Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 11-02-2019, 10:09 PM   #601
mdoug1076
Four Point

Hunt In: Somerville PHL, Sam Houston National Forest WMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggwild View Post
Txt to me. Iíll post them. Still got my number?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep sent
mdoug1076 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2019, 10:13 PM   #602
Hoggwild
Eight Point

Hunt In: Brazos, Lee Co

Hoggwild is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2019, 10:54 PM   #603
jnd1959
Eight Point

Nice deer. Congrats.
jnd1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2019, 11:21 PM   #604
Hoggwild
Eight Point

Random find..

Anyone else notice the book doesnít say anything about wearing hunter orange this year?

Old 11-03-2019, 12:04 PM   #605
Hoggwild
Eight Point

If you just recently put a lock on up 10-12ft up, left your 3rd ladder laying next to a tree and trash (propel and water bottles) in a ziplock bag next to your extra ladder... PM ME. Cause your an idiot

Old 11-04-2019, 07:25 AM   #606
JMKro
Six Point

Hunt In: Shelby, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoug1076 View Post
Gorgeous morning hunt. First full morning to be able to hunt the new spot I found. Saw two 8pts together, probably 11 and 10 inch inside spread. One of them made a rub 10 yards from me which was cool to watch. Saw a little 4pt chasing a doe. Saw a few more does. Then later, out of nowhere like a ghost, saw a nice 8pt. Immediately, I knew he was outside the ears. He was about 40 yards away but tucked behind some trees. I grabbed my bow and was able to slowly stand up. I was waiting for at least 10 minutes for him to make his move, but he just stood there. The wind was in my favor. Then all of a sudden he just started running towards me but also behind me. I picked an open spot quickly and drew back, I made a grunt sound and released my arrow as soon as he stopped 15 yards behind me....all of this within a few seconds. He dropped immediately. I realized I shot him high and probably hit his spine, he was still alive and trying to get up and crawl away so I put another arrow in his lungs. Ended up with a nice 8pt buck with exactly a 15Ē inside spread. Iíll post pics soon.
Nice deer dude! He definitely has some age on him. Props for doing it on public
JMKro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-04-2019, 09:17 AM   #607
mdoug1076
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKro View Post
Nice deer dude! He definitely has some age on him. Props for doing it on public
Thank you. It was definitely one of the best hunts Iíve ever had. Iím going to spend the rest of season probably hunting at Sam Houston with my dad now plus I have a couple drawn hunts coming up. Good luck to everyone out there!
Old 11-04-2019, 02:10 PM   #608
verter
Spike

Hunt In: Somerville PHL

Quote:
Thank you. It was definitely one of the best hunts Iíve ever had. Iím going to spend the rest of season probably hunting at Sam Houston with my dad now plus I have a couple drawn hunts coming up. Good luck to everyone out there!
Very nice buck, congrats! Nails or Yegua?
verter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2019, 09:56 AM   #609
mdoug1076
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by verter View Post
Very nice buck, congrats! Nails or Yegua?
Thank you. Iíd prefer not to say where to be respectful to other hunters. Iím not saying you personally would go hunt that part of the unit, but other hunters may.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:31 AM   #610
jnd1959
Eight Point

Quote:
Thank you. Iíd prefer not to say where to be respectful to other hunters. Iím not saying you personally would go hunt that part of the unit, but other hunters may.

It's ok. You can tell us. We won't tell anyone

Congrats.
jnd1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2019, 01:44 PM   #611
buck128
Four Point

Anyone going to be duck hunting the flag pond this weekend ?
buck128 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2019, 12:16 PM   #612
surfin Pete
Four Point

Great buck, MDoug! Those are definitely hard to come by- especially at Somerville. Thanks for the write-up too. Always good to hear a plan come together like that.

Throwin' up a hand for an internet high-five to you.
surfin Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2019, 08:36 PM   #613
Hoggwild
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck128 View Post
Anyone going to be duck hunting the flag pond this weekend ?

Wont be any room for another boat in flagpond opening weekend. Been seeing lots of birds at the WMA.

