Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mixing it up: What makes a great shoot "great".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mixing it up: What makes a great shoot "great".

After reading a couple of the threads concerning a few of the shoots from this weekend, I thought it might be a good idea to have a list of preferences, wants, etc.

I think we have established that not everyone wants a "hard"(stretched to max) course... so let's try not to continue beating that horse. Also, I wouldn't want this to turn into a bash fest so to speak... let's keep it constructive and helpful, to the shooters as well as the hard working folks who put on these shoots.

The ASA guidelines Mike posted are a GREAT start, and as I stated, I do my best to follow them, and accentuate some extras that I myself like as a shooter while remembering the requests, concerns & suggestions I have received via many years of hosting or helping host dozens of shoots.

SO... let's, as shooters and host clubs, range captains etc, start a "wish list" of sorts, keeping in mind that variety is what keeps these things fun, and variety is certainly something we're going to see from one venue to the next just from the vast differences in terrain spread across the Lone Star State.

I think this will become very useful info for the many new clubs and shooters we gain year to year, especially the new shooters.

What we try to accomplish at Brownwood Bowhunters...

1. Follow the ASA guidelines provided, use it as a check off list in the week leading up to the shoot... follow it, and it is usually pretty smooth sailing.

2. If available, use experienced 3D shooters to help determine lanes, target sets, pair them up, so someone can be down range with the potential target while the other stands at the stake to "eye-ball" it. Things look a lot different to the one guy dragging a Mule Deer target downrange and looking back toward the stake.

3. Try to allow for spacing between targets, with obstructed views when necessary... keeps the "pacers" in check

4, When at all possible, try to keep the "loop"(shooting and waiting area) in the shade.

5. When assigning target groups at registration, try to space the groups out to avoid the log jam(not always possible). And consider assigning a range official or 2 to keep the groups moving at a good pace.

6. Did I mention, follow the ASA guidelines?

7. Make good use of your terrain, vegetation, trees, shadows etc.

8. There is no rule or requirement that the path to the target needs to be a 10' wide, straight, mowed lane from the stake to the target... wind it around cactus patches, brush, taller grass... this can add "challenge" without having to add difficulty.

9. If possible, provide "roving concessions", via 4 wheeler or hire a couple kids to haul a cart loaded with sodas, bottled water, snacks etc up and down the course.

10. Speaking of the course, we all know by now, that some walking is to be involved getting from the start area, to the prospective range. Remember the more "seasoned" archers out there, not everyone is physically suited to hump jagged, loose rocks and steep inclines. Maybe plan to have a shuttle of some kind available, a golf cart trailer with a few hay bails goes a long way.

10.5 Above all, Make it SAFE none of this is worth a snake bite, twisted/broken ankle, wayward arrow, heat stroke or worse.

Now, a few things I like to see as shooter/competitor.

1. I personally like a "challenging course", don't even mind a "difficult" course... I shoot because I LOVE to shoot, and honestly, I'm not out there trying to beat YOU specifically ... I'm there to beat your course(as best I can) and better myself as an archer... cookie cutter, chip shot courses can still be fun too, because in the end you/we/I the archer still have to make the shot. Regardless of how close or far it is.

2. I'm not particular(or adverse really) to shots or courses that resemble a "hunting situation"... let's get that one straight once and for all. ASA 3D is not intended to mirror "hunting" situations... it's simply "target" archery, the targets just happen to resemble animals. If it were meant to resemble hunting situations, we'd be shooting from, tree stand, blinds, through feeder legs...and the animals wouldn't stand there for 5 minutes while we glassed them, scratched our heads and set a sight indicator. above all...keep the scoring rings visible.

3. LISTEN during the briefing prior to kick off......ask questions if you are unsure as to ASA scoring, it will cut down on confusion when it comes time to score and pull arrows...thus, keeping the pace moving right along.

4. Shooting with your "buddys" is cool now and then, but don't be afraid to mix it up, shoot with another group, meet new folks, learn new tricks, share some of yours...even if it means shooting outside your "comfort" zone, play up to your competition at the stake, it will do wonders for your shooting down the road.

5. Be ready when you're up, make your shot and move off the stake take a peak at your handy work while someone else is readying for their shot, remember the groups behind you.... don't be "that guy".

