Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 09-22-2019, 09:42 PM   #101
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnd1959 View Post
Was that A or W?

I've found them on both lakes over the years. Even 55 gallon feeder sets. Some even had rifle box blinds. One feller had a tower blind one year, that could be seen from the water . Couple of other fellers had some tri-pods set up over 55 gallon feeders. I've seen golf cart hunters, rifle hunters, 4-wheeler hunters out there too. But since it's turned bow only, it's been reducing over the years. There are more eyes in the woods now than back when it was a weekly draw hunt for deer during the general seasons. But there are still a few that come up with these ideas....

Best thing to do is remember that you have a cell phone. And it takes video and pics, if it's not putting ya in immediate jeopardy.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2019, 10:30 PM   #102
jnd1959
Eight Point

As long as I'm not walking up on some guy's still I'm good to take pictures. I've had them warning shots before. I often wonder if it's ignorance, apathy for the rules, or just down right disobedience. I kinda think it's apathy. They figure they'll do what they want untill someone tells them no and if no one tells them no it must be alright, no matter what the rules say.
jnd1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2019, 11:35 PM   #103
silent hunter
Four Point

Hunt In: A tree in bosque county

Good ole public hunting it’s sad people just can’t follow the rules!
silent hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2019, 10:37 AM   #104
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchback View Post
If this is your feeder we would really appreciate you removing it!
Attachment 973289
Darn it!! Please leave my spot alone. As you see. I have claimed this area as my own personal deer lease, so carry on, and pretend as if you never saw it......
Lone_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2019, 10:43 AM   #105
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

Quote:
Yep. All the deer were eaten by the zombies. Just pigs now. Even the zombies can't keep the pig numbers down. Put that with the duck hunter that lost his arm to a flesh eating virus and it's a wonder anyone braves the risk to hunt there. I hear the national forests in east Texas are loaded with deer and the flooded timber is a duck mecca. Plus, there's so much room one isn't likely to see another hunter all season.
Those W hogs are some of the most pathetic looking hogs I've ever seen. Skeletons wrapped in skin. Must be living off rock and cedar trees. Never thought I'd see them in some of the spots there in now.......
Old 09-23-2019, 11:11 AM   #106
jnd1959
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
Those W hogs are some of the most pathetic looking hogs I've ever seen. Skeletons wrapped in skin. Must be living off rock and cedar trees. Never thought I'd see them in some of the spots there in now.......

Yep. Eating zombies is like crack cocaine to those hogs. I dunno' about you but I don't think I'd eat a hog that's been snacking on zombies. Everyone would be better to hunt those east Texas hogs. I hear their diet makes them taste maple flavored and they're clean as a whistle. Don't even need to cook 'em first.

Plus the east Texas forests have signs up that say this way to hog killin' and 12 point buck sleeps here.

Take the SHNF. There's only like 10 people that hunt the whole thing. And they only hunt Saturday morning. The place is a veritable ghost forest.
Old 09-23-2019, 01:35 PM   #107
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

I was actually being serious......they look terrible.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:30 PM   #108
jnd1959
Eight Point

Quote:
I was actually being serious......they look terrible.
Hmm. Don't know. Maybe the heat. Maybe they've out bread their food source?
Old 09-23-2019, 09:12 PM   #109
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:

Well, I'll admit it. I stopped feeding them. And visiting with them a couple of years ago. I should-a known they'd starve them selves to death if I quit visiting with them. Poor wild piggys!

Makes me feel sorry for them since, technically, I "wild domesticated" them. Maybe I should go back and teach them how to live off the land? I remember when I used to sit and tell them stories, scratch they're backs, and hand feed them corn. I had a lot of them named. I miss my wild pet piggys!