Old 11-06-2019, 10:02 PM   #614
verter
Spike

Quote:
I understand, that's why my location question was very general
Old 11-08-2019, 04:36 PM   #615
toomuchsun
Four Point

Read the rules and learned a little from comments here. Never hunted this area. Sound like a lots of luck and decent skill might see a good buck. Doe's not that difficult but limited days to hunt them. Pigs promising opportunity. Talked to the Mgr. Nice fella. Now this old man will make a field trip. I hunt weekdays being retired but will have to tromp around to know the area. So goes Public locations which is new to me. Finding most folk on this thread decent with a lot of poking fun at rookies like me. We deserve it. All good. See ya.
toomuchsun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2019, 09:41 PM   #616
verter
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchsun View Post
Read the rules and learned a little from comments here. Never hunted this area. Sound like a lots of luck and decent skill might see a good buck. Doe's not that difficult but limited days to hunt them. Pigs promising opportunity. Talked to the Mgr. Nice fella. Now this old man will make a field trip. I hunt weekdays being retired but will have to tromp around to know the area. So goes Public locations which is new to me. Finding most folk on this thread decent with a lot of poking fun at rookies like me. We deserve it. All good. See ya.
I hope you are not planning on "tromping around" until after the deer season, even on weekdays. That's a sure way to meet a dark side of even the nicest hunter out there.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:44 PM   #617
Hoggwild
Eight Point

Quote:
I hope you are not planning on "tromping around" until after the deer season, even on weekdays. That's a sure way to meet a dark side of even the nicest hunter out there.

Yessir thatís correct. Or setting a stand 100yards from someone else and leave trash scattered around is a quick way to get off to a wrong start. I took video of this said stand/trash today.. fighting the urge to post it and see who the clown is.

Old 11-11-2019, 09:47 PM   #618
Fthoodtanker
Four Point

Hunt In: anywhere i can find

Quote:
Yessir thatís correct. Or setting a stand 100yards from someone else and leave trash scattered around is a quick way to get off to a wrong start. I took video of this said stand/trash today.. fighting the urge to post it and see who the clown is.

Hoggwild u scared to post it

Lol just messing wit ya

Fthoodtanker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 07:35 PM   #619
toomuchsun
Four Point

Quote:
All respect given but disagree. It is public hunt land. I paid to use it. I have not had a chance to check it out. I leave no trash. I need to scout and walk to learn it. Is their a poster somewhere to show the claimed spots? I would never encroach and would steer away if recognized someone is working a spot. Buy your own place or share what is meant to be shared via Public Hunt.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:37 PM   #620
Hoggwild
Eight Point

Default Somerville PHL 18-19

Quote:
All respect given but disagree. It is public hunt land. I paid to use it. I have not had a chance to check it out. I leave no trash. I need to scout and walk to learn it. Is their a poster somewhere to show the claimed spots? I would never encroach and would steer away if recognized someone is working a spot. Buy your own place or share what is meant to be shared via Public Hunt.

**** this the exact reason why Iím glad Iím deployed next year. ďLet me go tromping around when hunting gets good cause..well...I can do thatĒ

FAWK that guy!

Old 11-12-2019, 07:37 PM   #621
GD47
Six Point

Hunt In: Lee

Quote:
Here we go with another one of these guys....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
GD47 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 07:48 PM   #622
Trumpkin
Six Point

Hunt In: Sore Finger!!!

Hmmm... so say it was a military guy fresh off deployment, planning to go out, speed scout, and hunt? I know that's not the case, but does that change the calculus?

There's lots of folks with valid reasons to not have had a chance to scout before the season. If they honestly keep an eye out for other hunters and give them a wide berth, what can you really complain about? Sure, it might just be laziness, but how will you know?
Trumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 07:52 PM   #623
Hoggwild
Eight Point

No itís not a valid excuse! Thatís like someone rolling up to a duck hole 10min after legal shooting time and setting up!

These types of people will locate other stands and set up 100yrds...and call it good. You wonder how I know?
I got guys now like that out there.

Old 11-12-2019, 07:52 PM   #624
toomuchsun
Four Point

Quote:
**** this the exact reason why Iím glad Iím deployed next year. ďLet me go tromping around when hunting gets good cause..well...I can do thatĒ

FAWK that guy!

Bye.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:54 PM   #625
Hoggwild
Eight Point

Just like this guy did

Old 11-12-2019, 07:58 PM   #626
quackadikt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
No itís not a valid excuse! Thatís like someone rolling up to a duck hole 10min after legal shooting time and setting up!

These types of people will locate other stands and set up 100yrds...and call it good. You wonder how I know?

BS - say a guy just moved to the area and wants to find a place to hunt. He goes out in the middle of the day for a couple of hours to look around because thatís the first chance heís got...not a thing wrong with that. And something everyone has to deal with because itís public.

No different than someone that has never duck hunted a lake and sits at the landing or in the middle of open water the first day of a trip somewhere to watch birds.