6. If you're scoring, score the other guys arrows in the same manner and fairness as you would like yours called. If you have to stare and look at a close jar licker 8 that miiiight be a 10, man up, and call it like it is.(unless it's Gene Curry's arrow...then it's always OUT)

7. If you just gotta have a trophy so badly, that you would cheat a fellow shooter..... save everyone the aggravation and take up golf. Trust me, I would rather see the cheater give up(preferably ran out) this sport than the other 3,7, or 10 shooters He/She might potentially drive away from it. If you witness this behavior, call it to the attention of the host club officers or ASA officials... no one likes being cheated, but they dislike feeling like they were allowed to be cheated even more.

9.Feedback: Thank the host club and the folks who worked their butts off to make the shoot possible, as well as the many shops who donate prizes etc.

10. Most importantly....support your surrounding clubs by going to their shoots... we as clubs have existed through the years mainly due to participation and the support of shooters from all over the state.

Please feel free to add to this list. As a shooter and from the perspective of the guy pounding in the stakes and flipping the burgers. Critique is a great thing, let's keep it constructive and use it to benefit our shoots in the future.
    Last edited by Let's go Brandon!; 05-24-2011, 12:25 AM.

11. Please consider the targets being set. Some targets aren't meant to be set at long distances. ( Bedded Doe at 43yds )

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
      11. Please consider the targets being set. Some targets aren't meant to be set at long distances. ( Bedded Doe at 43yds )
      ??? What? You don't like the bedded deer at 46 yards? What about the javalina at 43 yards and quartered??? I thought we were practicing for an episode of Impossible Shots! Byron would be proud!
      I already voiced my wishes on the other thread, but I wish I had more time to help set -up at my club.

Comment

Originally posted by CutTheLoop View Post
        After reading a couple of the threads concerning a few of the shoots from this weekend, I thought it might be a good idea to have a list of preferences, wants, etc.

I think we have established that not everyone wants a "hard"(stretched to max) course... so let's try not to continue beating that horse. Also, I wouldn't want this to turn into a bash fest so to speak... let's keep it constructive and helpful, to the shooters as well as the hard working folks who put on these shoots.

The ASA guidelines Mike posted are a GREAT start, and as I stated, I do my best to follow them, and accentuate some extras that I myself like as a shooter while remembering the requests, concerns & suggestions I have received via many years of hosting or helping host dozens of shoots.

SO... let's, as shooters and host clubs, range captains etc, start a "wish list" of sorts, keeping in mind that variety is what keeps these things fun, and variety is certainly something we're going to see from one venue to the next just from the vast differences in terrain spread across the Lone Star State.

I think this will become very useful info for the many new clubs and shooters we gain year to year, especially the new shooters.

What we try to accomplish at Brownwood Bowhunters...

1. Follow the ASA guidelines provided, use it as a check off list in the week leading up to the shoot... follow it, and it is usually pretty smooth sailing.

2. If available, use experienced 3D shooters to help determine lanes, target sets, pair them up, so someone can be down range with the potential target while the other stands at the stake to "eye-ball" it. Things look a lot different to the one guy dragging a Mule Deer target downrange and looking back toward the stake.

3. Try to allow for spacing between targets, with obstructed views when necessary... keeps the "pacers" in check

4, When at all possible, try to keep the "loop"(shooting and waiting area) in the shade.

5. When assigning target groups at registration, try to space the groups out to avoid the log jam(not always possible). And consider assigning a range official or 2 to keep the groups moving at a good pace.

6. Did I mention, follow the ASA guidelines?

7. Make good use of your terrain, vegetation, trees, shadows etc.

8. There is no rule or requirement that the path to the target needs to be a 10' wide, straight, mowed lane from the stake to the target... wind it around cactus patches, brush, taller grass... this can add "challenge" without having to add difficulty.

9. If possible, provide "roving concessions", via 4 wheeler or hire a couple kids to haul a cart loaded with sodas, bottled water, snacks etc up and down the course.

10. Speaking of the course, we all know by now, that some walking is to be involved getting from the start area, to the prospective range. Remember the more "seasoned" archers out there, not everyone is physically suited to hump jagged, loose rocks and steep inclines. Maybe plan to have a shuttle of some kind available, a golf cart trailer with a few hay bails goes a long way.