Old 09-24-2019, 04:20 AM   #110
Storm
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lake Whitney

Justin and I were jjust talking about the lack of pigs in our areas this year.
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 06:52 AM   #111
Storm
Pope & Young

I have 2 tickets for the Rangers game on the 25th i cant go til Saturday. These are seats up 3 rows from the dugout if you want them post up and we'll meet up sometime today.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:33 AM   #112
justindfw
Ten Point

Hunt In: Whitney public land

I will find out soon if the pigs have been around my spot. I will be going to corn again before opener I put 40 pounds out this past weekend.
justindfw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 09:53 AM   #113
jnd1959
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm View Post
I have 2 tickets for the Rangers game on the 25th i cant go til Saturday. These are seats up 3 rows from the dugout if you want them post up and we'll meet up sometime today.
Those are good seats. I used to set about 8 rows up from the first base dugout. With only 6 games left that would be a neat deal for a parent/child.

Good luck. I'm leaving to hunt Big Lake Bottoms on Thursday so I can't take them.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:00 AM   #114
Storm
Pope & Young

Quote:
Those are good seats. I used to set about 8 rows up from the first base dugout. With only 6 games left that would be a neat deal for a parent/child.

Good luck. I'm leaving to hunt Big Lake Bottoms on Thursday so I can't take them.
I agree on the parent- child im giving these tickets away and Im going to the game on Saturday.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:44 PM   #115
silent hunter
Four Point

Them poor piggy’s are lacking in carbon an Steel in their diet hope to help some of them out lol!
Old 09-24-2019, 02:05 PM   #116
Storm
Pope & Young

Ranger tickets are spoken for.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:52 AM   #117
Ender
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque,hill counties, anywhere i can

Well I got a bit of a cold my last couple days at the rig. I’m debating skipping the opening weekend frenzy and going out Monday. That would get me away from all the people and give my cough time to subside a bit more. Haven’t decided yet though, if my cough is good I may go out. Good luck this weekend all
Ender is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 10:56 AM   #118
jnd1959
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender View Post
Well I got a bit of a cold my last couple days at the rig. Iím debating skipping the opening weekend frenzy and going out Monday. That would get me away from all the people and give my cough time to subside a bit more. Havenít decided yet though, if my cough is good I may go out. Good luck this weekend all
I've been fighting the same thing for the last two weeks. Hope it is better by Friday. I hunted LBJ last year on the opener in an easy unit (had my daughter with me and didn't want to walk in a couple mies in the dark). It was about 2 acres per hunter. I'm hunting a drawn WMA the first week, otherwise, I think I would skip the first week as well.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:55 AM   #119
bowhunter247
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas

Some people forget it's public land and try to treat it as their own private lease. A few years back I had a guy tell me when I see his truck parked on 174, I was not to be out there. He had 5 stands put out, and that was his area. I did find one of his stands. He had cut down trees at least 6" at the base for shooting lanes, and to brush in his blind.

It's too easy to follow the rules, but some people just try and ruin it for every body.

GPS coordinates and pics sent to the Park Rangers took care of the situation. Ranger called me up, said he knew exactly how it was and was going to confiscate the stand and revoke his permit
bowhunter247 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2019, 08:03 AM   #120
Ender
Ten Point

I was scouting b2 last days off, found several home made ladder stands and feeders. I also found a few aluminium ladder stands and one full two seater aluminium ladder stand. It was kinda rediculus

Last edited by Ender; 09-26-2019 at 08:06 AM.
Old 09-26-2019, 11:52 AM   #121
justindfw
Ten Point

B2 has always had stands on it.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:06 PM   #122
Storm
Pope & Young

From all the years I've hunted Whitney and Aquilla nothing surprises me now aprantlly the rules only apply to those that follow them. As TG B.C. said take pictures and coordinates and go to the Corps office.
Old 09-26-2019, 02:18 PM   #123
drogers6771
Four Point

Hunt In: behind the house & public

Sooo whats the skinny on Turkey at the A&W? I got the itch for a public land bird last year and have been skunked so far. I am trying to put my wife on one first and foremost. Not askin for spots, just whether or not its worth my time to come out and do some scouting. Dont worry, im not after yalls deer
drogers6771 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2019, 02:24 PM   #124
justindfw
Ten Point

Them turkey can be tuff out there. I've only killed two spring gobblers
Old 09-26-2019, 06:23 PM   #125
Kirby86
Ten Point

Hunt In: 100% Public Land.

