No announcement yet.

turkey hunt early season vs late season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its best right after the hens start nesting which is usually later, early they are often henned up and will gobble but not come.

Comment

We hunt around Albany, and I think the Turkey season dates are way off.

It would be much better if the season ran from about March 15 to April 15. We could hear the birds just going gobble bananas last weekend along their roosts, as they do every year from about now until early April - then it gets hot, the grass gets tall, and the hunting isn't very good.

We usually just hunt the opening weekend or the weekend after.

Comment

I really don't think early or late in the season matters as much as the time of day and the particular day that you hunt. Turkeys are like fish, sometimes they bite and sometimes they don't, and there's no rhyme or reason to it. I agree with the poster who pointed out that late mornings and early evenings are best. There is a reason for this. Gobblers like to roost near hens and are generally pretty henned up early and late. In the middle of the day, the hens and gobblers disperse, and, then is the time to fire up a tom. I can't stress enough that a jake decoy is like crack to a gobbler. I also believe that it's worth spending the money to get a really good decoy like a Dave Smith or Avian X. All of the turkeys that I've killed in the last two seasons (six of them) were at less than 10 yards attacking my jake decoy.

Comment

Going to test this theory of early season is the best this weekend. Got a 9 yr old chomping at the bit to get his first long beard.

Comment

Tagged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Go early, mid , and late season!!!!!

Comment

Gobble Gobble

Comment

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
                  Go early......period!! Season should start 2 weeks earlier everywhere in my opinion! Toms were breeding hens here two weeks ago.
                  he speak the truth it will be over before you know it.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                    I really don't think early or late in the season matters as much as the time of day and the particular day that you hunt. Turkeys are like fish, sometimes they bite and sometimes they don't, and there's no rhyme or reason to it. I agree with the poster who pointed out that late mornings and early evenings are best. There is a reason for this. Gobblers like to roost near hens and are generally pretty henned up early and late. In the middle of the day, the hens and gobblers disperse, and, then is the time to fire up a tom. I can't stress enough that a jake decoy is like crack to a gobbler. I also believe that it's worth spending the money to get a really good decoy like a Dave Smith or Avian X. All of the turkeys that I've killed in the last two seasons (six of them) were at less than 10 yards attacking my jake decoy.

https://youtu.be/ijxBkOAmpMs
                    I think it depends on the place. We have crap tons of birds every year you can call all day long get them to answer sometimes but will never get close to you and then one day they are all over you. Out places lasts about one week hard then it is back to silence then the only way to get them is to hunt over a feeder.

Just our place not sure about others.

Comment

Working...
                    X