10.5 Above all, Make it SAFE none of this is worth a snake bite, twisted/broken ankle, wayward arrow, heat stroke or worse.

Now, a few things I like to see as shooter/competitor.

1. I personally like a "challenging course", don't even mind a "difficult" course... I shoot because I LOVE to shoot, and honestly, I'm not out there trying to beat YOU specifically ... I'm there to beat your course(as best I can) and better myself as an archer... cookie cutter, chip shot courses can still be fun too, because in the end you/we/I the archer still have to make the shot. Regardless of how close or far it is.

2. I'm not particular(or adverse really) to shots or courses that resemble a "hunting situation"... let's get that one straight once and for all. ASA 3D is not intended to mirror "hunting" situations... it's simply "target" archery, the targets just happen to resemble animals. If it were meant to resemble hunting situations, we'd be shooting from, tree stand, blinds, through feeder legs...and the animals wouldn't stand there for 5 minutes while we glassed them, scratched our heads and set a sight indicator. above all...keep the scoring rings visible.

3. LISTEN during the briefing prior to kick off......ask questions if you are unsure as to ASA scoring, it will cut down on confusion when it comes time to score and pull arrows...thus, keeping the pace moving right along.

4. Shooting with your "buddys" is cool now and then, but don't be afraid to mix it up, shoot with another group, meet new folks, learn new tricks, share some of yours...even if it means shooting outside your "comfort" zone, play up to your competition at the stake, it will do wonders for your shooting down the road.

5. Be ready when you're up, make your shot and move off the stake take a peak at your handy work while someone else is readying for their shot, remember the groups behind you.... don't be "that guy".

6. If you're scoring, score the other guys arrows in the same manner and fairness as you would like yours called. If you have to stare and look at a close jar licker 8 that miiiight be a 10, man up, and call it like it is.(unless it's Gene Curry's arrow...then it's always OUT)

7. If you just gotta have a trophy so badly, that you would cheat a fellow shooter..... save everyone the aggravation and take up golf. Trust me, I would rather see the cheater give up(preferably ran out) this sport than the other 3,7, or 10 shooters He/She might potentially drive away from it. If you witness this behavior, call it to the attention of the host club officers or ASA officials... no one likes being cheated, but they dislike feeling like they were allowed to be cheated even more.

9.Feedback: Thank the host club and the folks who worked their butts off to make the shoot possible, as well as the many shops who donate prizes etc.

10. Most importantly....support your surrounding clubs by going to their shoots... we as clubs have existed through the years mainly due to participation and the support of shooters from all over the state.

Please feel free to add to this list. As a shooter and from the perspective of the guy pounding in the stakes and flipping the burgers. Critique is a great thing, let's keep it constructive and use it to benefit our shoots in the future.
        This is the thing that most seem to forget...

Comment

Originally posted by Pistol View Post
          ??? What? You don't like the bedded deer at 46 yards? What about the javalina at 43 yards and quartered??? I thought we were practicing for an episode of Impossible Shots! Byron would be proud!
          I already voiced my wishes on the other thread, but I wish I had more time to help set -up at my club.
          The bedded doe is just the one that came to mind. That Leopard at 43 wasn't fun either.

Comment

1. Ease of travel between targets.
            2. Variety. There is a lot that goes into that one word, but constant range variation, and not a string of like distance shots is one thing that comes to mind. Also a variety of animals and mixing that up. Smaller animals at longer ranges, and larger animals closer is a good mix. Not something crazy like the coyote or javalena(which seems to be everyones favorite to set this way) at max yardage, but something doable like the small deer in 35+ and the large or mule deer right at or under 30.
            3. Clubs are MUCH more aware and proactive for having refreshments during the duration of the shoot, and not just up front with 3 water cans along the way. that has seen a huge improvement in recent years. They are also making a huge effort to keep the water cans full. This is really beneficial to everyone.

One thing that would be very very nice would be butt cans at the stakes. You may not believe this, or may not do it yourselves, but there are people who smoke that shoot 3D. A butt can at the shooting stake, something as simple as a soup can with some sand in it, or even a coffee can with sand would mean that there is a place for the butts, and some respect for smokers. Believe it or not, we do not enjoy trashing up places by throwing our butts everywhere, but have very little option most of the time. And with the upcoming shoot at Young County, this could be a show stopper for me, and has already created an issue at a shoot they had earlier this year.

