Trimmed Brisket or.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am going to attempt my first smoked brisket on my 18" Webber Smokey Moutain smoker. Two adults and two kids will be feasting on the brisket. I'll have to find a brisket that will fit in the smoker. A friend at work suggested a trimmed brisket but am afraid it may dry out as the ones I've seen have very little fat left on them.

What say you green screen? Trimmed brisket or no?
    Last edited by SneakyPhil; 03-11-2017, 02:34 PM.

No. I cook my briskets on a large smoker (not a weber) but I never buy trimmed briskets. the fat side always up which drips down into the meat and makes it tender

Comment

I agree fat side up

Comment

Wait trimming the fat off a brisket in Texas is legal??? [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I like untrimmed , fat side up and I use a Weber

Comment

I personally buy untrimmed and trim myself. As for the fat cap . I base the fat cap more on the heat source which most of the time is up in my big pit and down in my little one.

Comment

Untrimmed. Only in a Webber put it fat side down. You want the fat layer to protect the meat from the heat. Done it several times, works better fat down on the webber (mine was actually a Brinkman bullet but same concept).

Comment

Originally posted by Eagles1181 View Post
                Untrimmed. Only in a Webber put it fat side down. You want the fat layer to protect the meat from the heat. Done it several times, works better fat down on the webber (mine was actually a Brinkman bullet but same concept).
                I move all the the coals to one side and put a pan under the meat with water inside

Comment

Originally posted by Hydestik View Post
                  I move all the the coals to one side and put a pan under the meat with beer inside

Fify
                  Beer is better [emoji1303]

Comment

Untrimmed. The fat helps capture some of that smoke flavor better, and adds its own flavor (if you've ever made tallow from the fat, that flavor with the smoke is great).

Comment

Never trim mine and fat side down.

Comment

My opinion. My taste buds. My preference. Not the gospel.

I don't buy trimmed as it's always more expensive. I trim myself. I like a little more fat than a trimmed brisket has but not much. Bark does not set up well on fat. I cut off all the hard white chunk fat as it doesn't render anyway.. it's useless. I trim the fat cap to 1/4" thick...then square off the flat to help it cook more even.. I like bark. Bark is where all the flavor is. Ive seen folks smoke non-trimmed briskets, then cut or scrape off all the fat when done. What little bark and flavor they put on that fat has now just been scraped into the trash. Then all you have is the meat.. with little flavor. Trimming lightly gets you bark on both sides. No scraping or cutting off the fat. To me and my tastes, it's the only way to go.

Btw... The fat does not drain down through the meat with fat side up. It rolls off the side. The internal fats render in place. Draining through the meat is a myth unfortunately. I put my fat cap towards the heat. And I prefer fat down as a whole but I'll do it up if the pit needs it. Fat side down makes for a pretty and flavorful bark on top.

Last edited by Smart; 03-11-2017, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Untrimmed. Fat side up. Season it more than you think you will need. Once it's cut you have very little meat with seasoning on it

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                            My opinion. My taste buds. My preference. Not the gospel.

I don't buy trimmed as it's always more expensive. I trim myself. I like a little more fat than a trimmed brisket has but not much. Bark does not set up well on fat. I cut off all the hard white chunk fat as it doesn't render anyway.. it's useless. I trim the fat cap to 1/4" thick...then square off the flat to help it cook more even.. I like bark. Bark is where all the flavor is. Ive seen folks smoke non-trimmed briskets, then cut or scrape off all the fat when done. What little bark and flavor they put on that fat has now just been scraped into the trash. Then all you have is the meat.. with little flavor. Trimming lightly gets you bark on both sides. No scraping or cutting off the fat. To me and my tastes, it's the only

Btw... The fat does not drain down through the meat with fat side up. It rolls off the side. The internal fats render in place. Draining through the meat is a myth unfortunately. I put my fat cap towards the heat. And I prefer fat down as a whole but I'll do it up if the pit needs it. Fat side down makes for a pretty and flavorful bark on top.

Word!

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. Put a 10 pounder on at 7:30am that I trimmed myself. It's at 195 right now. Going to pull it at 200F and let it rest for 30 min. We shall see.

Comment

Working...
                              X