Youíve got to learn the land somehow or another. Itís not ideal, but I wouldnít NOT hunt if I moved somewhere during the middle of the year because I was worried about scouting and someone getting their panties wadded up.

quackadikt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 08:00 PM   #627
Hoggwild
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackadikt View Post
BS - say a guy just moved to the area and wants to find a place to hunt. He goes out in the middle of the day for a couple of hours to look around because thatís the first chance heís got...not a thing wrong with that. And something everyone has to deal with because itís public.

No different than someone that has never duck hunted a lake and sits at the landing or in the middle of open water the first day of a trip somewhere to watch birds.

Youíve got to learn the land somehow or another. Itís not ideal, but I wouldnít NOT hunt if I moved somewhere during the middle of the year because I was worried about scouting and someone getting their panties wadded up.

My season is done- I could careless!

But these are the folks that will get pizz angry that you are hunting near them when they actual set up near you. Thereís people on here i PM/TXT and give them all the info they need to be successful on Sville. Just be respectful guys are hunting..

Old 11-12-2019, 08:02 PM   #628
GD47
Six Point

Well ask around and read up I'm that guy who will make your trip wasted and so if you walk threw while I'm hunting trust me I'll make you make a wasted trip and gas.... lol so hope to see yall out there soon

Old 11-12-2019, 08:05 PM   #629
toomuchsun
Four Point

Quote:

you sir imply situations that absolutely do not apply to me. I am sorry I ever tried to communicate here. And it is public hunt and it is valid. My Lord who gave this land to a select few. I have never hunted public land and only my own or properties I managed. Many folks travel and enjoy the opportunities. I lost my past places to hunt again and decided to try some public stuff. Lessons learned. This generation suffers. And rapidly loosing faith in decency when communicating as well. Im out.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:06 PM   #630
Trumpkin
Six Point

Hunt In: Sore Finger!!!

Hey man, I'm not arguing for the guys who don't have any respect for your stand. I'm just saying there are occasionally folks who only get to start learning the land mid season. It is possible to scout respectfully and find your own spots during the season.
Trumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 08:07 PM   #631
quackadikt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpkin View Post
Hey man, I'm not arguing for the guys who don't have any respect for your stand. I'm just saying there are occasionally folks who only get to start learning the land mid season. It is possible to scout respectfully and find your own spots during the season.

Exactly.

quackadikt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 08:08 PM   #632
Hoggwild
Eight Point

Quote:

I agree 100%

A lot of the guys here will share info. Walking into this group with ďIím gonna go tromping aroundĒ is not a great way to join in!

Old 11-12-2019, 08:11 PM   #633
toomuchsun
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GD47 View Post
Well ask around and read up I'm that guy who will make your trip wasted and so if you walk threw while I'm hunting trust me I'll make you make a wasted trip and gas.... lol so hope to see yall out there soon

Shame!
Old 11-12-2019, 08:15 PM   #634
Hoggwild
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fthoodtanker View Post
Hoggwild u scared to post it

Lol just messing wit ya

Wonít let me post video. But I posted a pic of it!!

Old 11-12-2019, 09:18 PM   #635
toomuchsun
Four Point

Unreal. No wonder hunters are getting such a bad rap. I will leave this site as it is not who I am as a Brother and hunter. Fun is one thing but I hear false childlike bullying. Folks if this is who we are I have nothing but pity for you. I am trying to get my grandchildren involved. The more I see on these sites, the less I can advocate them learning the wood and respectful hunting from this website. Be careful. Ask around.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:20 PM   #636
GD47
Six Point

Quote:
Unreal. No wonder hunters are getting such a bad rap. I will leave this site as it is not who I am as a Brother and hunter. Fun is one thing but I hear false childlike bullying. Folks if this is who we are I have nothing but pity for you. I am trying to get my grandchildren involved. The more I see on these sites, the less I can advocate them learning the wood and respectful hunting from this website. Be careful. Ask around.
As you said BYE

Old 11-13-2019, 12:41 PM   #637
forest-hunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Sam

Quote:
As you said BYE

Has the rut started in Somerville? Seems to be going everywhere else, Thx
forest-hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2019, 12:42 PM   #638
greenmonstah
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest-hunter View Post
Saw two bucks and a doe last weekend and each were by themselves and didn't really seem interested in anything else. Everything I have on cameras is by itself also. My guess would be no.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk
greenmonstah is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2019, 12:43 PM   #639
GD47
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest-hunter View Post
First week of dec is when its started past 3 seasons so it shouldnt be long

Old 11-13-2019, 12:57 PM   #640
forest-hunter
Eight Point

Quote:
First week of dec is when its started past 3 seasons so it shouldnt be long

ThankYou
Old 11-13-2019, 12:57 PM   #641
forest-hunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmonstah View Post
Saw two bucks and a doe last weekend and each were by themselves and didn't really seem interested in anything else. Everything I have on cameras is by itself also. My guess would be no.

