

I can sum up all the quotes and post of the last 6 pages for everyone
            Choose now, when you die it’s too late

Comment

Originally posted by PVDT View Post
              Well....I'm not the beat around the bush type. I'm a Christian. Let's just put this as simple as possible.....let's just say that I'm right with how I believe and you become a Christian and go to Heaven. BUT if I'm wrong yet you still become a Christian and live like one....giving to the church, helping people, doing what you need to do as a man in this world....you still haven't lost. No bible verses needed.....
              Bingo!! Chapter 3 verse 16

Comment

WOODSMANS!!! I’ll say it Best post of this thread well done Sir.Thanks

Comment

Having graduated college from a Baptist ministerial school I studied all the worlds major belief systems. I think there is much to be learned from them all. I'm not sure about 'side beliefs' but I seek wisdom wherever it may be found.

Here is a daily buddhist quote:

Thoughts are like clouds and can vanish just as clouds naturally disperse into space.

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                    According to you .
                    What if BOB dies, and gets to come back as the lead singer of Slayer?

Comment

Originally posted by woodsman View Post
                      Hey Oscar. Thanks for the reply. If I misunderstood your intent, please forgive me. I partly quoted you for the Israel story but also for your agreement without hooligan that implied Christianity isn’t very different from other major religions. Jesus Christ is the foundation of Christianity, which is inherently and vastly different from every other belief out there. Fully God, fully man, and most importantly He lives today. Not a prophet, a role model, or belief in a works-based salvation.

I know many read this and probably despise my words or even me for saying it. But I love people too much to convey anything less than a clear path back to God through his son.

Thanks for your witness Oscar. I really appreciate and admire they way you ALWAYS so readily engage our brothers on TBH, and your genuine concern for others. God bless.
                      To quote myself: "If you spend any time studying the worlds 5 major religions you will see that we are not all that different. Many of the same characters are there, most of the messages are the same, the key foundation of them in very similar."

As I said the key foundations are very similar and if we disagree on that I understand your prospective but I also spend a lot of time reading on researching on other religions because I believe it is important to be able to be informed about the world not just my personal view. I did not mean to imply that they all parallel each other completely.

I can tell you are a very passionate and firm believer and I admire that; if it is true that some people despise you or the word you share than I feel sorry for them. There is no reason to not tolerate other's beliefs unless they are preaching hate to others imo. As a Christian I get confused by the fact that since I was raised Catholic I got a different message than I do now in the Methodist church and the same can be said about all sects of Christianity across the globe.

Your posts have been good and from an informed prospective so thanks for sharing more information with us.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                        According to you .
                        What if BOB dies, and gets to come back as the lead singer of Slayer?
                        They suck worse? 😜

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                          according to John yes, but John also says that all men will be forgiven. Ezekiel says the salvation of all men. James says full of mercy without partiality. Isaiah says to have all men saved.

This is a topic that comes up almost every time our men's group meets. Do non believers go to heaven with the devoted? I say no but there are always people who bring up the above and many more examples that can be interpreted as yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
                            Please, no Christian advice or endless bible phrases please.

Was in a really interesting conversation today regarding Buddhism and Christianity and it got me thinking....
                            Anyone on the Green Screen practice Buddhism or keep it as a side belief ?
                            Yes.
                            Have a great day Uncle Saggy.
                            God bless all!

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                              according to John yes, but John also says that all men will be forgiven. Ezekiel says the salvation of all men. James says full of mercy without partiality. Isaiah says to have all men saved.

This is a topic that comes up almost every time our men's group meets. Do non believers go to heaven with the devoted? I say no but there are always people who bring up the above and many more examples that can be interpreted as yes.
                              There no sound hermeneutics done in Scripture that would declare the unrighteous with the righteous in Heaven. Jesus said it best in John 3:17. I would to listen tonsome of the reasom and contextualization done to make the scripture you listed an affirmation of Gods Grace thru Jesus. Sounds like some good discussions going on.

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                                To quote myself: "If you spend any time studying the worlds 5 major religions you will see that we are not all that different. Many of the same characters are there, most of the messages are the same, the key foundation of them in very similar."

As I said the key foundations are very similar and if we disagree on that I understand your prospective but I also spend a lot of time reading on researching on other religions because I believe it is important to be able to be informed about the world not just my personal view. I did not mean to imply that they all parallel each other completely.

I can tell you are a very passionate and firm believer and I admire that; if it is true that some people despise you or the word you share than I feel sorry for them. There is no reason to not tolerate other's beliefs unless they are preaching hate to others imo. As a Christian I get confused by the fact that since I was raised Catholic I got a different message than I do now in the Methodist church and the same can be said about all sects of Christianity across the globe.

Your posts have been good and from an informed prospective so thanks for sharing more information with us.
                                Thanks for your well thought-out reply and I appreciate your shared interest in understanding the religious origins. It pains me to see how far Catholicism has drifted from the gospel of Jesus Christ, because of the very confusion you are taking about. It’s a religion that focuses on form instead of substance, confessing to a priest instead of Jesus, reciting specific prayers like they are magic formulas, etc. Now, not all Catholics operate this way, but that is their foundation. Fortunately many see the difference and indeed have a personal relationship with Christ despite the formal Catholic teachings.

But back to the point of key foundations. Yahweh is a triune God; Father, Son and Holy Spirit. All other religions deny the Son, and deny the Spirit. Because of this, their foundation is not similar at all. The message of salvation is completely different. Other religions don’t have a savior, and don’t worship a living God.

I do get what you’re saying to the extent that they recognize Abraham as their ancestor, but heck, we all came from Adam but I wouldn’t count that as having a common foundation of faith, either. They say the revere the OT, but in teaching they hold most of it in low regard, because Jesus “shows up” time and again. So yeah, technically they acknowledge many of the same people, but not in substance.

You make several great points. My contention is not that I don’t tolerate others’ beliefs, it’s that I see no authority in their origins. But I’m not going to force anyone to believe the Truth, but I will always try to proclaim it. (Despite popular belief, absolute truth is not subjective). There’s a whole ’nuther facet to faith in Jesus, which is the indisputable change He has made in this sinner’s life. But I have to get back to work now

Comment

Working...
                                X