I have no real complaints about any of the clubs I shoot at, and like I said in another thread, you guys are making the best of what you can with the limited resources you can muster up. The shooters have begun to speak up and ask for something more than just a long drawn out shooting max yardage all day to kill scores and save targets kind of shoot, and I feel completely confident that the clubs will give the shooters exactly what they are asking for. Remember, Texas is leading the nation in shoots for a reason!!

Comment

Here's a few of our set up points "secrets to setting up a range"

* Use the ASA guidelines.
              * Safety first - consider the shot angles, arrow trach, and groups of shooters
              * Use binoculars to ensure the lanes are clean. (I think I finally get through with this point.)
              * Use a range finder to ensure all stakes are within max allowed. In this day and age, there is no reason for there not to be at least one person with a RF.
              * Consider the different heights of people and right hand and left hand shooters. A 9 year old kid is not as tall as a 29 year old man.
              * Narrow lanes are for compound shooters, open it up a little for the trad shooters.

Comment

Glenn - when you first said "butt can" I was thinking a place to sit down.

Comment

Dusty, most of the Trad shooters that I know, including myself, don't care if the only thing you can see is the kill zone, and having to stretch just to see that much of the target is not a problem either. We consider that to be a fun part of the game, and after all, this IS a game. We don't mid shooting through trees, off our knees, or anything else so long as it is the same for everyone. We CANNOT, for the most part, shoot effectively past 20 or 25 yards.

Wayne

Comment

Before someone else brings this up

Also...when setting a range...be aware of the vertically challenged shooters as well as the vertically enhanced ones...many times what is a clear path for the tall guy becomes an impossible shot for the short one and vice versa...nuff said

Comment

I almost forgot...

Especially where the Youth and family aspect is concerned, take lots of pictures.

Memories... la la, la...la la la

Click image for larger version

Name:	charlie (402 x 600).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	23993722

Comment

Lot's of good feedback except for the "butt cans at the stakes".

Not interested in shooting with or near another smoker. Not bashing on smoking, only on smoking during a competition/shoot. Cig smoke is HIGHLY annoying (second hand smoke arguments aside) to non smokers. You want to smoke, go in the parking lot.

Clubs that start making preparations to allow smokers and support smoking during the event will lose my support. In fact I'd like to see the ASA ban smoking on the course (if they haven't already got a rule in place).
                        Last edited by CarbonExtreme; 05-24-2011, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonExtreme View Post
                          Lot's of good feedback except for the "butt cans at the stakes".

Not interested in shooting with or near another smoker. Not bashing on smoking, only on smoking during a competition/shoot. Cig smoke is HIGHLY annoying (second hand smoke arguments aside) to non smokers. You want to smoke, go in the parking lot.

Clubs that start making preparations to allow smokers and support smoking during the event will lose my support. In fact I'd like to see the ASA ban smoking on the course (if they haven't already got a rule in place).
                          Some of us go WAAAAYYY out our way to not bother other shooters. I make sure I get down wind and far enough away to not bother anyone. I also put mine out with a squirt from my water bottle and put the butt in my pocket. I don't throw them down at home, I ain't gonna do it anywhere else either.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonExtreme View Post

Clubs that start making preparations to allow smokers at the stake will lose my support.
                            Not really a question of choice for some clubs anyway... our property is leased from the City, and if they impose a burn(or smoking ban) We would have no choice but to follow & enforce it... especially considering the fires and dry conditions this year alone.

As far as butt cans go... we had a crusty old Sergeant Major in the Army who would actually walk up to a group of soldiers, ask "who here smokes?", hands would raise, He would then have them turn out there pockets.....God help you if you didn't have a least a few cig-butts.

His stance was, the Army "issued" you 2 perfectly good butt cans.

Comment

Originally posted by Davik View Post
                              Also...when setting a range...be aware of the vertically challenged shooters as well as the vertically enhanced ones...many times what is a clear path for the tall guy becomes an impossible shot for the short one and vice versa...nuff said
                              I need to update the ASA Guidelines Letter.....

Item 17. Cut all grass from stake to target extra low for David.

Comment

Working...
                              X