Cheap bourbon aging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
    SO.......... You put a $15 dollar bottle of whiskey in a $50 dollar barrel and get out a $40 whiskey???? Guessing the barrel has diminishing returns on reuse? Still kind of a cool idea. MY thought would be putting in a well-aged whiskey to start and see what it makes.
    I like to put white liquor in the barrel, possibly home made, I think you can get up to 10 uses with the barrel before it needs to be recharged or put on the shelf as decor.

Comment

I haven't tried it but a friend has and I remember him saying he was using old red wine barrels. I'll ask and report back.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhica View Post
        I will GLADLY sample your BT extended version bourbon. For the fun of it. I'll bring the cigars!! The ones from the bottom shelf. Them good sticks.

[emoji1360]you aging those sticks?[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by cfortner View Post
          Nice, where did you get the barrel?
          Deep South Barrels right down the street from me makes them

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
            SO.......... You put a $15 dollar bottle of whiskey in a $50 dollar barrel and get out a $40 whiskey???? Guessing the barrel has diminishing returns on reuse? Still kind of a cool idea. MY thought would be putting in a well-aged whiskey to start and see what it makes.
            There is no economic motivation behind this for me. I started with cheap bourbon well, because I'm cheap and I don't want to waste better stuff on an experiment. If this comes out good, the next batch will be with Four Roses small batch or something on that level. I buy good stuff frequently and I just thought it would be fun to see if what comes out of this little barrel will be better.
            Last edited by TexaRican; 07-11-2018, 01:20 PM.

Comment

My brother in law does it all the time with great results. Keep us posted!

Comment

I have more time than money so why not?

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhica View Post
                  So if surface area is a key factor in the aging process, why not sacrifice some ullage and liquid volume with old thin barrel slats introduced into your barrel. On such a small scale, you could turn around a batch on no time flat. But then you would be potentially sacrificing mellowness.

How many times can a barrel be used before it no longer provides the flavor it once was providing?
                  The problem I had with mine after about two years the wood inside just started coming out with the whiskey and clogged up the spout !

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                    in for results.

But what's wrong with Benchmark straight from the bottle?
                    Benchmark doesn't need any improvements!

Comment

Cheap bourbon aging and pearl snap shirts!
                      Last edited by eastxhunter; 07-11-2018, 02:48 PM. Reason: That doesn’t sound right?

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
                        [emoji1360]you aging those sticks?[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Oh yea. The really really good ones I keep in my panty drawer.

Comment

has the temptation of trying a sip hit you yet?

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                            has the temptation of trying a sip hit you yet?
                            No, I'm staying on my diet and not drinking currently (not much anyway) so I have not even thought about it. Thinking I might let it go to some time in Sept.

Comment

Just a drop of hair tonic, for aging.

From the Mr. Roberts movie, I believe.

Oh wait, that was Scotch, nevermind.

Comment

if it comes out to anything like Garrisons Bros, I'll bring pasteles...

Comment

Working...
                                X