No announcement yet.

2015 Dream Season!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys...glad you're enjoying the vid so far.

Comment

Congrats Logan. Looking forward to the sheep write up.

Comment

So here's the sheep story...I've been trying to keep a hunting/scouting journal this year and here's what I wrote for opening day.

Opening day is finally here! We woke up extra early today to make sure we were on the ridge by first light. After breakfast and double checking to make sure we had all the gear, we set off up the trail. Once on top, we quickly spotted the group of sheep on the peak to the south but wanted to try and find the bigger group first that we had been watching all weekend. As we hiked the trail towards where we left the sheep yesterday, we noticed the big herd of elk was back in the valley. I left my two friends to watch the elk as I climbed the ridge to the East in order to gain a better vantage point to locate the sheep. Well it worked! I spotted some sheep exactly where they had been the night before.

As we planned how to go after the sheep I had seen, a ewe skyline on the ridge behind us, right above us! Not wanting to miss this chance, I quickly grabbed my bow and started up the ridge as my buddies watched from below. Due to the shape of the hill, I was able to get about 70 yds from the feeding sheep without them knowing I was there. I was then able to close another 20 yds moving very very slowly. When it looked like they were about to go back over the ride, I ranged the closest ewe at 52 yds, drew my bow, and MISSED! I had rushed the shot, held too low and shot right below her. I ran up to check my arrow to be sure it was a clean miss. The arrow was dry and there were no signs of blood or hair. I was momentarily very disappointed until I peeked over the ridge and there stood a ewe, not too far away. I nocked another arrow, ranged her at 42 yds and shot. I watched the arrow fly true and bury up to the fletching. She immediately disappeared and the other sheep scattered.

I then eased down the slope to validate a good hit. I found good blood almost immediately! I walked back to the top and signaled my friends to come up and join me. After a 15-20 min wait to make sure she had expired, we took up the blood trail. After less than 10 mins of tracking, my buddy spotted her about 500 yds below us on the slope!

The feeling that I had, once I knew she was down is hard to describe. It was very mixed...relief, excitement, and thankfulness all come to mind.

Now it was time to descend down to her by sliding, stumbling, etc. It was definitely an exercise in controlled chaos. It probably took us almost 15 minutes to decent to the sheep. We found her all twisted in a pile. She was bigger than I anticipated both in body and horn size! I was thrilled!

After snapping a few pictures, we quartered and caped her. It took us about an hr to do so and pack her up in our packs. We packed down another 500 ft to the bottom of the basin and hiked the 3/4 of a mile or so back to camp. 30 minutes later, we had camp packed and were ready for the 4.5 mile hike back to the trucks.

My pack weighed 100+ lbs for this hike which is easily the heaviest pack out i've ever done. The truck was a very welcome sight when we got back and I quickly took some Advil, knowing I'd soon be sore. As tired as I was, the feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment, made all the work worth it.

Comment

Once my wife is done on the other computer, I'll post pics of the sheep.

Comment

Thats awesome, i just started bow hunting but hopefully once i get the hang of things i can get my wife interested.

Comment

Working...
            X