Fall turkey at both lakes can be hit or miss, but every once in a blue moon I'll hear one gobble, odd as that sounds. With as much deer hunting pressure as both lakes get it tends to push the birds around as well.

I've found that their fall ranges aren't the same as their spring areas, at least on the areas I've hunted. I will say that a few years ago when I was running corn pretty regularly I learned why they call them Corn Buzzards...

By the way, anyone else hunting from a tree saddle this year? I'm going exclusively to the saddle this year after trying a sit drag at the end of last season.
Kirby86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2019, 07:26 PM   #126
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Looks like I'll be at work Saturday. And house chores Sunday. The best to all that make it out there.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:42 AM   #127
Ender
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby86 View Post
Fall turkey at both lakes can be hit or miss, but every once in a blue moon I'll hear one gobble, odd as that sounds. With as much deer hunting pressure as both lakes get it tends to push the birds around as well.

I've found that their fall ranges aren't the same as their spring areas, at least on the areas I've hunted. I will say that a few years ago when I was running corn pretty regularly I learned why they call them Corn Buzzards...

By the way, anyone else hunting from a tree saddle this year? I'm going exclusively to the saddle this year after trying a sit drag at the end of last season.
I wanted a saddle bad this year but with the wait times I went with an xop vanish. Plan on getting a saddle as soon as I can save up the money again. The weight reduction is my main reason. Iíve been thinking of getting or making a sit drag to try out. I worked several hitches at a lower position though and Iím still trying to recover financially from that. Just canít justify the $400 for the saddle and platform right now. Of corse all the people who ordered their mantisí at the same time I had the money are getting them now lol, should have just ordered it
Old 09-27-2019, 10:01 AM   #128
Ispdnxs
Six Point

Hunt In: Various Public Lands

For those making it out this weekend, I wish you the best of luck. Itís killing me that I havenít been out there much at all this year. Looks like all my hunting will be in the second half of the season once I get my city house sold. Be safe out there.
Ispdnxs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2019, 02:37 PM   #129
Kirby86
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender View Post
I wanted a saddle bad this year but with the wait times I went with an xop vanish. Plan on getting a saddle as soon as I can save up the money again. The weight reduction is my main reason. Iíve been thinking of getting or making a sit drag to try out. I worked several hitches at a lower position though and Iím still trying to recover financially from that. Just canít justify the $400 for the saddle and platform right now. Of corse all the people who ordered their mantisí at the same time I had the money are getting them now lol, should have just ordered it

My wife is gonna be hunting out of a vanish XT since I canít convince her to try the sit drag .

If you wanna try it out, let me know. Itís pretty modified, but it works the same as my mantis. Iím not 100% sure it wonít be more comfortable but I havenít spent enough time in the mantis to get the adjustments down pat for all day sits.

Donít rule out the Kestrel Flex. If I had known about it sooner I likely would have gone that route over the mantis.

If you wanna borrow it, I have 11mm rope for a tether setup already with a Prussik, but youíd still need a linemanís belt.

I went to a ropeman 1 for my linemanís belt and my tether this year and that things a game changer!
Old 09-27-2019, 02:40 PM   #130
silent hunter
Four Point

I’m saving my pto time for another week or so. Still need some more scouting time to find out where more of the public land “ pro staffers “ are so I can avoid that an set up on all the deer they run off lol! Look forward to meeting some more of you that our good Stuart’s of the land an go the extra mile to do it right!!!!! And to the ones who tuff it out this weekend I wish y’all the best of luck an safe happy hunting!!!
Old 09-27-2019, 02:54 PM   #131
Kirby86
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent hunter View Post
Iím saving my pto time for another week or so. Still need some more scouting time to find out where more of the public land ď pro staffers ď are so I can avoid that an set up on all the deer they run off lol! Look forward to meeting some more of you that our good Stuartís of the land an go the extra mile to do it right!!!!! And to the ones who tuff it out this weekend I wish yíall the best of luck an safe happy hunting!!!