ThankYou
Old 11-13-2019, 01:08 PM   #642
verter
Spike

Quote:
I agree 100%

A lot of the guys here will share info. Walking into this group with ďIím gonna go tromping aroundĒ is not a great way to join in!
Exactly!!!

All these ingnorant newcomers saying this is public land and I'll do whatever I want, have no idea how much each existing hunter has invested.

This my 2nd season and before I even step a foot on this land, I read ALL posts in this thread. I was new to PL hunting as well, but I wasn't going to just go and see what's what before learning about "unwritten rules". I did my scouting well before a deer season. That's just common sense and respectful to others.

But if you still decide to do it, God help you if you ruin my hunt. I hunt weekdays mostly btw.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:12 PM   #643
GD47
Six Point

Quote:
Exactly!!!

All these ingnorant newcomers saying this is public land and I'll do whatever I want, have no idea how much each existing hunter has invested.

This my 2nd season and before I even step a foot on this land, I read ALL posts in this thread. I was new to PL hunting as well, but I wasn't going to just go and see what's what before learning about "unwritten rules". I did my scouting well before a deer season. That's just common sense and respectful to others.

But if you still decide to do it, God help you if you ruin my hunt. I hunt weekdays mostly btw.
This could get very interesting lol

Old 11-13-2019, 01:14 PM   #644
greenmonstah
Four Point

Quote:
Exactly!!!

Let me start by saying that I am 100% in agreeance with you. My question is this. A buddy and I discussed going and hunting Sam Houston one weekend this season just to do something different. I wasn't going to scout but we were going to go in early just like a regular hunt and pick a spot according to what we saw on a map. Usually it's dark when you arrive so there's no way to really know if you are on top of someone else. If I saw any signs of another hunter being around I would move along. Is that really an issue?

Old 11-13-2019, 01:17 PM   #645
GD47
Six Point

Quote:
Let me start by saying that I am 100% in agreeance with you. My question is this. A buddy and I discussed going and hunting Sam Houston one weekend this season just to do something different. I wasn't going to scout but we were going to go in early just like a regular hunt and pick a spot according to what we saw on a map. Usually it's dark when you arrive so there's no way to really know if you are on top of someone else. If I saw any signs of another hunter being around I would move along. Is that really an issue?

Most of us have multiple spots picked out so I do what ya want just saying depending on the day I'll ruin both our hunts for the fun of it lol

Old 11-13-2019, 03:16 PM   #646
JMKro
Six Point

Hunt In: Shelby, TX

Quote:
There you go. I think everyone on here is essentially saying the same thing, it's just being taken different ways. At the end of the day, it IS public land. Some people do things the "right" way, and some people don't give a ****. As far as I'm concerned, it is what it is. Prepare for the worst, and hope for the best.
JMKro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2019, 03:36 PM   #647
ladybluearm
Eight Point

My 2 cents worth....My husband and I used to hunt the Sam, many years ago, he put up a ladder stand for me to hunt, Saturday morning was fine, went to it Saturday afternoon and walked upon a man sitting in it, when my husband told him that it was our stand, he refused to exit the stand. Needless to say, it wasn't a quiet evening hunt for the man, we stood about 20 yards away and made as much noise as we could until he exited the stand, took it down and went back to camp. It is public land, but that was our stand, we scouted the area, he should have been respectful and moved on when he came upon our stand. And no, the stand was not there over the allotted time. Some people just don't have any respect what so ever!
ladybluearm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2019, 05:29 PM   #648
verter
Spike

Quote:
I don't see it as an issue. You are hunting, not scouting. If some people think it's the same thing, it's not. When you have a spot to get to, you arrive early and try to do it very stealthy. When scouting, you arrive at your convenience and don't have stealth as a top priority.

Last edited by verter; 11-13-2019 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-24-2019, 09:10 AM   #649
GD47
Six Point

Well my deer have left the county been out for a month due to pneumonia come hunt today and ghost town so far....

Old 11-24-2019, 10:52 AM   #650
greenmonstah
Four Point

Quote:
Well my deer have left the county been out for a month due to pneumonia come hunt today and ghost town so far....

Same for me yesterday. Had deer on camera all week at all hours. A couple shooter bucks. Went out yesterday morning and ghosted. Bucks were on camera at midnight and didn't show back up until midnight last night. No moon so I thought we were in for a good hunt. Not so much.