Wood Working Guys Step In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood Working Guys Step In

Starting to do a little more wood working in my spare time. Curious if anyone has suggestions on woodworking books or magazines that they have found helpful when starting out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What u building?

Comment

Just Remember, Glue it and screw it.

Kreg Jigs are great tool and for learning

Comment

+1 for kreg jigs. Game changer!

Comment

It really depends on what you want to build.

Jim Tolpin wrote a great book on cabinets.

Tag Frid had an excellent book on all around woodworking, very good if you plan to build furniture from solid stock.

Any number of books available on turning, carving, small boxes, etc.

For magazines I like Fine Woodworking.

If you are going to build everything with a Kreg jig, just watch a couple YouTube videos.

Comment

Reading is great for ideas, safety aspects to be aware of, steps involved to go from A to B.

However, probably need to do some simple projects and even just sample cuts or joints to get a feel for the way various tools operate in real wood. Many things require feel and touch. Be amazed at how little one angle has to be "off" to be WAY off by the fourth corner.

When you execute a precise cut and things come together well for a nice finished project, it's very satisfying. Have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by hunt247 View Post
              Just Remember, Glue it and screw it.

Kreg Jigs are great tool and for learning
              And don't cut any fingers off, ran the tip of my middle finger on my right hand thru a jointer.........be careful.

Comment

Get good blades. I need to get some books myself, but I check out some stuff on facebook and the internet. youtube too.

Comment

Originally posted by SoTXAg06 View Post
                  Starting to do a little more wood working in my spare time. Curious if anyone has suggestions on woodworking books or magazines that they have found helpful when starting out.

Can't beat Youtube. One in particular Wood Working for Mere Mortals

formeremortals.net is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, formeremortals.net has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

The Traditional Bowyer's Bible, volumes 1-4.

Comment

Well mine was glued but not screwed. No screws, just mortise and tenon joints.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RGV Hunter View Post
                        Well mine was glued but not screwed. No screws, just mortise and tenon joints.
                        NICE. That works too. Difficult for a beginner though.

Comment

NICE. That works too. Difficult for a beginner though.
                          I had never done a table before. This was my first try. Should have seen me when I started. When I was clamping the table top, the board planks fell apart, LOL. Wood planks went all over the living room. I had to start over. I cut everything outside and glued all of it together in my living room. I had paper covering all over the floor to protect the brazian tile from the glue and the stain and polyurethane. It was hilarious to see. Wish I had a video of it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RGV Hunter View Post
                            I had never done a table before. This was my first try. Should have seen me when I started. When I was clamping the table top, the board planks fell apart, LOL. Wood planks went all over the living room. I had to start over. I cut everything outside and glued all of it together in my living room. I had paper covering all over the floor to protect the brazian tile from the glue and the stain and polyurethane. It was hilarious to see. Wish I had a video of it.

It would have been a video on how not to build a table. LOL

Comment

kreg jigs are great tool and for learning
                              yaassssss!!

Comment

Working...
                              X