Water access and/or gun season tends to limit the folks I run into but no guarantees.

Bad part Iím seeing is the forecast for October has us not seeing temps below the 90s until November. That can change, but gosh itís gonna be a hot month it looks like.
Old 09-27-2019, 03:18 PM   #132
silent hunter
Four Point

Yea I started hunting Whitney in the early 2000s until around 08-09 met TG switchback an several other good guys had a lot of fun an it seemed come rifle season a lot of guys left an I get most of my time off during the week to that helps some but ole Mother Nature definitely needs to get on board with us bow hunters lol
Old 09-27-2019, 03:36 PM   #133
coojay
Four Point

Deer should move good n the am hrs, hunt close to water, Aquilla stinks on north side from all the dead carp, good luck guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coojay is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2019, 03:42 PM   #134
Jeremy7306
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Whitney, Anywhere I can find

Good luck out there ladies!

Iíll be out Sunday AM with a buddy. We scouted for a bit the other day and dang was it hot!!! Didnít see anything we were looking for so weíll play it by ear Sunday morning.

Jeremy7306 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2019, 03:57 PM   #135
xZachTheRipper8
Four Point

Just learned about the public hunting land down around Whitney, while at a bow shop last night. Did some recon on it last night when I got home and I will be sending my information in to get my permits ready so i can get down and scout the area!
xZachTheRipper8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2019, 05:58 PM   #136
coojay
Four Point

Thatís funny!!! Lmao

Old 09-27-2019, 06:10 PM   #137
justindfw
Ten Point

Happy to report no hog sign at the spot I hunt. 40 pounds of corn gone with nothing but deer tracks. I'm gonna give it a go in the morning.
Old 09-27-2019, 06:32 PM   #138
coojay
Four Point

Same at my spot on Aquilla,hunting close to the water no hogs all deer!!

Old 09-27-2019, 06:47 PM   #139
Buckshot-73
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Whitney and Glen Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by xZachTheRipper8 View Post
Just learned about the public hunting land down around Whitney, while at a bow shop last night. Did some recon on it last night when I got home and I will be sending my information in to get my permits ready so i can get down and scout the area!

I paid my cousins, vladimer and boris, 14,millions ruble to hack the premier public guruís computer... I have 348 GPS coordinates for sale. Guaranteed spots to kill deer. $100 for 1,, $300 for 5 spots, we can discuss further discounts for more locations.

Hi Mike. Love ya like a brother.
Buckshot-73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2019, 06:50 PM   #140
Buckshot-73
Pope & Young

And ifín any one wants Storms proven locations, gonna cost about $3,729.

Hi Jessie

Old 09-27-2019, 07:10 PM   #141
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
I paid my cousins, vladimer and boris, 14,millions ruble to hack the premier public guru’s computer... I have 348 GPS coordinates for sale. Guaranteed spots to kill deer. $100 for 1,, $300 for 5 spots, we can discuss further discounts for more locations.

Hi Mike. Love ya like a brother.

Not again!

At least pay me a percentage on the earnings!
Old 09-27-2019, 07:21 PM   #142
coojay
Four Point

Everyone have a good season! Hell yea!!!

Old 09-27-2019, 07:31 PM   #143
coojay
Four Point

Old 09-27-2019, 07:31 PM   #144
coojay
Four Point

My Japanese robe

Old 09-27-2019, 07:32 PM   #145
arrowpatriot02
Spike

Hell yea!

arrowpatriot02 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2019, 07:58 PM   #146
coojay
Four Point

Itís ok ladies n gentleman, my camo, world war 2 from japan

Old 09-27-2019, 10:13 PM   #147
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Cool camo! Let the dragon lead you.

Old 09-27-2019, 11:14 PM   #148
Buckshot-73
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post
Not again!

At least pay me a percentage on the earnings!

I will split it.

70óó- 40.

70% to you.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:30 PM   #149
Firemedic635
Spike

Heck yes !! Nice robe coojay

Firemedic635 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2019, 06:31 AM   #150
Razorback01